Lockheed Vega

Lindsay Todd

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I did realize going through some of the pics that the big hole in the front of that cowl needed some further work but with limited time just at the moment rather than making up a proper dummy engine I sought out an alternative. A quick search on the internet generated a front on image of the required radial engine. I saved this an transferred to software allowing me to scale to size and then printed out onto some card. I then glued the card to a couple of cross grain laminated 2mm sheets of balsa. I then trimmed a centre hole to clear the motor and trimmed away a little around the cylinders. A couple of coats of clear varnish and I then glued the radial into the cowl.

s1020717.jpg

It's probably the quickest and cheapest dummy radial I have ever done, I think it looks ok, what do you think.

Linds

Much better One thing further you might want to consider? only a minor point mind you embarrassed you could take a black undeniable felt pen to the edges of the balsa backing, the edges stand out a little. As I say only a minor point, as it really does look great, and belies the amount of effort.

Cheers

Danny

The dummy engine certainly looks the part Lindsay. I've just had my first chance to watch the flight video. The original was a very special plane and you've captured it completely, definitely more than your average high-wing monoplane! It struck me also that the noises made by the tail-skid when taxiing on the tarmac sounded like a radial engine clattering away, so you don't need to install a sound system!

Hi Danny, the photo was taken before the engine was glued in place, the good old felt pen has already seen service. What I did need to make sure was that I could get the screws that fix the cowl to bulkhead still lined up. It was a squeeze and I hope I don't have to do it again to soon, thanks goodness for a magnetic screwdriver!

Colin, I was delighted with the flight performance really, unfortunately no had a chance again since but looking forward to having plenty of fun with her. I think the radial sound is actually coming from the wheels as the tires are quite hard being A quite old and B off an old rc buggy some 25+ years ago and have worn bearings. Note to self, replace bearings on wheels ( if you can still get them). Linds

• 2 months later...

Wow Lindsay ,

I don't know how i missed this one smile o .

What a lovely looking model that is , and it flys so well too , looks like you have got every part of it to harmonize together poetry in motion .

Very well done , i think you have managed to create something that will appeal to most if not all aero modelers .

Cheers Steve .

• 1 month later...

Thanks Stephen, yes it was quite a quick transition on this one but then it was actually built quite quickly and finished back in January so a lot of progress behind the scenes I guess. I have yet to see the flying shots that AW did so looking forward to seeing that part myself.

I was very impressed with you Sipa by the way at Greenacres, looked rock steady in the air. Linds

Yes i would love to see some flying shots too ,

My camera is not too cleaver at taking pictures or videos all my picture are very poor and it looks as though the day was grey and damp , Which we both know it was a great and bright day for a change .

I was very impressed with you're Lockheed Vega , that has to be a best seller for years to come or i will eat my hat , A true classic in the making and just the right size too .

Thanks ,

My Sipa is Rock steady , i Flew it on an Old Battery as i did not want it to be too fast for flying Shots and i was only on half power .

I think Graham did not believe me when i said it was fast , and when he asked if i could fly it slower i was already at half speed and due to cross winds and my poor flying skills i did not feel safe going slower .

Cheers Steve ,

I did have the pleasure of both seeing the model fly most impressively and also talking with Lindsay.

I also took the opportunity to examine the model, which increased my desire to build the model.

Lindsay did say that the body was quite easy to build, then described the procedure, which he di make seem a simple task. Later i did think, is this a case of those car repair manuals of yore, where the instructions would say, separate the widget from the gadget and now you can..................... Where the problem was that widget and gadget separation. Non the less I am hoping to build one in the near future.

It did strike me there is obviously a gap in skill levels, between some of us. The lining and the gold trim, was immaculate on Lindsays model. Whereas whenever I have tried to paint a flat gold, it has been lumpy, in Lindsays case totally flat, as were the trim lines consistent.

Yep the Bronco has been pushed down the build list.

That is looking like a very nice aircraft. The colour scheme I intend to do is already in my mind, similar to the white and red of the 5C, motor and ESC is already in the cupboard, I just need to buy the mag and get the plan first!

Edited By John F on 27/06/2014 12:23:26

• 1 month later...

Very nice Lindsay!

After reading the article and drooling over the plan, I'm very inclined to build this very nice rendition of the Golden Age spirit. Are there any future plans for making this plane available as a CNC or complete woodpack? That would significantly speed up the construction witch would be a plus for me with school and whatnot.

Many thanks!

Jelmer

• 1 year later...

Stuart, once you find an image that you wish to use, copy it and paste it onto word or something then simply drag the edge to make it larger or smaller then print it out.

A good image is here: **LINK**

or : **LINK**

or an image I saved is here:

You'll probably need a couple of goes to get it the right size but it should be fairly straightforward.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

My friend Eric, who is 87 and a skilled engineer, although new to model flying, has built a Vega from these plans and I test flew it for him earlier this year. It flew very well if a little sedately. We changed the prop and this improved it.

However, he brought it to fly last week and as soon as it was in the air we were in trouble. It felt very tail heavy was barely controllable. I was very lucky to get it round the circuit and back on the ground - elevator was hyper-sensitive!

He had made a slight change to the battery placement and the CG is now back where it should be! I want to check the control throws before we venture skywards again, but the plans don't show them and Eric no longer has the mag. Can't find them on the blog so does anyone have any idea??...just to save another cardiac arrest!

Many thanks. Nigel.

• 2 years later...