Is IC Dead in the Water?

Neil67

Advert

On a personal level I'm flying a lot more I/C. After the initial enthusiasm and virtual changeover to electric, I missed playing with engines and moved back to I/C, even with the smaller 049 and .10 sizes. I just do a bit of electrics for a change. I think a more equal use will be the final outcome.

The good thing is electrics probably revitalised the hobby and has given us another option, especially for indoor flying in the winter months.

Doug

Definitely not dead yet, the majority of my models are I/C - That's what I started with back in 1976. I have nothing against electrics though.

I remember building a Tamiya Holiday Buggy R/C car for a friend back in the early 80's - powered by a 540 motor. Wasn't sure of it at the time until I actually drove it and saw it go, needless to say I was very impressed.

My boats and my Tank are both electrics and I do actually have 2 small electric Heli's - the other 6 Heli's are all Nitro powered as are my R/C Cars.

Electric is quick and convenient but I really do wish the batteries would last longer.

I love the smell of Nitro Fuel,  especially Diesel fuel seeing as I have been around long enough to enjoy them and still have 4 diesel engines. 2 PAW .19's, a very old AM 1.5 Diesel and an MVVS .40 Diesel complete with tuned pipe.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 23/10/2013 04:06:52

I've been modelling since '69 and cut my teeth on ic, but these days, for me at least, there is nothing slightly attractive about the noise, smell or oily residue of ic engines, 2 or 4 stroke. Then there's the issue of reliability, as an example electrics don't need retuning due to weather conditions and they certainly don't shake the heck out the airframe. However, large petrol engines despite the vibration issues are definitely the weapon of choice for larger airframes.

Next question is, EDF or gas turbine? With the advent of much quieter multi blade fans that sound like a turbine, and the relatively cheap cost, the P20 and Kolibri class of turbine must be living on borrowed time? I know certain fan units aren't cheap, but again with EDF there's the reliability aspect, lack of astronomical service costs, infinite ease of use and also the safety aspect to consider.

Posted by Neil67 on 22/10/2013 17:39:25:
Just visited my local model shop looking for a tachometer. Told "none in stock, can't remember when I last sold one" Apparently shop doesn't really stock engines anymore electric has all but replaced IC. Seems IC, certainly for smaller models, not looking good.

I just don't see what being out of stock of tachometers has got to do with the question being posed. If you have a need to know how fast a prop is going round then the question is "how fast is this prop going round" - whatever motive power happens to be turning that prop seems completely irrelevant.

A rather spurious link to a potentially inflammatory question

The answer to which, as endorsed by nearly all the comments above, is "no"

Posted by IanN on 23/10/2013 07:25:21:
Posted by Neil67 on 22/10/2013 17:39:25:
Just visited my local model shop looking for a tachometer. Told "none in stock, can't remember when I last sold one" Apparently shop doesn't really stock engines anymore electric has all but replaced IC. Seems IC, certainly for smaller models, not looking good.

I just don't see what being out of stock of tachometers has got to do with the question being posed. If you have a need to know how fast a prop is going round then the question is "how fast is this prop going round" - whatever motive power happens to be turning that prop seems completely irrelevant.

A rather spurious link to a potentially inflammatory question

The answer to which, as endorsed by nearly all the comments above, is "no"

Someone else stated their shop does not have a lot of electric motors. I think there is a larger variety of equipment available for our hobby and a shop can not keep stocks of it all. Maybe it is more of a reflection of the local model shop being dead

Sounds like the real question is

"Are local hobby shops dead in the water" if they hold no stock what can you do but shop online?

When I returned to this hobby after 5 years off I was amazed at how far electrickery had come. Everyone was flying lipos and 2.4 radios it seemed. Well that was just a first impression, turns out I just happened to go on a day when some keen electric fliers were about.

It seems to me that there is a certain boring predictability* in electrics. Whilst this might be fine for that highly detailed scale twin, it doesn't attract me all that much. * OK so there is the excitment of "will I burn my garage down one day charging these things" . The high powered electrics aren't all that quiet either.

That said the performance of modern electrics is quite astonishing. Those little foamy EDFs would have been unimaginable just 6-7 years ago.

Whilst I don't deny the obvious advantages of Electric, I'm still able to have just as much fun with IC and 35mhz as I did 7-8 years ago. The arrival of an alternative has no bearing on how much fun the original is.

Its horses for courses. Like many these days, my time at the field is limited. I can't afford to be hanging around waiting for batteries to charge! With ic power, I can land, and be airborne again in a matter of minutes. Unless I'm prepared to make a HUGE investment in batteries, electric simply can't compete.

For competition purposes, the increased power, reliability and cleanliness of electric cannot be beaten. But for ordinary sports flyers, where minutes in the air is what counts, ic still rules.

And with ic, you don't run the risk of finding your car battery flat when it comes time to go home (and yes, I have done it!)!!

Unbelieveable response from your local store! I tried mine at weekend for some fuel (whilst passing/save special trip etc) and was told as they need to order by the pallet, they have none in stock (of my preferred type).. so take what they had or leave it.. I left.

Its a round trip of over 50mls for me, they have an extremely big web presence too..

IC for me, gear on maintenance charge for tomorrow as forecast is good with sun and lighter winds... I will then need to get some more fuel.. however, it will be bought online with other items to maximise postal costs!!! some shop is in for a quid then !!

Hmm some interesting response 's . I mainly fly IC and most of my engines are 4 stroke . But I do have 2 electric planes and enjoy flying them.

I disagree with the expense argument as the LiPo's don't last forever even if you treat them well. Personally I think the electric boom has much to do with the ARTF and ready to fly market , it's all much more accessible from the start. I was also pleased and not unsurprised by this months editorial as I think once people get into the hobby they want a new challenge. Many mute petrol to be the new IC king but I personally don't think it is. The stench for a start rules out keeping models in the house so for flyers like me who do this then it's a none starter. (No pun intended)

All hobbies have fads and trends but the basics nearly always remain the same. The retailers and manufactures will constantly look to re invent most pastimes just to keep the money coming.

Electric is great for the sport but it's not the be all and end all .

Each to their own I say, my favourite electric motor is my Sullivan Starter

Posted by Bill_B on 23/10/2013 14:53:18:
Posted by Justin K on 23/10/2013 13:28:37:
........my favourite electric motor is my Sullivan Starter

A good engine shouldn't need one. devil

Rubbish. The O.S. range is designed around the use of an electric starter according to their instructions.

Posted by Greybeard on 23/10/2013 15:44:17:
Posted by Bill_B on 23/10/2013 14:53:18:
Posted by Justin K on 23/10/2013 13:28:37:
........my favourite electric motor is my Sullivan Starter

A good engine shouldn't need one. devil

Rubbish. The O.S. range is designed around the use of an electric starter according to their instructions.

^^^^This^^^ and safety first , first aid last. nerd

Safety you say? Strange then that all very large petrol engines seem to be started by hand. Not seen anyone yet use a hand held starter to get a Moki radial going. Also, just because a manufacturer recommends something, it doesn't mean it's law.

The only concessions to my original statement, which was tongue in cheek btw, is the odd-ball RCV SP engine, helicopters, buggies and boats.