my first own design

Djay

Thanks to Peter Millers articles in RCME I decided to give designing and building my own model a go. So using the back of a roll of xmas paper I laid out the basic guide lines and sketched in some outlines using the old control line models of the 60s and 70s as inspiration.

p1010105 (copy).jpg

Then this was photocopied, pages joined together to make a working plan.

p1010104 (copy).jpg

p1010103 (copy).jpg

After taking measurements the wood cutting began.

Darryl

Advert

the tail is built up and sheeted in 1/16th balsa for strength and light weight.

p1010166 (copy).jpg

the wing rib used is a modified flat bottom profile drawn to meet the size required on the plan, ribs made using the sandwich method,.hard wood spars used and only takes minutes using superglue to knock up two basic panels

p1010169 (copy).jpg

plywood joiner fitted ready for joining panels

p1010170 (copy).jpg

p1010176 (copy).jpg

only one side sheeted as this allowed me to leave rib 1 loose on the un-sheeted panel to get the correct dihedral, then glued in place as the panels are joined.

p1010177 (copy).jpg

it took about 2 1/2 weeks from design to finish using only parts from my scrap box. Engine is an old SC 52 2st, servos are standard Futaba 3001 with 2.4 R/X.

No balance weights needed. weight unknown but was built extremely light. Covering is scraps of Solartex to add strength to the build.

On the day of the test flight it took off in about 2 meters and went vertical, after throttling back and adjusting the aileron trim and elevator trim it flew absolutely amazing. It is probably one of the best flying aircraft I have ever flown in 30 years off modeling, kits, plan builds and ARTF's.

I am so pleased with it that I had 3 flights without altering a thing. It flies hands off straight and level, all aerobatic maneuvers are carried out with ease, inverted flight needs the slightest of fwd stick pressure and it floats in so gently for landing even in a cross wind.

Now to decide if I want to build a cowling or just enjoy it as it is.

And it needs a name.

Any suggestions?

My next project is already being drawn up ready to cut the parts.

thank you Mr Miller for the inspiration

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 24/01/2014 13:11:39

thanks Martyn.

test flight was perfect as mentioned above.

Forgot to add, it knife edges all day with only a small rudder input so the fin area is more than adequate for the aircraft.

The canopy will hopefully house a camera now I know it flies a treat.

C of G is on the spar, 30% back from L/E and this is perfect.

Darryl

Posted by Roger in Dubai on 24/01/2014 13:47:36:

Well done Darryl and was a pleasure to witness the test flight and put in the bit of trim you requested. Great landing and will attempt to put the video taken with my DSLR on here when I find out how to post videos. Looking forward to seeing it again next Friday at the field.

Upload your vid on Photobucket, or a similar site, then post the link on here. Hope that helps.