Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Thanks Danny.

I'm planning to put the servos in the same orientation but with the rods running at the bottom. This would make the servo mountings slightly higher perhaps but the height from sheeting to top of servo should be the same and the connecting rod would fit lower. The bellcranks would be fitted upside down too.

Hmm, hadn't thought about the cockpit floor. I might give that part a miss and concentrate on the top half of the cockpit and the outer stuff this time.

Advert

Hi Nigel, sounds like a plan The servos I have mounted as low as they will go, the tops of the servos are just above the sheeting (if there were sheeting directly above) So my cockpit floor will be directly above the servos but attached to the fuselage, well that's the plan....

To connect and disconnect the flaps and ailerons you need to be able to drive the servos to the limits of travel to access the linking rods, if you seal the servos off that will become more difficult.

Cheers

Danny

Nigel, I am not saying you shouldn't do this, but deviating from the designers plan often leads to long and winding road, sometimes fun, more often frustrating, but you will learn that way. With this plan some deviation is innevitable and necessary. Attaching a tailplane by two thin bits of 1/8 for example. That will never survive 5 minutes in my workshop!

To me building complex models is a bit like chess you have to think several moves ahead. Undoubtedly a decision made in haste will come back to haunt you. But get it right and its a great feeling.

Cheers

Danny

Had a quick look at the fairings....I still cannot fathom what an earth is supposed to happen with the ply parts, the balsa bits seem straightforward enough though so they were attached. Trying to keep them symetrical.

0439 (large).jpg

0440 (large).jpg

I then decided things weren't right. The more I looked at the three view the more seemed wrong so I scaled the three view to match the model and then overlayed the print on the model.

0441 (large).jpg

It looks like F8 is half an inch to far back.

Ahh well onwards and upwards

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

I know just what you mean. Dennis certainly gave us somethings to think about. The plans are incredibly vague in this area & also,as you say, inaccurate too. The first time I made the fairings I ended up hacking the whole lot off. (I was pretty hacked off myself). The fairings are such a prominent feature they do need to look right. I came back to it after about 3 weeks & had another go, but the whole lot almost went into the bin at this stage. Some sections on the plan would have been a help. Anyway, I think the second attempt was better but I'm still not sure if they are right. It took a lot of eyeballing & comparing photos.

Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring." Nil illigitimi carborundum', as the Romans said.

Cheers John

Hi John, and thanks. At the moment with the revelation that the flaps and ailerons are hugely over size I am not sure what to do now...... Just goes to show how experienced Ton is at this game and how much I have to learn embarrassed

You may remember Ton asking if anybody had overlay a 3 view on top of the plan........ wish I had done that crying 2

Hi Danny

I have just checked the dimensions on my 1/24 scale 3 view from MHS - drawing no. 3063 - dimensions x4 to 1/6 scale

Under surface

flap chord at root: 54mm

flap chord at junction with aileron: 52mm

aileron chord at junction with flap 44mm

Aileron Chord at tip 44mm

Upper Surface

flap chord at root: 52mm

flap chord at junction with aileron: 50mm

aileron chord at junction with flap 38mm

Aileron Chord at tip 38mm

Elevator

Root 72mm

Tip 48mm

That's a real bummer if the mod lets me say that. Even starting from scratch its a lot of rework

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 30/10/2014 16:16:29

Hi Martyn, yes thats the same drawing I am using. I have scanned it then scaled it up to 1/6th. It is a big error and is more than a tweak to the structure.

At the end of the day it will still be a lovely model don't get me wrong. You will have to do a a major re-design to correct this, as the trailing edge of the wing will need moving back nearly an inch. This will also make the hinge sets useless.

I would suggest you just keep going.....as I think I will.

sorry about this, should have checked the plan against the three view.

Cheers

Danny

This is my first scale build so I'm not too worried if it doesn't turn out 100% although I feel sorry for those who are trying to be a bit more accurate. I'm going to finish mine more or less too the plan, I'll get the same enjoyment out of it and learn just as much.

By the time I'm finished I won't be worried about the size of the flaps.

Danny

I can only echo previous comments, this model may not end up perfect scale but I for one am learning lots of great new techniques following the build. I am more than happy with how its looking up to this point.

As a matter of interest from a few posts ago, how did you manage to get a better fit of the wing to the fuselage ? I see you have reduced the misfit considerably.

Keep up the great work

Martin

Thanks guys I really appreciate your comments, I really did feel bad two fold, firstly that I had let you guys down by not spotting the problem, and two letting myself down because I intend to use this for some scale competition, and that looks like it may be a non starter now. Still we will still end up with a nice model. And consider it a practice run for the 1/4 scale one next winter

Cheers

Danny

As the other guys have said, you're achieving your objective of giving us all a chance to develop higher level scale model build techniques, no problems there. When this is done there's going to be that many Chipmunks whizzing about that you'll probably lose motivation and want to build something else! ( A Winjeel would be nice).

Thanks Dave I appreciate that, hopefully seeing all the guys building what is quite a complex model will keep me at it

I did a little more tonight once the pumpkin was whittled with my 7 yr old

0442 (large).jpg

Added new fairing formers the others didn't look right.

0443 (large).jpg

0444 (large).jpg

Slapped some sheeting on to see if it was going to work and realised I really need the wing fitted.

0445 (large).jpg

It was clear with the shapes of the leading and trailing edge sections that dowels weren't going to work. So I have opted for a dual wing bolt set up. This is the forward one.

0446 (large).jpg

And this is the rear one.

0447 (large).jpg

0448 (large).jpg

I have used wood glue, bolts and then wicked thin zap in too.

Of course this means the front of the wing may need reinforcing, need to check back through the picks to see whats under the sheeting

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 30/10/2014 23:12:03

Hi Danny just to echo what other's have said your doing a great, no, brilliant job of guiding us novice's through the build and after this one with all the curve ball's it's throwing up wee'l all be better builder's for it as well as the new techniques we're learning. As far as i am concerned this is a run through for another project later on i look at it as my apprenticeship, ok i still want a nice flying model and sure i will have, but it is what it is mate, a go at doing something scale. 1/4 scale next year? count me in