Preparing To Paint Aluminium U/C Legs

Adrian Smith 1

I have just purchased a so called ARF Wild Hare 28% Edge 540T for my OS 60GT gasser. However, the kit seems quite old (2005 vintage if the packing slip in correct) and the U/C legs are unfinished and look rather "agricultural". So as not to spoil the look of the plane I thought I would paint the U/C with proprietary fuel proof paint to match the covering. Do I use an etching primer first on the metal or should I use something else as a base coat?

Advert

Zinc chromate etch primer was always the traditional but I have a feeling it is hard to come by due to it not being very nice stuff. Nowadays when we are painting aluminium structures in the shipbuilding industry we use solvent based epoxy primers. It is most important that the surface is mechanically abraded (ideally shortly before priming) and of course the surface must be completely de-greased.

Hi Adrian, t's all in the prep. It always is when youre painting

Rub down with wet and dry used dry. Then etch primer. Finally, your top coats. Do you really need to do this? It will chip anyway. Your undercarriage flexes so much that.its inevitable. Unless, of course all your landings are greasers

ernie

I did this with standard Halfords primer and gloss. Keyed first with fine sand paper and then primed and finished.

Very durable, no chips or cracks BUT............... the fuel reacted with the paint and the red gloss became sticky!

So if you have genuine fuel proof paint (please let me know!) I would just use ordinary primer