Mojo gone AWOL ?

Tony F

Tim I agree an excellent post....as all these posts are and I'm very grateful for all your time answering my thread. Yes there are loads going on in my life....but nothing that is making me hold my head low. I'm down about the site failing but the interest was waning before that as I posted on my site about mojo disappearance. It seems it happens to many people in this hobby....is it because we build Airplanes only to crash them after a LOT of hard work , time , effort and MONEY ? Maybe in some peoples cases but not in mine.....I enjoy a good crash because I picked the pieces up then started my own Aircrash Investigation

I look in my cupboard and have no wish to get rid of my collection because I'm proud of it and of the time and money I worked hard for to put them there.

Why don't I go to my flying field ? Why don't I charge my batteries ? Why do I prefer to stay in ?

That's a million pound question that I suppose I'm looking for answers too ? And as posted here by a member this thread may be the way to go ? As i type I have opened the model I got for Xmas.

Baby steps

Tony

Advert

Just an observation, Tony, and please understand that this is meant constructively - time and again your posts have an underlying implication of large amounts of money, expensive websites and expensive models, even multi-thousand pound sim seats. Even flippant remarks mention money: a fiver to anyone who finds your mojo, the million pound question, I wonder if thats what is upsetting you.

I would suggest a smaller challenge rather than a bigger one. Go simpler, cheaper, less commitment, less investment, less worry. Try a rudder/elevator DLG or a simple slope soarer (resist the expensive mouldie!)

Try getting back to simple, basic aeromodelling, and maybe the interest will return.

If not, why worry? its your hobby time and you should spend your time on things you enjoy. Theres no shame in packing it in & doing something else, Lots of people are perfectly happy doing something else! Buy a motorbike, join a shooting club, build a kit-car, take your dog on long, long hikes, try mountainbiking, build a mirror dinghy, try paragliding. Dont get hung up on toy aeroplanes or money!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 04/02/2014 01:26:45

Great thread Tony, and you have a good choice of answers there.

I can't help thinking that this awful weather has something to to with it, for many of us. Looking at the forecast it may be time just to forget the models for a short while. anyway?

Apart from that, my mojo has gone missing once or twice in the past. Forcing myself out there and flying has always fixed it for me. I sort of saw it as a test. Deciding to go out and try, just once more, to see if I should sell up or stay in the hobby. You know what? For me, I knew the answer within maybe three seconds of being airborne again. The bright sky and the fresh air all being part of it.

The other thing that has really surprised me, has been revisiting the very first R/C models I ever had. I've had a large amount of very relaxing enjoyment by building and flying a rudder/elevator vintage model. The same as I flew in my teens. It must look as boring as anything to anyone else watching, but it just clicks with me. The fun to cost ratio must be ten times what I get out of modern complex models. I've also really enjoyed building another very simple model recently, not flown yet, but the building has been great.

"After closing a failed RC aircraft website that cost a fortune to set up and run"

Oh Tony! What site was that? OK... don't tell me...

Believe me it will come back. I moved on for the same reasons as you - there was a great deal of effort going in and it sapped a lot of my time. the net reult - lack of mojo. I divorced myself from it all for a while finding many other things to to, and eventually got working on a big hostorical project, my Be2c build on here.

Moderation was the key, and not spending every waking hour in the workshop - 'er indoors was getting a bit peeved, too.

As I said, it will return - DO NOT make any rash decisions - don't sell up... it will be such a shame if you did as you have some great ideas that we could all benefit from.

Steve

Hi Phil...It's just the nature of our hobby that I relate to pounds and pence...nothing underlying mate. A small project might just be the answer to break my deadlock mate....I will look into that because I think I have just the thing sitting somewhere in a cupboard...!

Chris someone mentioned SAD and that may be something...the weather is horrendous at the mo and my flying site does get a tad waterlogged..! I really need to get out there again to see if the desire , enjoyment and skill are still somewhere inside of me ???

Steve....I got a sneaky feeling you know the site ? And you advice as is everyones , taken on board.

It really does help reading replies from all you mob and it picks my spirits up no end reading the replies on here and for that I can't thank you all enough.

Tony

well someone mentioned music and taking a break , I've been into music for many years , playing guitarmin numerous bands , and as anyone knows who's played in a band , it takes a lot of comittment , and hard work to get the band from first rehearsals to playing round the circuit .

