The Flick Roll - How do YOU do yours?

Andy Mc

We had a discussion at the field the other day about the correct way to do a flick roll or snap roll.

The were several thoughts on the matter, so I was wondering....

Is there a "trusted" combination in moving the sticks?

Is there a right or wrong way to flick?

Edited By Andy Mc on 22/06/2013 20:24:45

Martin, from the photos I've seen taken in cockpit for full size aeros, the ailerons get used as well as the stick gets rammed into either top or bottom left/right corners. I find that sticks in the corner, apart from the throttle that is, works for me. My Wot4 flicks so fast it's difficult to stop it for one flick. Two flicks are easier. My F3A machine is much easier to stop as it resumes normal flight almost as soon as I return the sticks to their normal position so it's quite easy to do 1/2 a flick even.

So assuming all three axis are used, elevator, aileron and rudder...

Do the aileron and rudder go the same way (eg. both sticks to the right (assuming mode 2)) ?

Or is it right aileron with left rudder or vice versa?

Edited By Andy Mc on 23/06/2013 00:21:06

Mine go the same way - but I think I can see where this discussion is going though as opposite aileron might, in theory, give an instantaneous kick in the flick direction due to the extra drag from the downgoing aileron and increased tendency to tip stall.

My (empirical) feeling is that if the controls are applied at the same instant, the overall tendency would be for the ailerons to contribute to the flick in the conventional sense as the roll would have started before the AoA reached the stall.

Perhaps this is something best put to the test next time I'm at the field?

Or have any of our contributors already experimented?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/06/2013 01:23:38

Full elevator, full right (or left) rudder and aileron. Easy.

But for my favourite manoeuvre, the avalanche you do it at the top of the loop.

Technically it should be a negative flick at the top of a loop but I do a positive one.

Getting the timing right so that the loop continues on the same line can be tricky but when you get it right it is so satisfying.

Well flick rolls start with full rudder and full elevator, but if I want a different tumble they may also get aileron in either direction and full throttle. Sometimes they then drop into a spin which sometimes gets a bit slow to get out of even with full spin recovery inputs, but ususally it recovers in time!

Sometimes it's just a roll, sometimes it's an end-over-end, sometimes it's a cartwheel. smiley

When I was learning to fly I quite often performed this maneouvre involuntarily and almost always immediately after lift off.

Later on I had a Lazy Bee and this did the most violent flick rolls, not having ailerons it was full throttle and full up and full left rudder. Never failed to amuse me until the wing retaining bands failed....embarrassed

Edited By Braddock, VC on 25/06/2013 11:15:45

• 5 weeks later...

The flick roll is a dinamic stall, so ailerons shouldn't be used. In theory, only elevator should be used, to trigger a lost of lift by breaking the laminar flow over the wing. The problem with many models is that the profil is too small to perform correctly ("scale effect" )and this inefficiency is compesated with speed (in general models' speed is not "scale" ), which means that the model has a lot more of kinetic energy and inertia than it should, hence we need to support with ailerons and / or rudder

Edited By Alejandro Valle Carrillo on 24/07/2013 12:44:13