FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

Hello John

Just a thought when i first had my Taranis she wouldn't talk when she got cold but on returning home and getting warmed up again began talking again. I did read somewhere that it could be a problem with the sd card so i changed it for a branded one, she hasn't shut up since even on the coldest days. Hope this is of use to you.

Colin

Posted by funflyerColin on 28/02/2016 21:51:37:

Hello John

Just a thought when i first had my Taranis she wouldn't talk when she got cold but on returning home and getting warmed up again began talking again. I did read somewhere that it could be a problem with the sd card so i changed it for a branded one, she hasn't shut up since even on the coldest days. Hope this is of use to you.

Colin

I'm thinking you have it right Colin, definitely a temperature thing, maybe she's after a mink coat wink

John

I did the same (fitted a better loudspeaker) not to make it louder, but to make it clearer. I have a moderate hearing impairment which volume doesn't help much. Like many, it's merely a loss of higher frequencies which means waveform edges are blurred and poor quality loudspeakers make it worse.

As for disturbing other flyers, as there a few people flying at the same time and often none, my timer at minute intervals is unlikely to upset anyone. If I'm flying my Phoenix 2K with a vario/altimeter which reports either continuously (vario) or every 10 seconds(altimeter) I use a headset on one ear if it's likely to interfere with anyone else's enjoyment. I never, ever play music when flying or cycling and rarely when driving and I never share my taste in music with anyone else which is more than can be said for many pop music fans.

Geoff

I did the up grade mainly for better clarity as Geoff has done for the same reasons, as for upsetting other flyers that's not a problem as there is hardly ever more than one flying at a time. The club is relatively new and the members are not so keen on multiple flyers so is generally one at a time. This is one thing i miss from the club i used to belong to, flying with half a dozen in the air at once noisy nitros at that miss the camaraderie and fun. Although nitro, petrol and electric are allowed, i myself have both A and B certs which no one else at the club have so i try to give guidance as and when i can. So as for upsetting other flyers i use my common sense which isn't so common these days.

My comment was only made in jest. If the speaker mod makes your flying for enjoyable, then good for you.

I have a wireless ear piece that I use when there are a lot of people around, or when it is very noisy. I only have hearing in one ear so the earpiece helps me.

This takes me back some years to when we were all using the old Picolario Varios. At our aerotow meetings most of the pilots were walking round with earpieces hanging on one ear. We had a French glider pilot visiting, who did not speak much English, so he would send his daughter off to get the only tug pilot with a large enough tug to haul up his 80 Lb glider. Unbeknown to her said tug pilot is very deaf. All went well until she approached him from behind, and could not understand why he was ignoring her. Bemused she went back to her farther and explained the situation. Dad told her to return, get in front of him and shout. Can you not see he is deaf, he has hearing aids in both ears. The young lady looked around, and then at her father and said. But you all have hearing aids are you all deaf.

Those were the days....

BC

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a taranis with the eu firmware on, but have just got a new x8R receiver with EU LBT ?

Do I further need to upgrade the firmware on the xjt as I don't seem to be able to bind to this X8r.

And if I do does that then mean I need to change all my other 8xr receivers to EU LBT?

Yes, you will have to upgrade. The taranis, and all the receivers have to be on the same issue of the RF firmware.

It can all be done with the Taranis, if you use Mike Blandford's modified 2.0.** program. I think if you are on 2.1.?? the manitenance mode is built in.

Hopefully Frsky have it right this time, and we will not have to upgrade again. Still it is nice to have a system that is upgradable.

BC

Edited By Barry Cole 2 on 20/04/2016 14:08:24

Edited By Barry Cole 2 on 20/04/2016 14:09:17

At the moment you could reprogram the LBT Rx to the same firmware as your other RXs.

I have been informed recently (but can't verify) that after June of this year there will be a firmware block on all new Rxs which will not allow you to go back to the EU standard firmware, which means new Rxs will be only operable on LBT standard firmware.

There is a warning on the FrSky website to say that there are some range issues with the EU firmware and users should upgrade to the LBT EU firmware.

If you look at the topic I put on here last week, it directs you to some Taranis documentation part of which includes how to upgrade the FrSky firmware on receivers.

Edited By Andy48 on 20/04/2016 17:08:43

Posted by Darran on 20/04/2016 12:55:33:

Bummer

So I have to upgrade the XJT firmware and then all of my older X8R's for a second time from the eu firmware I did last year to the EU LBT firmware ?

Yes, correct. You should do this anyway as the v1 EU firmware was known to cause range issues in some instances - see Frsky's initial announcement on the topic and their subsequent release of LBT as the new standard in all RXs and TXs sold in the EU from now on.

Posted by Steve Balaam on 20/04/2016 15:42:03:

At the moment you could reprogram the LBT Rx to the same firmware as your other RXs.

I have been informed recently (but can't verify) that after June of this year there will be a firmware block on all new Rxs which will not allow you to go back to the EU standard firmware, which means new Rxs will be only operable on LBT standard firmware.

It's still not 100% verified (as always it is only likely to be announced officially by FrSky at the last moment), but the rumour is that it's the other way round. Only the TXs and modules will be locked against upgrades come June as per the revised ETSI regs, but the RXs (because of their lower transmitting power) will still be flashable. If that is the case it should allow users with pre June 16th 2016 kit to still use Int'l or EU firmware on their TXs and still be able to source RXs in the EU.

Time will tell how this plays out, but it is clear that some German suppliers have already received TXs that cannot be flashed with different RF firmware. These two RCGroups threads give a lot more info...

Edited By MattyB on 20/04/2016 18:11:01