Kev`s Chipmunk Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Duncan, a lifelong engineer that has over the last 3 - 4 years re-kindled a strong interest in the challenging world of RC modelling. As a sprog I had a keen interest, but no cash so life revolved around paper rounds and KeilKraft free-flight, with zero experience in the art of actually controlling an RC model. I gain enormous pleasure out of building, and since re-joining the hobby have built 3 models to date - 48" Cirrus moth (DB sport and scale), Puppeteer (Flair) and P51 (Dynaflight) all electric conversions. I am well aware that my building choices are ahead of my flying capabilities, so I also have a couple of trainers and simulator to practice with - after all a bin bag filled with a trainer might be a little upsetting, but far less than a long term labour of love. I am very fortunate to have an experienced flying buddy who has monitored my flying progress and stands as a useful "brick wall" to help control any urge to fly above my weight.

I have recently purchased a wood pack for the very same 68" Chippy being built in this log, and I must say I have read all the comments and support from fellow modellers, and it has made me realise the value of the world of forums. I have already picked up some useful tips - thanks to all.

I couldn't help noticing a sheet of hinges etc sitting in the background of one of the photos - so no prizes for guessing the next question ..... does anyone know where I can buy them?

Thanks for reading,

Duncan

Hello Duncan, nice to see another builder. You will be delighted to hear that this build is one of many, since there is a mass build of these on the forum at the moment, if you didn't already know. I am just an interested observer and not much use to you but the people building them are great and will answer any queries.

CS

Hi Duncan, the hinges were drawn up by Danny Fenton and he then got around 25 sets laser cut for us at a cost of around £20 if i remember correctly, they were well worth the money and were cut from glass board i think.

I am not sure if anyone has a set spare but if you drop Danny a p.m. things will be sorted or pop a post on the chip shop thread and someone is bound to help you out.

Cheer's, Andy.

Hi Duncan and welcome to the Chipmunk madness.

As the guys have said you have found one of nearly 20 builds that are all on this forum. If you go to this section you will find it is dedicated to everything to do with the Chipmunk builds. There is a thread for general chat and advice (which is where this should really be) and then there are the other members build blogs. My blog is "Danny's poor mans Spitty"

I have given the hinge set drawings to the nice peeps at SLEC and if you cross their palms with a small amount of silver and ask for the hinge set for the Dennis Bryant Chipmunk they should be able to sort you out. I was dealing with CNC Chris, if you ring them (01953 885279) you will probably get Tina, just say Danny put you on to them

Anyway have a read of the "Chip Shop" thread and it will give you the background of what we are trying to achieve, if you want to join in just create a thread in the chip shop section

I and I am sure the others will look forward to seeing a thread start soon

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/05/2015 23:46:25

Thanks for the advice Dan - I will get in touch with SLEC as you suggest, and as for the forum language I will get to grips with it sooner or later.

Your Chippy = a thing of joy and beauty and shows me how it should be done!

I notice the deeper rudder, is this the same mod Kev has done, and if so why - Is it to aid with aerial performance or simply aesthetic preference? As you know with the Traplet plans there is an option to build the rudder in one of two ways, I am just trying to understand the reasons/ benefits of selecting one version over the other before I steam in to my own build.

I am as yet unsure how much scale detailing I will include - I need time to ponder on this one.

On another note I have a bunch of photos of my other models and wonder where to put them. When I start my own thread in the chip shop - is this the best place by way of introduction?

All my models have been built as electric from the beginning and I just thought people might be interested in how I handled battery access etc.The Pup is probably the most unusual - the cowling is hinged at the bottom, has a retention wire to prevent "over opening", with the battery being mounted on to a removable stretcher that is held in place with a pair of lugs and latches. The tail detaches leaving the wings and undercarriage ready to go without too much fiddling in the pits!

Thanks again

Duncan

Praise indeed Andy, thank you

Duncan you need to navigate to the correct section for what you want to discuss, and create a thread. For example introducing yourself and starting your build would need to be under the Chip Shop section.

The sort of chat we are doing now should really be in the chip shop thread within the chip shop section, confusing I know, the thread and the section having the same name.......

It is poor etiquette to discuss things other than pertaining to the specific thread. So we should not be putting all this in Kev's thread, and cluttering his build......

I will ask one of the mods if they can move this to the Chip shop thread.

As for your other stuff then you just have to pic a section that seems appropriate, probably the workshop section?

There are some guidance threads on how to create an album and add pictures as it can be a "challenge" on this particular forum

Cheers

Danny