Southern Model Show 2013

Advert

Yep - Saturday. Rain forecast all day. will take wellies.

The airshow site states  - "Heritage are a very experienced events management company organising  Folkestone Airshow.....”, 

Hmm. Folkestone was cancelled, They also organised Manson which was a debacle... I remain optimistic as I love Headcorn.

Edited By Stevo on 11/09/2013 16:55:43

Gutted! Couldn't manage to get to the show until 1pm today (Sunday) but checked the time table of events which said flying would go on into the early evening. So arrived with the family at 1.20pm paid £35 entrance fee , watched one (excellent) flying display, then at 2pm it was announced that flying had been cancelled for the rest of the show! What ?!?!?

Spoke to a few traders (who were not happy about it) to get some more info, apparently it was due to the 'possibility' of rain.

Of course, when the flying stops, everyone, traders and all, pack up and go home. So I paid £35 for about 1.5 hours of entertainment at the show.

Not half the amount of trade stalls and other activities as previous shows, and precious little for the kids to do.

I think a partial refund is due to me and the others who attended the show today and were short changed.

Shame, I look forward to the show every year, but doubt I'll be attending next year now.

I decided last night not to go today on account of the weather, then changed my mind this morning when I saw the forecast was marginally better less bad than it had been.

I arrived just in time to see the full-size/model pair as pictured above - looked good, though I saw most of the display on the walk from the car park into the show! The flying was curtailed early as the strong (cross) wind was getting worse and rain was on the way. Given better weather it would have been a good show, I think the venue is a good one though I wonder how long the queues would have been to get out onto the main road had everybody left at the end as normal rather than being spread out over the afternoon.

Trying to remain objective...

Went Saturday, arrived at 9:30. Parked straight away, 2 minute walk and I was in. It looked quite packed.

However the toilets were right by the entrance (only found that after walking right to the other side) and rather smelly they were too. Flying started at 10:00, with the rather annoying commentary - far too loud. Do an introduction and let the flying speak for itself please!! Rain holding off. SLEC not open until 10:30.

I specifically wanted an 11x6e and 5x4e props and some prop adaptors. Went in all the stalls, in 5 minutes flat. NOTHING. BRC/Robotbirds were well missed. Had a burger at lunch, reasonable choice. OK ish prices.

Walked around the stalls again - 5 minutes. Drizzle in the air. Left at 12:00. Flying was good.

Plus points -

Parking; ease of access - site layout - flying

Cons -

Toilets, lack of traders, lack of choices in the traders tent - annoying commentary.

I believe that both the weathernd recession must have hit the traders, but doubtful if I would return next year

Well I camped there for the weekend and I must say for me it was a very good show

You should have been there for the night flying was fantastic best part of the show

Toilets were at both ends of the field there were plenty of very nice and help full traders all giving a good service !!

There were props of all sizes in rapid rc tent and others including the sizes you were after

As far as I know traders can open and shut when they want maybe slec had a problem that morning !!!

I will return next year Iam sure it will be even better .

As for the commentary lets hope it's louder next year well done db sound !!!

For those who weren't there, and it's not obvious from the photo, but one of the planes flying is a model and the other a full size Extra! Of course that's the point of the display - it was very difficult to decide which was which when they were flying. Very clever and a first anywhere according to Dave Bishop.

As the pair are sponsored by RCME it seemed a little weird to hear the commentator plug a rival magazine whilst the RCME pilots were posing for photos on Saturday. But of course ADH had a stand at the show whilst RCME did not. It just seemed the wrong time to mention them.
But all in all a good show on Saturday despite the weather.
I understand the pilots not wanting to take risks with the wind but there should be some agreement with the traders to ensure they are open until the advertised closing time.

Edited By kc on 15/09/2013 19:07:06

Edited By kc on 15/09/2013 19:17:03

many thanks to me brother for driving the 1hr 20min drive down on Sunday, arrived in good time and parked 2min walk from the gates and watched the sky diving until the gates opened at 9.30

Steve at the far end of the flight line there was a big toilet sign (towards the campers section) and they were clean enough for me.

And i got a bargain from Inwoods too...seagull funfly3d for 95 quid (torn box and small hole in wing tip end)

The wind made the commentary quite pleasant to the ears and i thought DB was on good form on sunday.

the pyrotechnics were brought forward because of the winds and expected rain we left at 1.45 and the show finished at two spitting with rain then.

I had been to the old venue the two years before last years cancellation. Was a nice place for a show, and having a toddler would have been ideal. Attended on Saturday after a 100 mile drive. I dont want to be down on it, but Stevo said it all for me. The lack of trade was a disappointment, and one of the big names was particularly worrying for the lack of variety. I hope the show has a good future, but it needs improvement in my book.

Posted by kc on 15/09/2013 19:03:40:

As the pair are sponsored by RCME it seemed a little weird to hear the commentator plug a rival magazine whilst the RCME pilots were posing for photos on Saturday. But of course ADH had a stand at the show whilst RCME did not. It just seemed the wrong time to mention them.

KC I would not get too worried about sponsorship and advertising if I were you. Not unless you were paying for it teeth 2

One bit of info mentioned at the end of the show - next year it's going to be two weeks earlier.

And now a few pics from the brief bit of flying I saw today.

First the full-size Extra (with RCME sponsorship) departing back to Cambridge (or so DB said, so it must be true...smile p)

img_7225.jpg

A couple of shots of Steve and Matt Bishop's Red Arrows Hawks

img_7107.jpg

img_7109.jpg

And lastly a couple from the pyros at the end of the show.

img_7257.jpg

img_7275.jpg

I attended on Saturday , travelled from Ramsgate by motorcycle and got a soaking along the Thanet Way , nearly turned back but so glad I didn't , there was a noticable lack of traders but I got all the bits and pieces on my shopping list , thoroughly enjoyed the flying, and caught up with some of my flying friends. Full marks to the marshal at the gate for directing me into the airdrome hard standing for my bike. Lets hope for better weather next year!.......Trevor

Edited By Trots on 16/09/2013 07:08:57

Two weeks earlier - that puts it on the August bank holiday weekend?

Indeed and retrospectively, the weather played an important part in this. The common theme here is the noticeable lack of traders, thinking about the last Hop Farm two years ago I would say 40-50% drop? I could spend an hour going round them at the HF, but Saturday I was done in under half of that. As I said, maybe the financial climate, and some may have stayed away due to the HF debacle last year and to see how it pans out this year.

Dave - toilets by the Camping Site? didn't see them but I stand corrected.

Trots - someone else on this forum from.. Kent???

The flight line looked a little lacking too - no WW1 stuff at all... Come to think of it no DP at Wings 'n' Wheels either. Where are you, guys?

I think that was a shame, as the organisation was good so hats off to them for that.

Think I may go next year - I will not buy tickets in advance, but see what the weather is like at that weekend, and make my mind up on the day. A sunny day at Headcorn is worth the trouble.