RCM&E Autumn Special - All electrics!

Solly

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 27/09/2013 08:28:26:
I'm sure electric is the way forward, but really - who would want to listen to a big RC Lancaster with washing machine motors. I'm sure not even the most die hard 'leccy enthusiast would miss the chance of hearing it with 4 four strokes. The sound of an aircraft captures the spirit of it.

Better than seeing that all too common death spiral when that Lancaster loses a motor or two, in flight.

One place where electric flight has made a massive impact is the ease of operating twins and multi-engined models.

Posted by leccyflyer on 28/09/2013 23:21:19:
Posted by cymaz on 27/09/2013 08:28:26:
I'm sure electric is the way forward, but really - who would want to listen to a big RC Lancaster with washing machine motors. I'm sure not even the most die hard 'leccy enthusiast would miss the chance of hearing it with 4 four strokes. The sound of an aircraft captures the spirit of it.

Better than seeing that all too common death spiral when that Lancaster loses a motor or two, in flight.

One place where electric flight has made a massive impact is the ease of operating twins and multi-engined models.

Read my post, 7th down page 2.

CS

Some of us have been trying to inject a little levity into this thread, trying to restore a sense of proportion. They are model aeroplanes gentlemen - it is just a hobby, nothing more - we are not deciding on the future of the country!

So lighten up a bit eh?

Cos if you don't, and the petty point scoring and bickering continues, then all you're showing the rest of us is that you are still not mature enough to discuss this issue in any sensible way. And yet another thread in this area will regretably get shut down.

Once and for all - it doesn't matter how other people choose to power their models! Full stop.

BEB

Quite frankly, I think it has run its course.

The OP expressed an opinion that there was very little to interest an IC user, various people have illustrated that there was a reasonable amount to interest everyone and the thread has deteriorated into a mine's better than your's argument.

I think most modellers these days are aware of the capabilities and benefits of different means of propulsion and can make an informed choice in the matter. We don't need to be told time after time that a particular mode is finished or another is the only logical way to go - clearly, most of us are sufficiently experienced to make our own minds up - or we should be capable of giving constructive advice to newcomers.

Personally I don't even really notice if there are more of one power type or the other being discussed. I always enjoy the magazine for what it is, information on my hobby of choice. I fly glow and electric in both my fixed wing and helis.

I have got to say it is easier to go for a quick flight with electric than glow - plane, transmitter and batteries against plane, transmitter, fuel, starter, glow stick, cloths, cleaning fluid and flight box.......

I'm an i/c flyer and like ARTF's . I can buy a 60's size plane,fit the engine to the mount, use the same fuel as for my other planes , and go fly. I've got 3 electics, with all different sizes of lipos and would require min four of each type which is 12 lipos.

This puts me off electric a bit as the thought of the mounting packs of lipos i'd need for the models i would buy, and where to store them, as i now just have 2 gall's of fuel for all. Simples smiley

But i may have noticed a good trend with Hangar 9. The last two warbirds; the P47 and Bf109, both use the same motors,esc's and battery size. One lipo size fits all. I hope this could be a continueing trend .

Hey David ; what about a review of one of these with electric conversion; full picture installation, and flight test on what the fitted motor is like for power. Have seen one in a mag with i/c but not electric.

Sorry for going off topic.

I thought it was one of the best issues I've seen for a while!

I fly both glow and electric, I don't fly a sparker yet but it's only a matter of finances.

In general I think the balance is always going to swing, sometimes more towards electric and sometimes I/C because the magazine is about model flying not about a particular motive force.

I hate it when aguments like this develop. Modelling is about personal choice and it is in my opinion unnecessary to belittle the views of another modeller.

I love model engines and they got me into flying, not the other way round, but sometimes I just want to fly not operate engines and then electric fills the bill for me.

Whilst I completely understand the point of view of the OP I don't think the latest issue is showing a trend, it was just a reflection on the articles ready for publication at the time.

These are just my thoughts in no particular order.

Shaunie

I started with diesels, moved on to glows, and now I fly electric because it suits me. I have a soft spot for diesels, glows and petrols, I am an engineer, so why wouldn't I? Electric now suits me, but I would never denigrate someones elses choice because its not mine. Far too may people, on far too many topics, believe only they are right, and anyone who does it different is automatically wrong.

As I said earlier, we do this for recreation because we enjoy it, don't we ? Lets lighten up.

The Special was fine from my perspective.

Motive power is a bit of a Red Herring for me as I love all things flying and cover the whole gamut from Kites to indoor 3D, outdoor foamies, glow 3D / scale, 1/4 scale glass gliders to 1/3 glow powered scale and electric helicopters (and a couple of electric cars)obs and I enjoy all of them in equal measure.

Live and let live, if you don't like the content buy another magazine, there's plenty out there.

Regards

John