Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Having had time to sleep on this, I will probably join in as well. I suspect that you wont be trying to get them finished by this years Greenacres Fly-in, and I may be joining the show a bit late, but I'll catch up.. I'll build the Elite version as well.

That makes 5...

Martyn

Like Chris, I am hoping that some of the Ton and Danny magic fairy dust will rub off onto me as well.

TBH, I am building too many aeroplanes at the moment and not crashing enough. I need more complex models to slow the throughput down.

Just got the Magic to finish (almost ready for painting - the Mini-Jazz - hopefully finished in the next couple of weeks, an Aquila Glider to start and finish (that will sit on a separate building board - not a big build) - then the Stampe then the Chippie. So I reckon, I'll be able to make a start on this sometime early next month

Martyn

I'm going for the DB Elite too, but I think the tally will be more than 6! On the list earlier there was about 10 registered interested, now we have a couple more, and I think only about 2 or 3 maybe doing Airsail or other plan. Pleased to see the list growing and some of our more accomplished members joining in, looking forward to learning from all the expertise!

Sorry Martyn maybe I was very clear, we are not starting building until October, so you have a bit of time mate. We were giving plenty of warning so that people could get all the bits and pieces over the summer. I would love to start the Chipmunk today, but I too have some models to finish up. Apache, Hurricane and Bistormer all of which I hope to fly at Greenacres......

Cheers

Danny

Count me in. This is a good opportunity to complete a project that I started in 197? Since 1978 the part built airframe has lived in a dusty corner of my loft. Time to get it out again. As I recall, all the flying surfaces are built & the 2 fuselage shells planked ready to glue together. I still have the Merco 61 but it will have to be electric now.

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers John

May I ask a question guys ? I was in the process of doing an Airsail Chippie but gave up last year...bit's got broken and the build is incomplete. If I purchased the DB plans for the 68" version does anyone know if the Airsail cowl and canopy are usable in this build ? I have loads of spares from that kit and was hoping to use odds and sods to join in the mass (minor?) build. If the answer is yes.....then I'm in.

Tony

Hi Tony as Chris says if they are both1/6th scale then they should fit. It is all down to the accuaracy of each model.

I have scanned the back of the Dennis Bryant cowl, the height is 171mm from the outside of the top to the outside of the bottom. The glass is 1mm thick and therefore the internal height needs to be less than 169mm. On the Bryant plan the cowl is a little larger along the sides and across the bottom, this is correct and scale. this is to allow cooling air to escape from the cowl.

The back of the cowl is 190mm back from the front, just behind the prop hub.

Hope this helps but as Chris says the best bet is to buy the plan and see how it looks?

db cowl.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 25/03/2014 22:57:27

Now I appreciate this is the RCM&E forum, and of course I know it is the best RC magazine on the planet, but actually the nice people at Traplet have been very generous. Please see this reply I received this afternoon from Paul Davis

"We are happy to offer a 10% discount on the 68"/1727mm wingspan Dennis Bryant designed DHC-1 Chipmunk plan (Our Ref: MW3444), laser cut wood pack (Our Ref: WP3444), canopy (Our Ref: CA3444CY) and fibre glass cowl (Our Ref: CF3444CL) to anyone who advises us that the items are for this joint build project. Unfortunately, we are not able to make this offer available online but can accept orders by telephone, fax, email or post and payment by credit/debit card, UK Pounds Sterling cheque (drawn on a British bank), British Postal Order, Paypal or transfer directly to our bank account (details available on request).

Our Customer Services Department contact details are:

Traplet Publications Limited,
Traplet House,
Pendragon Close,
Malvern,
Worcestershire,
WR14 1GA.
UK.

Tel: +44 (0)1684 588 599
Fax: +44 (0)1684 575 979
Email: [email protected]

I think this is most generous, so a big thank you to Paul

Cheers

Danny

Well done Danny and nice one Paul.

I'm still harbouring intentions of joining in come 1st October (unless I demonstrate a suitable level of incompetence with my Barnstormer).

It sounds as though, with the start not until October, that there's no expiry date for the offer. Would this be your understanding Danny?

Hi Nigel, The offer is for those taking part in this project. I would suggest that October or soon after would be the cutoff. However as you say there is no mention of a cutoff date. If you don't want to miss the opportunity then don't leave it until too late I know several of us already have the parts, but hopefully it may encourage a few more to take up the challenge.

Chris and I will try and photograph every step, so provided you copy and don't try and go it alone I see no reason why you cannot build it wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Yes most generous but sorry not for me, Iam going all the way and will cut my one parts.

Have all summer to cut my parts so that should be enough time to select my wood and cut the parts.

Good to know that Chris and you Danny will photograph every step, should be nice following you guys with every step.

I do hope you guys are fast enoughwink, because I don't like waitingcheeky

Cheers

Ton