Shed nearly flooded

simon burch

Well, after the joking, I can appreciate there are real problems in the rest of the country. So commiseration with all of you whom have real problems.

Here in the NW of England, the dire predictions have been exaggerated, that is to date. We are now scheduled for terrible weather tomorrow, when I hope your issues recede into the distant past, with hopefully you worst fears never realised.

Unfortunately the predictions for the end of the week are pretty dire, for all.

Advert

xcweather.co.uk is showing quite a dramatic picture. Worst current wind conditions are from Headcorn airfield in Kent, with 51mph, gusting to 77mph. Meanwhile Inverness has 2mph, variable direction.

It certainly sounds pretty wild here, some 5 or 6 miles west of Mike Etheridge. We've got a small amount of water leaking in round one of the kitchen windows - I guess the strength and particular direction of the wind is forcing rainwater somewhere it's not gone before!

Just discovered I have a leak around some flashing on the porch roof. Luckily no ingress into the house. Wing Guru shows waves at Ringstead (Weymouth Bay) of 4.5 metres! And that's on the leeward side of the bay. Gusts up to 65kts, and judging by the wind here in Dorchester I'm not a bit surprised. God help us all on Friday if the forecast is correct!

Oh, and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Ian

We had two power cuts last night in Hayes, Bromley.

We have had to remove all the furniture from our conservatory (4 years old) as the wind and torrential horizontal rain for hours non-stop square on that exposed face of the building has defeated the apex roof joint and roof to rear wall sealing, it has then been getting into the double glazed sliding patio door framing (now internal of course) and running out of PVC joints all over the place. It now has folded shaped duct tape stuck everywhere chanelling it off the uprights into containers

We had already in late November stripped the dining room for a booked ceiling skim and paint which we were let down on timing over, still waiting, so that and the bedroom used to store the stuff are almost no go zones, now the lounge is full of displaced conservatory items............

Have not looked at my two (fairly new) sheds yet, need daylight to get down to the bottom of the garden safely and inspect the main roof with binoculars, but the model shed is fairly well protected by high fencing and small trees from the wind direction, so here's hoping.....................

It's blowing a gale up here to just now. A bit of slope soaring with a rocket might be fun but other than that your fingers would freeze up and eye lids to your head lol. Dry just now. Sorry to hear about the shed. You mentioned a French drain had been installed but wasn't coping....Thats a pain after all the bother of fitting one surprise...

I'm a plumber to trade and have seen the damage that water can do first hand !!!

Devastating

Jamie

Simon, I have moved heavy machinery a few times using equipment from HSS lift & shift.

If your shed is tight to the ground you can lift it a bit with a roller pinch bar enough to get a toe jack under it.

The toe jacks will get it high enough to get extra piers or supprts under the shed.

images.google.com will show you what those bits of kit look like.

I know that is a bit of cost but they will make an awkward job easy.

fwiw, I traversed a 'puddle' in Coulsdon this morning, I have now got to bale out the car. Water was much higher than the door sills but luckily it was only the floor mounted boot release that let the water in. HSS for a dehumidifier!

Model boating anyone?

All the best Kevin.

Trees down all over the place but managed to get to Jewsons and get myself a puddle pump. Been pumping away for the last hour over so and the water is almost gone. Spent the first hour this morning clearing a tree which had gone over and blocked our road. If it had fell 90 degrees the other way, someone could have got seriously hurt.

No models damaged, and we are both safe.

Cheers,

Simon

I hope you get the shed sorted soon.

We lost a fence panel, neighbour next door lost two.

Neighbour across the road didn't fair so well. A ridge tile had come off, slide down her roof onto the garage roof below which smashed 3 more tiles which all ended up on her 2 week old VW bonnet and windscreen.

Just looked out from the bedroom window, a few fence panels down but not mine. Next door's tree is leaning over about 20 degrees from the vertical & my shed looks OK, well the felt is still on anyway. A small amount of rain got in through the door from the gap at the top ( door to frame )

Edited By J V R on 24/12/2013 11:32:06

Glad you've got the water away, Simon.

If your shed is insulated and clad internally, won't jacking it up cause more distortion and damage during the process than leaving it where it is? Is this a once in 20 year event or is there a likelihood of it recurring on a more regular basis?

Either way, I suspect the insulation may have wicked up enough water to make the shed unusable in the long-term, unless you strip it out, raise it and then re-do the interior.....smile o

I feel for you and everyone else affected by the weather in Blighty...best enjoy Xmas if you can and think about it after Boxing Day...sad

Pete

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 24/12/2013 11:01:45:

fwiw, I traversed a 'puddle' in Coulsdon this morning, I have now got to bale out the car. Water was much higher than the door sills but luckily it was only the floor mounted boot release that let the water in. HSS for a dehumidifier!

Model boating anyone?

All the best Kevin.

I'm just up the road from you in Banstead, we have the usual 'puddles' around here, and one or two that only rarely appear. There are bits of trees all over the place and a moderately-sized tree dlown over in the High Street. We have one fence panel at a slightly wonky angle, I think we got off quite lightly...

I've just seen this picture of Redhill Aerodrome (sould it be Aquadrome now?) on the BBC News website;

The caption with the photo suggested there were also overturned aircraft there...

Posted by John Privett on 24/12/2013 13:02:14:
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 24/12/2013 11:01:45:

Model boating anyone?

All the best Kevin.

I'm just up the road from you in Banstead, we have the usual 'puddles' around here, and one or two that only rarely appear. There are bits of trees all over the place and a moderately-sized tree dlown over in the High Street. We have one fence panel at a slightly wonky angle, I think we got off quite lightly...

I've just seen this picture of Redhill Aerodrome (sould it be Aquadrome now?) on the BBC News website;

The caption with the photo suggested there were also overturned aircraft there...

Yes, thats how wet it was in Coulsdon. I go through Banstead to work in Brentford.

Apart from a tree down and a battered car near NESCOT it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Whilst we all feel sorry for Simon ( and, of course, others) it would appear part of the problem is the raised decking or whatever we see in the photo. If everyone covers up open ground & lawns not only is there nowhere for the rain to soak into but it almost instantly runs off and inevitably floods somewhere. So with the shed so low down compared to the decking only a couple of feet away the result would seem inevitable.
As for raising the shed with jacks etc, it would surely be necessary to put some steel or concrete beams right underneath to carry the weight. That does not look very practical to me so I still say take the shed sections apart. I have moved sheds this way from house to house when we moved home. Sheds are usually in sections that two men can move around fairly easily. I suggest getting a posse of 4 or 5 modelling friends around for a 'barn raising'
Get some other peoples opinions before you consider jacking up an intact shed.
P.S. Loosen ( well free up ) all the bolts off a few days before planning to split a shed into sections as that takes most of the time. Much of the weight in a shed is the roof. Just removing that could halve the weight.

Edited By kc on 24/12/2013 15:05:02

Edited By kc on 24/12/2013 15:10:24

It's not a raised deck, they are flower beds. Everything is clay round here, the water just can't drain away quick enough. Plus who ever built the house got the levels wrong, so our garden in lower than everything else around it. If the garden comes up, then it puts the house at risk. If I had the pump last night it would have not been an issue, so something I will have to prepare for in the future.

Might have to gut the shed at some point to raise it, but it would be a big job to remove all the insulation and cladding. The shed is 14' x 8' so not a 5 minute job. Last nights weather was unusual and compared to some, I got off quite lightly!!

Cheers,

Simon