Model Flying Accidents

Pete B

I've just deleted a thread on a tragic accident which occurred 11 years ago, just 4 days after another member posted the same link to the Daily Mail article. That thread was also deleted, with the agreement of the poster, once the age of the incident was established.

In neither case do I blame the member for posting it as if it was a recent occurrence, as the Daily Mail carefully removes all references to dates on its web pages, for what reason, I know not....

However, I would ask that before posting such items, members digs a little deeper to ascertain the facts, in order that we don't keep re-hashing old news. Continually reviving incidents from many years before just serves to increase their exposure and, arguably, provides material for those who would wish to raise issues about model flying.

I don't see this as a form of 'censorship' in any way. In the event of a recent incident, I agree that it should be discussed and given a good airing. It is essential that we learn from such incidents and tragedies in order to make what is, essentially a very safe hobby, even safer.

I hope everyone understands my reasoning for this decision.

Pete

Advert

hello Pete...we are allowed to talk- discuss all things and everything...about practically any subject........I cant see how talking about model aircraft incidents is any different unless they are taken out of context....I would have thought that people may have learnt form other people's experience's and mistake's......please don't take this a me(ne..1)arguing with you(Mod) ... I understand that you have the final say on what is posted.......

ken Anderson ne...1 ........feedback to Pete b dept

Hi Ken.

I don't think Pete is trying to censor, or restrict the content. The type of problem he is commenting on is due to members (me included) acting on information received and unfortunately getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, as it were.

I think that some of this is being done deliberately, by somebody (or more than one) who has a particular gripe against our hobby. I think we may find in the future an increasing number of "duplicated" accident reports regarding UAVs as this is going to be a very contentious subject.

kevinb.

I think that we should all be reminded from time too time that our so called 'toys' ,if abused, can potentially harm and kill.

I remember the sad story well, but , would a newbie to our great Hobby be aware of the dangers and history of the very few incidents over the years? I would like to think so.

On the off chance that they haven't and they stumble across a thread here (or any where else) perhaps changing their view regards safety, I think that justifies keeping a very serious story like this from being deleted, regardless of the time span.

Rich

No, Ken, I agree with you and I wouldn't want to see any form of forum 'censorship' in relation to accidents and incidents on the forum. It's important that we learn from such incidents and if, Heaven forbid, something was to happen in the next few days or weeks, there would be no problem in it being discussed here, I assure you.

However, I think we have to look beyond our right to discuss whatever we like and, at some stage, we have to make a judgement on when it is better to let long-past matters rest.

I'll accept that there may be aspects of the incident concerned, which occurred a long time ago, which may be of benefit to recent participants in our hobby. If anyone is interested enough to find out for themselves, then by all means let them find the reports - they are available on Press sites, such as mentioned above.

I do not think it is appropriate for this forum to revive yet again an issue which clearly would have caused so much pain for the families of those involved. What other websites choose to do is up to them - I just don't want the Modelflying forum to be the site which brings the subject back into the public domain again......

Pete - walking a tightrope deptwink 2

There are good arguments either way on this matter, but I think on reflection Pete is right.

It is bad that the Daily Mail website (possibly others too) not only removes the date of the original article but (last time I looked anyway, and I don't often look there!) displays the current date on the page. So an historic "news" article looks as if it's current news.

And if that is the accident I think it was, then it was indirectly responsible for the club I'm a member of being formed. I suspect it also led to other changes elsewhere too.

Maybe a good solution would be to insist that any postings of this nature MUST have the date and location of the incident or it will be deleted. If this information is missing, the posting would be removed and the poster would be given the opportunity to add it before the Moderator deletes the posting completely.

Paul

Unfortunately they are in the business of "News" which when it ages become "Olds". What better way to revive old stories but take the true date off and make it appear "New" again? After all why would the press let the truth get in the way of a good story? Ok so a few people might find this hurtful and others might get the wrong end of the stick, but that's news for you. angry.

I'm not for censorship but if the story is no longer topical it either has to go or at least be tagged in some way as "old news". Why give our detractors a gift wrapped stick to beat us over the head with?

Shaunie.

Hi Pete, tough call on this subject it's a bit dammed if you do and dammed if you don't from a moderator point of view. Personally I can see both points of view but after some consideration ( most unusually for me ) I consider the moderator the most appropriate opinion In this instance. (' note to myself' "don't be a moderator its much too difficult and I don't have either the tact, diplomacy or pacience to do the job" Its important to keep the safety awareness of our hobby as a priority but subdue the sensationalism of some of our news outlets. Who would want to be a moderator !!!