What new flying discipline do you intend to try in 2014?

Advert

Will-o,

I have to admit that I've not seen any C/L flying at BWA events but I do recall one of my local club members flying from our site when it flooded some years ago. He built a Catalina from the Aeromodelller plan, powered by a couple of PAW 19s.

Just don't try it from a boat......

I'm going to join in an NPOD this weekend at Newmarket following on from a telephone call I had with Ashley Hoyland after the EIM in Barnsley.

I've an interest in aerobatics, but have never had the discipline perhaps to take part.

Sunday will tell if I have any skills too.

Practice time has been sadly lacking because of the weather and other commitments, so it will be an interesting day.

I'd love to try a bit of sloping, considering I can virtually see Ivinghoe Beacon from my house. The problem I have is "dodgy knee" syndrome, so climbing to the West face is not likely to be an option.

I suppose I could wait for a northerly and fly from the car park slope, but the "northerlies" can be far and few between.

Slope soaring. I've had an attack of glider-itis for the past year or two. Done some thermal soaring and recently been chucking a glider off the slope. I'm about 1/2 hr from Ivinghoe, can manage the climb up to the west and north slopes near the trig point but have flown from the south and east ones as well. Hope to do a lot more this year and I've started to build a Sierra Mk2 glider from Phoenix.

Well apart from the need to sort out an 'A' certificate, I must get my SE5A flying for the club's scale competition. I have yet to fly it having bought it second hand and having slightly modified the cowling/ motor/ glow starter arrangement some while ago. However I could aim for the wooden spoon with my Great Planes 3D Flex-Flight YAK 55 a kit I bought a few years ago that has been left in the loft for a few years. Today I have set up the radio in the YAK and just need to complete the geared motor and Lipo battery installation. I note the kit is no longer produced and having read some of the reviews it would seem that the plane was not what it was 'cooked up to be'. that is it breaks very easily and is not as resilient as the manufacturer suggested.---Hopefully I will get some 3D practice out of the YAK before it falls to bits--anyone built and flown one?

yak 55.jpg

MJE

Large petrol - have to finish my Bettini Extra which I started 4 years ago. What a shame - I have moved it from Casatenovo in Italy to Leighton Buzzard, to Bloxham, to Milton Keynes and now it is packed up to go to Newport Pagnell.

Some of you may say that old Austrian is crazy - moving house in average every year - in fact I don't like moving house. So I say this time it is the last time - and purchased a bungalowface 1

First I have to build a shed - otherwise there is no model activity at all in 2014. So it could also be shedly doings - if building the shed itself counts...

VA

Voted 1st scale, Chip Shop!, but also need to do shed things (insulate), I have a Ares 75 Tigermoth so need to find an indoor venue, refurbish a Flair Volture and get that to a power friendly slope, would also like to have a go at thermal, assemble a Seagull Spacewalker and do my B cert. Oh and I forgot about the Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk sitting in the loft to be built! So that will be 5 New Disciplines then! crook Maybe some will roll into next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - I meant to name the three;

Black Horse Spitfire - problem getting fuel to the engien, need to replumb

Carl Goldberg Cub.- wing has gone lopsided and must cut new pieces from plaan to correct.

Bowman Miles Magister - this one just needs some reassembly.

Fortunately the weather has not been too favourable so I haven't really lost much in the way of flying time.

• 1 month later...