Servo tester?

Spikey

I have need of a simple servo tester, ideally one which can also be used to test-run a motor via its ESC.

It looks like this will do me, but what do I do about powering it? It needs 4.8 to 6 volt DC, so do I really have to get a 4xAA carrier from Maplin, take the plug off one end of a servo extension lead and get the soldering iron out - and then tie up 4xAA cells?

There's got to be a better way forward, but I can't see what it is

Advert

Hi Spikey.

Two things - that same tester is available on ebay, £1.35 post free

Here you go:

Second, if you're testing a motor via an ESC, the ESC powers the tester via its BEC, there is no need for a separate battery.  Just leave the 'input' connector disconnected.  and plug the ESC into the output.

It does 3 things - a variable pulse from the pot, a fixed neutral and end-to-end cycling.

I've a couple of these as they are cheaper to buy than to make.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 21/11/2013 14:40:50

Posted by Spikey on 21/11/2013 14:44:23:

Cheers chaps.

(You'll like this next bit ...)

I had to look up "Rx pack" 'cos I didn't know what one was, me not being into that noisy, messy, smelly means of power that some of you are

Anyhow, that's me sorted yet again!

Oh my. Are there really people out there who do not know the glory of IC power.surprise

Kev

Dave:>>The eBay one is the same as the one I have, and is used with an RX battery.

Yes, when testing servos, but the OP was asking about using it with an ESC to test a motor in which case the BEC will power it and no rx battery is necessary. Obviously, unless its an opto ESC with no BEC.

Cheers

Phil

Posted by Phil Green on 21/11/2013 18:59:49:

Dave:>>The eBay one is the same as the one I have, and is used with an RX battery.

Yes, when testing servos, but the OP was asking about using it with an ESC to test a motor in which case the BEC will power it and no rx battery is necessary. Obviously, unless its an opto ESC with no BEC.

Cheers

Phil

True, but I always use a separate RX battery rather than a BEC.

Edited By Dave Miller on 21/11/2013 19:27:28

Hi, just like others here I use a similar servo checker to the one you indicate Spikey. I have a spare Zippy 2s 2100 Rx LiPo which I connect to my spare 4Max UBEC to give a 5.2v supply to the checker. Just been using it to check some Bixler servos. You will find the centering mode very useful when setting up the flying surface control rods.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 21/11/2013 18:39:01:

Oh my. Are there really people out there who do not know the glory of IC power.surprise

Indeed there are. And I don't want to really unsettle you, but I also like my aeroplanes to fly slowly as well as quietly ...

<--- Sorry, I cant get rid of these quote bars.

One safety thing to remember is to always have the tester set to minimum before connecting an ESC & motor.

If not, some ESCs will spin up the motor when you're not expecting it, some will go into programming mode, either way you dont want it!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 21/11/2013 21:19:06

Hi Spikey - I also have one of the GiantShark testers and would not be without it. As mentioned it gives not only a variable output, but also a neutral and cycling function which are both indispensable.

I use the neutral one to centre the servos when setting up the initial controls, and the cycle function to soak test new servos.

Posted by Spikey on 21/11/2013 19:55:33:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 21/11/2013 18:39:01:

Indeed there are. And I don't want to really unsettle you, but I also like my aeroplanes to fly slowly as well as quietly ...

Spikey.

I too have a small selection of electric planes and can see the benefits of both, Indeed I fly anything from Ultra Micro to 1/4 scale petrol engine power.

Kev

Posted by PatMc on 21/11/2013 23:33:04:
Posted by Colin Bernard on 21/11/2013 22:36:12:
the cycle function to soak test new servos.

I use one of Phil Green's gizmo's for that job. thumbs up

I think that's what I have too Pat. (Was it Phil who was selling the PIC chips, already programmed, over in "t'other place" a year or two ago?)

Mine works well. The only 'problem' I have is that I keep losing it! My fault entirely, I assembled it on a small bit of veroboard, with a couple of leads and black heatshrink over the board. Perhaps I should attach a piece of bright-coloured tape to it - otherwise it blends in all too easily with all the other stuff on my building 'board'!

2013-11-22 21.49.31.jpg

Posted by Phil Green on 22/11/2013 20:48:27:

£12 for a £1.35 tester and a 99p battery box?

Or £12 to solve a problem without having to spend a total of 3 hours getting the bus to Maplin and back while waiting for the postman to come all the way from China, then taking the plug off one end of a servo extension lead and soldering two wires.

Different strokes for different folks

Sorry - was trying to be concise. The easiest way to connect the battery carrier to the servo tester would have been to cut the socket off a servo extension lead, strip out one conductor of the cable, then solder the remaining two conductors to the terminals on the battery carrier. Hence the necessary soldering