N ow my point is , the last band was doing well , round about summer last year we were doing clubs and pubs , all the hard work was done , then we lost our drummer , but quickly found a replacement , unfortunately this guy played every song too fast , so when it came to solo's I couldnt play them because of the pace.

so the band imploded , I totally lost my mojo with music to such an extent that I have sold my gear apart from my amp and guitar , all my effects pedals have gone including the floorboard . I know for a fact that at some point I will play again , but , not to the extent I was involved in .

I havent played a note since last october , and to be honest I'm still not missing it . So maybe just let it run its course , have a break , dont think about it , let the better weather come in , and you'll probably find your mojo will come back all by itself. If it doesnt then you have answered your own question , and its time to move on .

by the way I have a blackstar ht100 stage all valve head for sale if anyones interested smile

I lost my enthusiasm before Christmas, probably down to the weather and too many models (ie little incentive to keep building more). I spent a few weeks decorating and not touching anything model related and now common sense has prevailed (ie you CANNOT have too many models) and I'm getting back to work on the current build.

One thing I found was that I'd got myself into a frame of mind where I felt guilty not even trying to go flying, and the same with not using the bike which was also getting neglected. It's ok, it's winter. Nothing at all wrong with hibernating or finding something else to do until the mojo returns.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 04/02/2014 12:43:41

Thanks John....good points there mate....does the blackstar fly ?

Bob...thats a valid issue mate....I do feel guilty...all this hardware at home and me not using it !!! And maybe I should buy a bike LOL Also good idea about looking into something else..

Tony

Drummer? Playing too fast?

Yes I gigged for 20 years - as a drummer. It got as good as it could get for me, but next step was to go pro.. wife and two kids to support it was a no brainer - I gave up! Because it reached its zenith, and the guys I was playing with were amongst the best, I was satisfied at my decision. What did I do? Start up this hobby !

Yes Tony, it's moderation, but, having seen some of your builds, it does pay to sometimes to simplfy it. Back to basics aeromodelling. Small scale stuff.

I was really enthusiastic about my Be2c, and SO MUCH research.. SO MUCH to do. I was getting it ready for an exhibition and my old back injury returned, two weeks immobile and two weeks of recovery...

But I got really enthusiatic on a Pilot QB10, 36" span, .15 size engine - already built... just needs electrification...cant wait to get down the workshop.

The BE2c is on the back burner now...

yep stevo drummer playing too fast , he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights , would start off round about the right tempo the just steadily ramp it up , I'd had enough by then , so looking for yet another drummer and getting him settled in just wasnt on the cards for me .

I think this hobby just crept up on me and enveloped me in its tempting embrace , plus I enjoy this more than sitting for hours with the guitar learning songs , sometimes just to play to myself .

As I say , its futile forcing yourself to do something (hobbywise), if you enjoy it do it , if not dont , take a break , or find out when a few guys are flying and just go with hands in pocket and spectate , if a flicker of a flame is still there , then it should truely ignite into a raging furnace , and your mojo will come running home .

I did the same a while back when I just couldnt muster up the enthusiasm to charge batterys , pack the car , ect , so I went with nothing , and just stood there watching , about 30mins later I was itching to have a go , so I ended up flying one of my mates models .

Edited By john melia 1 on 04/02/2014 13:54:35

I'm with Chris Bott on the weather factor but for me personally the other main factor is age. I've found that as my age has gone up so has my intollerance of bad weather. Over the past years even the summers have been dire in the NW of the UK. In times past I'd sit for most of the day on top of a hill (like Mam Tor) waiting for the weather to break just to get a short flight on my hang glider, like wise at the model flying field. But, standing in the middle of a muddy field being tugged at by a naggingly cold wind with spots of rain in it under dark cloudy skys is no longer any fun. My knees ache, even indoors in the winter (joints sus from the hang gliding) and the chill goes right through me. This all sets a frame of mind where it seems little point in standing ready to go flying on one of those all to rare good days. Thus, why keep building? I'm still interested and continue to tinker and have just started a simple back to basic build to try and get this mystical mojo back, but I fear it will fail in the face of bad weather and increasing age. I feel sure that if we lived in the southern states of the USA the mojo problem would be of a lesser nature.

