lettering and decals

iqon

I have just about completed building a wot 4 mk3 from a kit,

i want to do some lettering, Has anybody ever tried to do their own lettering using HK shrink film and ironing it on,

would it work ?

i do have other stuff available but would prefer to do it in the same colour scheme if possible

Advert

Rather than ironing on shrink-film, you're better off using SolarTrim or similar sticky-backed material. No need to iron it, so it doesn't shrink and distort when you apply it. If you wet it and the model with soapy water before applying, you can slide it around to get the position exactly right before dabbing it dry, and squeegeeing all the moisture out, with a kitchen towel. After a day or so it will be fully adhered to the model.

There is no reason why you cannot use covering film for stripes and letters. The Tucano 2012 edition set I did for last years mass build used Chinacote covering for all the stripes, you just need to make sure you use the lowest temp to activate the glue and not shrink the covering, also wetting the covering can remove the static before application, but pat it dry to avoid bubbles.

13a.jpg

To answer the O.P. the answer is yes and it works the same as any other iron-on film.

The problems are the same too: avoiding trapped bubbles and distortion.

For letters and insignia I would go to Tim as advised above, which is what I did for my Barnstormer but for straight decoration I use film on film.

I've used several various vinyl and covering films to make hand cut lettering for models. print the letters out on paper, Pritt-stick them to the Solartrim or vinyl, cut out with a scalpel leaving the paper in place and then float them onto the model with a weak solution of washing up liquid to slide them into place. pick off the damp paper and squeegee in place. It works fine. A swivelling tip on the cutting knife is a boon for cutting curves.

After doing that for many years, I've just recently invested in a Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter and some rolls of basic vinyl colours. I haven't yet made the leap of paying for the extra plug in that allows printing directly from Corel Draw! graphics and am using the software supplied.The first test cuts look encouraging, but the real motivation is to cut some paint masks on Frisk film for spraying.

Interesting...

I use Pyramid Models and thier decals, 'cos I'm LAZY. They did a fantastic job on my D8 and Pup.. I just sent them the pictures of the lettering and 4 days later it came through the post.

But, I do nod to you guys making your own. I have to do a british flag on my Be2c at some point. Paint masks and buttock clenching comes to mind...!

Turns out my stencils are too big to use on the fuselage and dont fancy measuring and marking so may have to look at buying some. But reading this and other posts on this forum decided to have a go at putting some markings on. This is the first build i have done completely on my own, this is the result and i am well pleasedwot 4 mk 3

• 3 years later...