That's One I Won't Be Taking to France.

I've had an interesting day of it.

It's been a glorious day here and I went to the flying field with the Penn
Models Super 60 and my Telemaster 40, a well-flown electric-powered model dating from the time when I imported Telemasters into Europe. My Telemaster 40, hereinafter T40, is a six-foot trainer with flaps and the flight battery is a socking great 5000 4S Lipo to allow for 20 minute training flights.
T40s are so-called because they were originally powered by a 40 two-stroke, and being more of an i/c man I've always half jokingly said I'd fit an engine to it! They are very easy to fly and I was planning to sell it to a club mate who we will call "X." After two flights with the Super 60 and a flight with X's electric powered vintage model, the wings of which were warped to so it wasn't easy to control, we got the T40 out.

The first thing which went wrong was that the battery on my DX6i transmitter was low so we couldn't use it, but nil desperandum, we bound my new DX9 to the model. We couldn't get the buddy box system to work either so X suggested that I fly the model and he'd watch. I hadn't allocated a flap switch but when I operated one of the switches the flaps moved to three positions, up, down and halfway. I was keen to try out the flaps as the DX6i has only two flap positions but that never happened either. We attached the wings with four new elastic bands, connected the motor to the ESC, put the model on the runway and I took off. I flew gentle circuits and horizontal figures of
eight at first. X was standing next to me drinking coffee, when I said, "It will do basic aerobatics." I put the nose down to demonstrate a loop and I don't think it was going that fast when the wings ripped off!

I was now of course, flying a dart. The fuselage plummeted to the ground and the wings took a further 15-20 seconds to flutter down to the next field. I have only ever once seen a model so comprehensively destroyed and that was when a similar thing happened to an eight-foot Senior Telemaster.

So what caused the crash? Either I had an inadequate number of bands on the model or there was some stress fatigue in the fuselage which I hadn't
noticed. Apparently, the motor is still sound and the wing seems to have survived. My fault anyway.

Some pictures of the wreckage and of the T40 in its prime attached. I only
wanted £10 for it, less receiver of course.

That's one I won't be taking to France!

Happy Landings (?)

David

Rapsody in Blue!

Team Telemaster

rip t40 (1).jpg

rip t40 (3).jpg

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 21/05/2014 19:34:41:

It's obvious, it didn't want a new owner so took the only way out!

I thought that 6 wing bands was usual? Perhaps that was the problem?

Maybe... too late now, and you're right WF, X is the worst pilot in the club!

Mind you that tailplane doesn't look too bad and the wing's undamaged...build a new fuzz,...strip off all of the covering...recover it in tex....fit an OS 48 Surpass to a Quiet Mount and I've got a nice hack aircraft again.

Just the job to wile away those long French winter evenings.

Posted by ken anderson. on 22/05/2014 17:14:25:

it didn't want to go to France......and who can blame it(Pete b) territory etc.....thank god for the channel...I say...

Looking forward to seeing you at Greenacres next month, Ken.......thumbs upwink 2

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 22/05/2014 21:26:55:
Posted by ken anderson. on 22/05/2014 17:14:25:

it didn't want to go to France......and who can blame it(Pete b) territory etc.....thank god for the channel...I say...

Looking forward to seeing you at Greenacres next month, Ken.......thumbs upwink 2

Pete

sorry Pete-I wont be there.....

ken Anderson...ne..1......greenacre's do dept.