A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

Advert

Well my pushycat was all finished and ready for her maiden. I tested the motor at full rpm, It started fine for about 5 seconds but then stopped????? On investigation it looks like it was damaged during the crash of my last PC.

Doh, so now had to near enough cut it out, god knows how I'll get the new one in.

baz

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/06/2014 20:25:13:

Cut the back of Baz ?

Mine's out in the open, nice cooling easy access.

John

Yes John I thought of this but it's a last resort if I can't get a new motor to fit as I think it looks so much better with the motor hidden.

I only had to cut a slit out of the back former from the centre hole down, wide enough for the spindle to move down when taking motor out.

baz

Here's a pic of what I have had to do to get my motor out. This is due to installing an extra former with the motor already attached after the rest of the model has been complete. The 2 small holes are to pass an allen key through to undo bulkhead bolts and then the slit was so I could just slide the motor out.

51.jpg

baz

Brfc7

What is required is a really nice blingy motor.

In my case gold end caps (anodised ally) with a nice silver mid barrel.

What would possibly be the ultimate would be purple end caps, with faux leopard or tiger skin barrel. With a nicely dyed propeller, possibly red.

Even though i have had to compromise with my motor colours, I put great store in being able to both, remove and adjust the motor. Just like dragsters, which most PC seem to be, seeing the motor is what gives the final look. Also just like dragsters and F1 cars, you need to be able to cool the motor effectively as well.

Well (DRUM ROLL)

1 she's finished (Started back in November blush)

and

2 she flys smileysmileypartysmileysmiley

New motor arrived yesterday and as it was the same as the one I took out it went straight in yes Little bit of finishing off and checking over C of G, Range check etc and it was done.

So it was down to the field this afternoon 2pm ish, beautiful sunny day with a 5 mile an hour breeze. Got PC ready and a final check over before its first chuck. Launched it under arm and away it went not requiring any aileron trim. Few circuits later and only a bit of down elevator trim required I was smiling from ear to ear. Pulling vertical and it yaws to the right a little so I need to put a washer behind the motor mount to adjust the thrust angle but other than that nothing required yes 5 battery packs later I have to say I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out especially this being my 1st plan build. Their's a few things I would do differently if I build another one but this is all down to learning.

52.jpg

Currently flying her on an 8x6 propellor but have also bought a 9x6 to see if any difference.

PS here's a picture of Blyths (110+ members) field today, Friday afternoon 2pm and the sun was red hot.

54.jpg

I regret to say that my PC (Super Venom) is no more. Today at Greenacres In the mass-build fly-off I messed up the first hand-launch and looped it into the ground! Got away with it, launched again and away it went Got into the fast sweeping jet-like circuits it is so good at. On the fourth circuit while flying back up field it didn't respond to the left input to bring it back across the top of the strip, but just went straight on. It went further away and eventually went in full-bore. I retrieved it later but it's well broken. It would repair but I don't feel like doing it, so that's it.

The only reason I can think of is that I was using a park-fly receiver. It's not been a problem at Fradley but I think I took it farther away here and went out of range.

It's been quite an experience and I did my best, but messed it up big time in the end. I think at this stage in my life I need to stick with bigger slower aeroplanes and leave park-fly receivers in park-flyers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gents. Thanks to Bob for the plan and the magazine, and for posting it to me so quick! I have got a few days in the workshop, and am building one for a club-mate as well. Nice and straight forwards as builds go so not much to report as of tonight they are looking great!

img_9671 (copy).jpg

Just got the carvey bits to do now, and maybe vac form up a canopy or two. We are probably going to paint them, my question is do I need to tissue and dope the surfaces before painting, or could I seal the surfaces and give them a rub down first?

Great news on all the successful flights

Cheers, Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I did write about stuffing my Pushy Cat in, about a fortnight ago. I managed this whilst seeing how small a loop it would pull, when about a quarter of the way through, it suddenly flicked out, then entered a vertical dive, whilst rotating around its longitudinal axis. Very much like a rather prolonged multiple roll. It did not respond to any commands, just kept on going, I gave up, switched to power off, a few more stick waggles, before going in vertically.

At the time I thought the elevator had failed now, i am not so sure, why no aileron responce.

Here is the nose

nose.jpg

The elevator

pustail.jpg

Being a bit more on the stubstational side than a standard Pushy Cat, grafting on a new nose is a bit easier. Probably the best decision I made was to make my body from 1/32" ply and 1/8 balsa sandwich.

new nose.jpg

newunder.jpg

Realising that Nose weight is needed on my model, I decided to make a solid ply nose. The new nose is 2.5mm light ply with 1/16" balasa.

I then glassed the nose using Water based Varnish as the adhesive, matrix material.

newglass.jpg

A trace of glass can be seen in the wing root area.

newpaint.jpg

The new painted nose, just blasted as usual, although I now need to replace the bayonet connector to the compressor as it has bracken.crying 2

The original model

paint1.jpg

Edited By Erfolg on 02/08/2014 13:32:46

Edited By Erfolg on 02/08/2014 13:34:39

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a pic of my PC tonight, after it's 1st full summer with probs 40+ flights. No damage to report so will carry on flying it over the winter too especially as It generally lives in the boot of my car ready for the odd spare minute to get a flight in. Only change from when finished it is I changed canopy from red to black covering yes

53.jpg

Ps Started my Can-Doo build tonight for over the winter smiley

baz

Still looking good Baz. I really regret totalling mine, perhaps I should have had a go at repairing the wreckage rather than binning it. At some point I might knock another one together, if so I will make the same changes as before because it looked great and flew really well. Next time I won't use a park-fly receiver, particularly if I fly it at Greenacres. With the wide circuits you need to fly there, it was a stupid thing to do and I should have known better. Rest in Peace, at least for now.image.jpg

well done Eric....looks really good...... I've had mine in the hangar today for an update in the engine dept(fitted a different one) ....don't want to divulge too much info on a public forum........ but its just enough to see off any imposters at our club site etc...... teeth 2 ....

ken Anderson....ne....1 ...... area 51 dept.

Interesting Ken, Look forward to seeing your upgrades.

Funny I was tempted to try the gear I have for new Radjet (150mph setup) in PC first but couldn't be bothered to change stuff over. (Obviously I will have to if yours is quicker than mine) wink

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 06/11/2014 18:21:57

where I go other's will follow etc.... teeth 2 ..... not ........ the silver one(PC) which was previous the MK3...is now the MK3A and is waiting to be taken to the test site(BVRMC)for its trial's ect....... this will be done behind closed door's(when all the member's are at work) in secret....... to prove the upgrades are working... frown .... don't want the old kulou to rear his head etc.......... remember what happened to the MK4 a couple of week's ago in the hands of the grim reaper himself(old carry)......

ken Anderson...ne...1......testing facilities dept.