Police turn a blind eye to lane hoggers

Dai Fledermaus

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 21/01/2014 16:49:43:

I recently installed a dash cam due to some of the stupidity I was witnessing on the roads.

I can't report if the police actually respond to citizens uploading footage in accordance to websites such as POLICEWITNESS because I haven't seen anything really dangerous or unlawful... Yet.

Does anybody else have one?

you should get out more kulou

Advert

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 21/01/2014 16:49:43:

I recently installed a dash cam due to some of the stupidity I was witnessing on the roads.

I can't report if the police actually respond to citizens uploading footage in accordance to websites such as POLICEWITNESS because I haven't seen anything really dangerous or unlawful... Yet.

Does anybody else have one?

its not just a video of an incident you need to convict somebody, as with cctv in shops for thieves etc, your camera footage must have a time and date stamp ( correct t + d obviously ), you would have to do a written witness statement to the police, be willing to attend court if necessary etc etc.

You may make a few enemies along the way too

My Wife and I have been doing a lot of car travel recently. We have seen some dreadful driving.

When I learned to drive no-one would have thought of undertaking. Now it seems routine. (Although not, as I understand, illegal as such, it is against the Highway Code, and so could be used in to prosecution for some offences.)

The daftest case I have seen lately - There was moderate traffic. There were a number of trucks in the LH lane, but well spaced out. I was overtaking one of them. I was following another car (A) at a good distance. A car (B) joined from a slip road into the gap in front of me. It pulled across into the middle lane in front of me. Quite reasonable so far. There was no traffic in the outside lane but the driver in B decided to overtake A, and pulled left and undertook it when there was no reason at all not to overtake it normally.

I try to drive smoothly and economically. We try to leave a safe stopping distance to the vehicle in front, but it is seen as an invitation for someone to fill the space.

To many drivers there is one tactic that is unthinkable. Given the choice of pressing harder or less hard on the accelerator they see only one possibility, to speed up.

Oh well. I suspect that if I watched the likes of Top Gear I would think differently (or perhaps give up thinking altogether.)

Plummet

I have a dashcam with GPS. It records all the footage, plug the card in the computer and call up Google Earth and it shows exactly where you are and also the speed your were doing and includes a G meter so there is no argument about whiplash etc.

I wish I had had it a while ago. I followed a police car round a roundabout to the third exit. He never used his indicators once.

No comment!

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/01/2014 18:28:07:

I wish I had had it a while ago. I followed a police car round a roundabout to the third exit. He never used his indicators once.

No comment!

He'd probably say, "Don't do as I do, do as I say."

On another note, I don't think it'll be long before dash cams become mandatory at the behest of insurance companies.

Not sure if I think that's a good idea or not. It's a bit like the black box (flight drive data recorder) some people have to decrease their insurance premium: How do you prove to a company that the quick burst of acceleration above the limit was to avoid an accident, or because you are an inconsiderate jerk?

My dash cam also has a date/time stamp with GPS to pinpoint it's position and accelerometers to record what the car was doing at the time of any incident. Blimmin' good idea, and I'm convinced it makes me a better, more observant driver.

I wish I had had it when I witnessed driver stop in the driving lane on the M25 at jct 10 and sit there waiting for the crowded exit ramp to clear enough for him to drive over the white hatching and get in. In the dark. At rush hour. In the rain. There were quite a few near misses, it was less than amusing.

If road safety is the issue, then the enforcement of the middle lane hogging legislation has a lot of merit.

Cars cruising in the middle lane what ever their speed, where other vehicles are required to move from the inner lane to overtake them, will more often than not, cause bunching, this will increase the probability of an accident.

There is also something a little disturbing about the mind set of, I am at the legal limit, therefore all others cannot overtake me. I feel I am responsible for my actions, it is not for me to prevent others doing what they think is correct.

I have noticed from my sat nav, that my true speed, is somewhat different to the indicated speed. As much as 5mph lower, when the tyres are reaching the end of their life.

More often than not when observing a middle lane hog, it is akin to watching a video game, as cars bunch up due to the obstruction, whilst vehicles at differing speeds jostle to negotiate the road reduction.

I can see the need to limit the speed of vehicles in some circumstances, where congestion is high, then 70 can be to fast. Yet, my understanding is that on most measures that German autobahns, have lower accidents per mile or thousands of vehicles etc., than the UK. To me this indicates that speed alone is not always the cause of accidents.

We also know that mini roundabouts cause more accidents than the same road without them. The justification apparently is that fatalities reduce although collisions increase, but at lower speeds.

Unfortunately revenue raising and police overtime seemed to be a prime mover for motorway speed cameras.

I personally would prefer police cars cruising the motorway, dealing with real offences, or just poor behaviour than many of the money making initiatives where the police have been deployed.

I also agree with the politicisation of Senior police officers, yet this trend goes back to my earliest memories. Probably the high point was reached about 2-4 years back, where you did not have to be told the political affiliation of the appointment, it was to obvious. Some of the actions of the police at the rank and file level have shown themselves, at least in some groups to have a bias.

