Darran a Dawn Flyer (A first ever build)

Darran

I notched my leading edge around the fuselage simply because I feel it adds to the lateral positioning of the wing! A trait from my youth building free flight gliders where the wings were held on with elastic bands!

Get the wing seating correctly first the start on the covering.

Oh that's a surprise I would have guessed the leading edge because the trailing edge is already a thin piece.

so I should line up the wing to get it centred and then trim to seat it correctly before fitting the locating dowel and wing bolt mounting.

questions, questions.

I have trimmed my wing so it will sit snug in the gap in the fuselage as discussed. however when it rests on the wing supports it is not flat i.e. the supports slop away from the wing meaning only minimal contact is made with the wing spars and and the flat bottom of the leading edge etc. is this correct ?

having trouble mounting the wing servos to ply mount. I added some hard wood supports to screw the servo into but as soon a screwed into them they split. not good.

now i have to make some more and find a stronger wood for the mounting

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/06/2014 20:44:32:

I use plywood Darren, hardwood always splits for me because it's such a small piece.

John

i learnt a valuable lesson. when dealing with a small piece of wood drill pilot holes first.

I too always drill a pilot hole the same size as the screw between the threads. I also run the scres into the holes without the servo, remove them then run a drop of very thin cyano into the hole. I find this impregnates the timber making it a little harder and less likely to split or strip the threads in the wood.

Just make sure you leave the cyano to dry before re-fitting the screws with the servo! surprise