Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Danny,

Sorry to mess you about. Please add me to your list for hinges after all.

I think that the idea of finishing off my old build from the loft is a non starter. It's been up there since 1980 at least.

The balsa seems to have dried out & become brittle. I've rebuilt the flaps & ailerons already but each time I pick up the wing I seem to crack another rib.

So back to square one.

Incidentally the airframe weighed 2 pound 5oz. Wings tail & fuselage shells.

Cheers John

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 10/04/2014 23:02:35:

I have something that might be of interest but it is a chicken and egg thing. I have a friend in Holland that has kindly offered to CNC the hinges. Now those that have perhaps got the plan and have looked at this will know what I am talking about?

dennis bryant 68 inch chipmunk001 (medium).jpg

Anyway there are 28 seperate parts all cut from G10 or 1/16 fibreglass board, I have only shown a selection. Now if you are going to cut them yourself then great, if you are going to modify the wing and use Robart pin hinges again thats fine. But if you would like a set CNC'd can you let me know? I cannot tell you how much a set will be but the material alone is £5 a sheet plus postage thats enough for two sets.

Is anybody interested in me pursuing this?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

I've been following this thread and hope to join you all in the build in October.

So, if it's not too late, I would appreciate you also adding me to the list for the hinges, many thanks.

I have already ordered the wood pack and bundle, due any day but work has called me away for a few weeks, something to look forward to checking out when I'm home again.

Cheers

Pat

Good afternoon Mr. Fenton and forumites. I have been lurking and watching this thread since you proposed the building of the Chipmunk. I came accross this photo of an Irish Aer Corps Chipmunk and decided to join you all and build a model of the Irish scheme. d.h. chipmunk.jpg

Danny, can you please include me on the list for hinges?

Thanks, Eamonn.

Thanks Danny.

I shall consult the plan. As they are both 1/6 scale I shouldn't see any reason why they would not fit, but I take your point about how the kit's ailerons mount. Some alteration may have to be done if it is not "true scale".

In the meantime put me down as a maybe on the hinges.

kevinb.

Hinges - yes please, can you put me down for a set.

Havant posted in this thread so far but have been following along. If pressed I have to admit I perfure building to flying and so this build looks great, just wanted to make sure I wasn't biting of more than I could chew as it's a bit bigger than my normal 50 od inc. span. looking forward to it, just need to decide wether to go for wood pack or start cutting.

Hi Steve and Nev, I do worry that we are taking on something that some will find difficult in some areas, there are bits I still haven't worked out! But I am mightily impressed at the positive feedback to not just building but to trying something more scale. That's seventeen sets of hinges chaps, I am very impressed that so many are going to join in thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Just a quick update. I have spoken to the guys at SLEC and they have come up with what I think is a great price. However by the time you add postage to me and then postage on to you guys it rises a bit.

This is not the final price as we are still looking at options for the tooling, we may still have to drill the holes but it is reckoned we can use the larger tool to just "kiss" the surface to indicate where the hole needs to be.

The current numbers are £12.50 a set, but thats plus VAT and postage. By the time I have bought packaging, and added another £3 postage out to you guys we will be getting on for £20 a set. So I think that is probably a realistic target.

I am going to have to pay for these up front, so if anybody has had a change of heart please let me know? I still have a few items of clothing from the Greenacres/RCM&E bash last year that I got lumbered with, due to non payment, I don't want that again please....

Anyway don't do anything yet, let's wait and see the final quote with the right tooling

Cheers

Danny

I think an "as scale as you want to build it" approach would be the best way. Most of us taking on a first time scale build will probably be happy to build along to a level of detail we can cope with. It isn't a competition and the idea is to make a start at "proper" scale modelling. I for one won't be all that bothered about gettting the instrument swtches the correct colour, or having ALL the rivets in exactly the correct locations (sorry Danny). Having it look approximately right from a close distance will please me, as I'm sure it will many others who want to take part in the build.

kevinb.

PayPal would be best for me Danny due to being 'overseas'! Do you have an PayPal a/c? If so we would have to work out the postage and I would pay you the total with me paying the fee - or if you're going to Greenacres I could pick them up there?

If no Paypal I'll have to do a bank transfer.

Terry

Thanks chaps, appreciate your comments, and to be honest i wouldn't expect to be left carrying the can you are all a good bunch

I do have Paypal, when we get a figure I will ask for peeps to send me a PM with address details. Hopefully I will have some at Greenacres for those long distance travellers wink 2

I agree with you Kevin and Colin as scale as you like is good, but if you are gong as far as getting the control surface hinging right you may as well do a few extra bits. I dare say these wont be tough all weather hack models, I hope for a nice day scale hack wink 2

I am really looking forward to getting started thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

as with Terry, PayPal would be best for me due to being 'overseas'! Do you have an PayPal a/c? If so we would have to work out the postage and I would pay you the total with me paying the fee.

If no Paypal I'll have to do a bank transfer.

I sent an e-mail order for the plan, laser pack, cowl and conopy last night and am waiting for a reply. I'm starting to feel the buzz!

Eamonn.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/04/2014 13:39:07:

I am really looking forward to getting started thumbs up

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

May be worthwhile getting a new Forum in place where we can keep all these threads and posts. I think that it would sit well under the mass build Master Topic.

M

Hi Martyn, all sorted Mr Ashby is forwarned and is just awaiting a nod to create an area for us to play in wink 2

At the moment I think having it all in this thread is good. Once we get a lot closer to the start then perhaps we can each start a thread perhaps with our name then Chippy ie "Dannys Chippy" under the umbrella topic. I don't want to tread on the Mass Builders toes as this is seperate and in some cases could be long projects.

I thought perhaps each of you could start a thread and include a quick intro of your building experience, a picture of the prototype or model you want to copy, and what you want to achieve with the model?

How does that sound?

Cheers

Danny

That's great Danny

With the other Chippie variants and other build blogs already materialising, I think we may need to move a bit quicker. This thread would become the general discussion thread.

I will be ordering my plan/cowl/canopy next month..

Martyn