In many respects it is the hard to police actions, requiring time and effort, that are affective in reducing risks to all road users, including pedestrians. That is the use of hand held mobile phones. On motorways, the lane hoggers.

I am relaxed about the seat belts, booster seats etc, Buses seem to be devoid of them, are they required wearing for taxi passengers etc. For myself, I would always wear my seat belt. Although I can see it raises some much needed revenue.

We have them in our vehicles now in the RAF Lima. There's a small box in the dash with three lights, Red, Amber and Green. In our installations they take your location and speed as well as high acceleration rates or very jerky driving. It's a useful system as it reminds you not to exceed the limits.

With regards to the PoliceWitness website, it isn't exactly doing much, despite the hype and cleverly written promises. It's a DVRCam selling website with dubious assurances that you're catching dangerous drivers. Actually it simply sells you DVR cameras and lets you load vids onto youtube.

It's useful if you see an accident or are involved in a cash for crash scam but that's about it. The police won't investigate your vid clips of the van jumping the red light.

Edited By John F on 21/01/2014 21:01:14

I've bought and installed a cheap dashboard camera, I can't understand the poor instructions to set the time and date. Thats not a problem, easily overcome in a written statement that would need to be given in tandem with any video evidence. I bought it as it can't hurt to have it, even though it only covers the view out of the windscreen.

Posted by Plummet on 21/01/2014 18:20:17:

The daftest case I have seen lately - There was moderate traffic. There were a number of trucks in the LH lane, but well spaced out. I was overtaking one of them. I was following another car (A) at a good distance. A car (B) joined from a slip road into the gap in front of me. It pulled across into the middle lane in front of me. Quite reasonable so far. There was no traffic in the outside lane but the driver in B decided to overtake A, and pulled left and undertook it when there was no reason at all not to overtake it normally.

If there was enough room and time for B to undertake A then wasnt there enough time for A to move back into the left hand lane as you are supposed to after overtaking a vehicle ?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/01/2014 09:56:18:

ah, that heinous crime, failing to wear a seatbelt!

Apart from the obvious fact that it's easy to spot and therefore easy to issue a fine, please can someone explain why it is an offence in the first place? This is one of those laws, like crash helmets, that seem to be based purely on potential long term financial cost savings for health services and not on risk to other road users. What am I missing?

The obvious one of going through the windscreen. The results of which I have seen.

Posted by Bucksboy on 21/01/2014 21:05:02:

I can't understand the poor instructions to set the time and date. Thats not a problem, easily overcome in a written statement that would need to be given in tandem with any video evidence. I bought it as it can't hurt to have it, even though it only covers the view out of the windscreen.

on the contrary, a few years ago, i was pulled for speeding by a motorcycle officer from west mercia police, who having not changed his bike video camera`s time 1 hour forward for british summer time tried to prosecute me, thankfully at the time shown on his video, i was back in north wales buying diesel with a till receipt and cctv to prove it, therefore i could not have been in shrewsbury at the time he claimed on his video evidence, case dismissed in court, nil poit

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/01/2014 10:28:21:
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 22/01/2014 10:15:09:

provided everyone plays nicely!....smile

Pete

aww - that's no fun!

RCGroups is a good place if you want a verbal scrap. It's full of red neck keyboard warriors! fist

Oh Bob......bet you are glad to have stuck your oar in there mate. I have been watching this thread with interest and I am glad that the heat has gone out of it now. I have no point to make about the subject other than in 30 years I never once issued a speeding ticket, stuck someone on for undertaking, or any number of traffic offences. It's not that I was bone idle, it's that it is an offence dealt with by Traffic division. Only those officers had the electronic equipment to measure speeders. In my time in London, that department grew ever smaller. I did however do much finger wagging. The driver always seem to pass the attitude test for me.

The point I do wish to make, Bob, is that I subscribe to another couple of forums and chat rooms. Your name, if not before, is now quite famous for your view expressed here. Other forums are not so genteel as this and the views on your comments have certainly stirred the juices elsewhere than here....... I didn't realise this forum reached places other forums didn't. Maybe Carling did create this forum.........

Best wishes to all

Gary

ha ha ha I agree old chap but sometimes any view anyone expresses here can go.....the modern term is viral I suppose. I too have posted the odd, shall we say, controversial note...

I am not running you down for your simple question, only commenting that what IS written goes much further than these pages.

Keep up your reckless behaviour, it certainly causes much thought and musings. By the way, some of the answers to your question were quite impressive I thought.

Regards

Gary

Founder member of the I support Bob club

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/01/2014 14:19:40:

Gazza, you don't have a profile so I can't pm to ask what forums.

A forumite doesn't have to have a public profile to be PM'd. Just click on 'Message Member' at the bottom of any of Gazza's post - he'll get the message - in more ways than one, I'm sure....wink 2

Pete