Spektrum module for Taranis

Chris Bott - Moderator

Ah sorry, this being the "Spektrum module for Taranis" thread I thought we were talking external modules.

Yes I've also had the low rssi beeps at extreme close range (inches) but never any unwanted control throws. Could it be that the deflected aileron was an inadvertent failsafe setting?

Cheers
Phil

Nope not a chance, as failsafes set on tx. Don't forget it won't bind if too close.

I can forsee a problem when pupil and instructor turn towards each other and transmitters are very close, and pupil then loses control without instructor realising what has happened.

• 7 months later...

I have one remaining full set of parts to make up a Spektrum module, you will need the RF board from a DX5e and a suitable case such as the DM9 available from here **LINK**

I can post the kit inside the UK for £15 , I can't go lower than that because of the cost of the PCB from the USA, the postage was expensive.

The kit includes PCB and components to solder on as shown in this picture:

img_0542.jpg

After you have soldered it together, the only tricky bit is the 12 pin socket for the RF board where the pins are quite close together, but it's not too hard.

dsmx2.jpg

Shown here with the RF module plugged in to the socket.

dsmx4.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 29/01/2017 22:55:53

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread again. I've got a related question. I've harvested a module from a DX5e. I'd like to drive it with a micro-controller that generates 22ms PPM. I've proved the concept by playing the PPM signal into the buddy port on a DX6i so I'm confident the PPM generator is sound. I'll like to use a dedicated radio module rather than sticking my buddy switch down with tape each time I want to use the PPM generator.

My question is this: how do I put the module into bind mode? Is there a special PPM signal that will do it? Can I wire a circuit with a push button that will force bind mode? If so, could anyone suggest a circuit?

Much obliged.

Dave Patterson

Portished

Bristol

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

I believe that the Spektrum RF module requires a proprietary data stream to drive it, not PPM. This would include the bind command when necessary.

OpenTx generates the correct data when a Spektrum module is selected.
Unfortunately I've no idea where you'd find details of the required signal, though.

I use an Orange plug-in module to fly small indoor models with my Taranis. It was quite inexpensive and I'm happy to use it with models like a Vapor but I'm not sure I'd trust outside with bigger models.

Unless you're trying to fit the DX5e to the Taranis as an interesting technical exercise I wouldn't bother and buy a ready to use commercial plug-in like the Orange.

Geoff

Thanks Mike. That's really interesting. Not sure why I assumed the RX module was using PPM.

I'm using a micro-controller as a USB interface to my DSM radio so I can control the radio from my laptop. The micro-controller is just as capable with regular serial comms so it should be pretty easy to update it to use this protocol. That should reduce latency too which is always good.

This has all been prompted by the maaxx-europe.com UAV race that's running in March. I want to fly a racing quad, using the video feed for navigation. I've been able to fly the quad with an xbox remote and I can track the video feed with opencv to follow a line. Not sussed altitude hold yet but that's on the way. Latency is a huge factor in these things so swapping to a quick serial interface could be a big advantage.

Cheers

Dave P

• 1 year later...

Chris i really like how you made your own module. This is far beyond my abilities but i bought a brand new FR-Sky Taranis X9E at a garage sale for $25 and love the look and size of it. I have several Eflite planes with spektrum receivers and want to keep them so i can use the safe feature. I bought the JP 4in1 module but cannot seem to get it to bind to my planes. I followed many online videos and write ups. I have updated the firmware on the radio and on the module and still nothing. I contacted HobbyKing and they have shipped me out a new module. However are you interested in building me a module with the DM9 module?

Hi Hulk and welcome to the forum.

Isn't the DM9 module the old official Spectrum one that if you could get one, would slot straight into your X9E? The downside would be that it's DSM2 only only.

I could help with building a module if it's still possible to get a suitable Dx4 as a donor. The important word there is "suitable". I'm not sure I'd know how to recognise the right one now Spectrum have released so many versions of their Transmitters.

One of these OrangeRX modules might be your best bet? I have no experience of them but someone else may have?