Tribute to the DH Mosquito

Advert

I've just watched program, I thought it was excellent.

I liked the enthusiasm of the presenter, I think we'll see more of him and his interest in aircraft on the TV

The program wouldn't have been complete without mention of the dreadful accident that happend at Barton Airshow (where the last British flying Mozzy crashed into view of the airshow crowd). I was there that day, not a pleasant sight.

I also liked how the program built to the end where the presenter got to fly in the aircraft in the USA.

The program should be available on a 'catch up' system somewhere, well worth a watch.

Edited By avtur on 26/07/2013 08:09:34

I enjoyed it, I always like programmes like this, but didn't like the general theme that it was the "Plane that saved Britain". A fantastic aircraft which came along at the right time and well suited to the role in which it was used, but was it more important than a dozen or so other aircraft both British and American which helped to win the air war? I think not.

Posted by Brian Hammond on 26/07/2013 08:38:18:

I noticed that the early ones had 5 exhaust stacks each side,how is this possible on a V12?

The rear pipe taking the output from two cylinders lasted for a very short time, but was nesessary to allow the fitting of the two stage supercharger.

I still have a 1/72 solid scale model of the Mosquito, which I made in 1943 when I was 13, not long after it came into service. This programme inspired me to repair it, as a few bits came off years ago. The U/C does actually retract, but I'll have to make some new doors for it, as they are missing.

Another thing they didn't mention in the programme was that the Mosquito was partly derived from the DH Comet racer of about 1935.

Posted by Tom Sharp on 27/07/2013 00:41:10:

What about the later DH Hornet, a much prettier version of the Mosquito.

Well, I said there'd be no argument from me - it's just a personal opinion.

It is my personal opinion that the Hornet is nowhere near as beautifully proportioned as the Mosquito...

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/07/2013 17:28:22

Now there's a thought! But there again, it wouldn't have sounded anywhere near as wonderful as a pair of Merlins - I always feel that the later Griffon engined Spitfires sound very harsh. Obviously the best performance was the important factor at the time...

There's an interesting project apparently under way - I hadn't realised that there are no complete Hornets surviving...

A great program I thought not alot of new information but great to see a Mossie in the air again.

I actually fly right by the mossie museum and everytime I drive past the hanger and the doors are open I cant help but slow down and look at the gorgous mosquito just poking out the hanger

Found this great video shot from on board the Mossie whilst flying with a Lanc enjoy

Ah yes Barton ... what does it call itself these days ... City Airport Manchester?

The Mossy incident was a tragic site ... not something I care to remember.

A Spitfire was lost on the runway in front of the Woodford Airshow crowd a couple of years later ... sad