Airfix Kits.....

My 7 year old has just begun to get interested in Airfix kits & has bought a Hawker Siddley Harrier with his pocket money.

Naturally Dad has been pressed into service to "help" with the build by which I mean build it for him whilst he watches & passes me the bits sad

Good grief they're small aren't they??? I have to admit I'm really struggling to both see & hold some of the smaller parts.....

What's happened? I used to build loads of Airfix kits when I was his age....I even painted the little men!!! Have they shrunk the models???

If you used to build Airfix kits then I suggest you buy one & have a go.....it's flippin' difficult after the passage of 40 years!!!

Advert

Eh, not for me thanks Steve.

I had eleven different mk's of spitfire hanging in my dad's shed and also 9 red arrow Gnats that I built as a lad.

My mum recently brought me the deag Mclaren and its still wrapped in boxes. I'm dreading building it.

My eyes are no longer up to the job and my fingers seemed to have fattened !!

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 05/02/2014 18:14:14

funny you should say that Steve.......... I used to rush down to our local 'woolies' in the 60's to buy a new model each week with my pocket money......of course at the time they were the bee's knee's and still are in some respects....but the size is small when you see them again........I was brought up on a diet of triang,corgi and Hornby(the wind up/clockwork train's) .......

ken Anderson........ne....1..... 60's dept..

My Dad worked for Mettoy in Northampton ( now an Aldi!) - they did all the inflatable Wembley vinyl footballs, squeaky toys and later - Space Hoppers! But they also made Corgi cars (moulds in Northampton and cast/finished in Swansea). But also they did Aurora plastic kits. Somehow - some of these products 'found' their way home.......

Among the various very large figures, Black Knight (on horseback!) , Red Knight, Scots man and Woman I recall an WW1 Albatross for certain and a couple of other WW1 Scouts. They didn't have many pieces! However they sowed the seeds and all my pocket money 1/3d a week (that's about 6 or 7p in decimal boys and girls!) went on Airfix from then on - legitimately bought and put together with pride! First kit was of course the Spit in blue plastic about 10 pieces in all?? As time went by I had about 100 or so most of which were displayed at the ATC HQ and that's where I left them.

Recently I ordered a plastic kit magazine for a reference article - how things change. Yes the 1/72 kits now seem very small indeed but have you seen all the after market stuff in etched material. Wow! Too complex for me but the potential for detailing even at 1/72 is amazing.

Terry

This is a "me to"responce.

Most weeks I would go with my parents into Manchester, visit Woolworths, for 2sh. I would be bought a Airfix kit.

That along with train spotting were part of education. Who was "Lord Howard of Efflingham", what was the "black watch". What did the Dehavilland Comet"do?

I also had a Auroa Fokker Triplane, a Albatross Dva,and a Fokker D7.

Little did I know that many of these things would be returning passions. Aircraft and history. Where aircraft are part of history, some things, fact, others fiction and so on.

Hi Steve,

Going through the same thing myself, I agree with you they do seem to be a lot smaller than they were back in the 60's & 70's, hands / fingers bigger & eyes failing even with glasses.

My son (almost 8) & I have built a Catalina and Concorde together so far, or a you put pass the parts to dad, wonderful father son times. I also build them myself for scale reference and detailing.

Now and again I build one just because I remembered building it 40 odd years ago.

Robert

Posted by Robert Parker on 05/02/2014 22:00:01:

Now and again I build one just because I remembered building it 40 odd years ago.

For a number of years now I have treated myself to one for the Xmas break and along with the other hangar work, build an airfix/revell or matchbox kit from way back when.. very therapeutic I find... and another reason to hind out for a few more hours.. teeth 2

Think we are showing our age, I used buy my kits from Gamleys stores and they always had a large selection of kits. When ever my parents went in to town on a Saturday I would buy a kit and build Saturday afternoon. Sunday I would wake up and first thing I thought of was painting and finishing the model.

Later years I started painting before building and learnt the little tricks like dry brushing etc. My claim to fame was buying a 1/32 scale B17 and adding weathering to it and coming second in a model competition .

I still do it today but these ones fly.wink 2

Mike

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 06/02/2014 05:45:31:

Airfix kit at its finest, I think:**LINK**

Yes, very good! Don't want to denigrate that work, but it surprises me just how many people there are with the patience of a Saint and the skills beyond belief. At least he does not have the nerve wracking task of seeing it lift off and fly!!!