Hi Tony,

Just been speaking to are chairman who went through the same thing you are going through. Due to the stress of running a club with some members causing problems and always phoning him etc he throw in the towel and said that's that. Two good members in t5he end went round his hose and picked him up no planes just himself with a pack lunch, This went on for a couple of weeks just coming down for a chat and seeing others fly. The club training was sorted out and took up on the buddy system and slowly he got his confidence back to be able to look forward to having a day down the field with or with out a plane. In stead of him flying his pride and joy some of us got together and he now fly's a Ben Buckle 3 channel plane, Sits in his chair and enjoys the day.

basically you may have to start at the beginning again you pride of a fleet will be there when you are ready, get yourself a hack latch on to someone you can relate to and take things slowly and try and retrain yourself to enjoy flying.

remember just talking can be a big help try and find someone who you can talk too.

All the best

Rob

Tony F - If you're near Heathrow, you're not a million miles from where my club flies (WLMAC). Although we don't have a tarmac runway, we do have an Astroturf one, which is the next best thing - it's usable in just about any weather and allows models to be flown that you'd never entertain flying from grass. Unfortunately, there's a waiting list to join, but I'd be very happy to take you along with me as a guest sometime, but preferably when the weather has improved a little. You could just come along and watch, but are welcome to fly if you wish. If the thought of this appeals, then please PM me and we'll see what we can sort out.

Gordon

In 2013 at the start of the year I struggled because my knees were so bad could hardly walk,In July I had one knee done and in October the other.To get back i started visiting the field and watched and chatted to others.Couldnt fly to start with,couldnt sit for long or stand but could walk up and down.Have started flying this year and started with an easy to fly Precedent T180 so there was just relaxing flying to be had.The field at present is so bumpy tryingg to take off is a nightmare but Im persevering.

Posted by Tony F on 05/02/2014 14:39:18:

PM Sent to Gordon , we shall see how it goes....I wish I had some slopes near me for soaring but hills are a distant thing where I live.

Tony

Tony, I'll set you a challenge, if you don't feel like going down the flying field, heading out to the slope in brass monkey family planning weather will be a REAL turnoff - I bet you your fiver you wouldn't do it.......devil

Posted by Tony F on 05/02/2014 14:39:18:

....I wish I had some slopes near me for soaring but hills are a distant thing where I live.

You said you were near Heathrow, didn't you? Well Colley Hill isn't that far away - I used to drive past Colley Hill twice a day on my way to and from work at Stockley Park, a couple of miles north of LHR. I did that journey most days for the best part of 10 years... 32 miles each way as I recall - so a bit less if you're only going to Colley Hill. There's more info on this and other slopes in the South on the slopehunter website.

Heh Tony, chin up chuck! smiley The site didn't fail because of anything you did or didn't do, it was a lovely site with very friendly peeps- it just had a lot of problems with the hackers and losing posts and you did a fantastic job when you took over. It's demise just happened to conicide, for me, with a time when I took a break, after 18months of struggling myself with my loss of confidence and self esteem. I stopped going on any forums for a while and was genuinely sad to see it was gone when I tried to log in again.

I put away my funcub and went back to basics, doing something completely different- the Free flight models and have loved doing them. Maybe you could do the same? Build a model from scratch, there is nothing more rewarding and boosting than seeing something you create go from a bunch of balsa to a functioning model. Or maybe you could see if your club needs any instructers? Teaching others something you love can sometimes ignite that passion.

If that doesn't appeal to you then try something completely different to aviation - something you have always wanted to try, that gets you fired up again; you don't have to give up the hobby just take a break for a bit. But stop beating yourself up over not having any mojo, that will make it worse (as you probably already know in your profession wink 2) just go with the flow and it will come back eventually.

And Stevo I've heard your drumming and it is fast smile p but that's a good thing, still got that Pink Floyd mix and still think it is a shame you gave up! Maybe you could give Tony some drumming tips and he can take up being the first busking RC aviator teeth 2

Very very tempted on that VC Smashing read Sir , thanks. As for my fiver , I just may spend it on something that my head is thinking about...tick tock tick tock

And John , yes it isn't that far away and I live 1 minute away from Stockley Park

WillowLea How you doing ? Great to hear from you again....!!! And as for flow , I'm slowly flowing so all's good.....and improving.

Tony