Kev`s Chipmunk Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Advert

Sounds like you've got a good approach Kev. Best thing that ever happened to me, but I was already unsettled and I managed to get an extra pay-off because they didn't follow the process properly. No chance of that with you I suspect though. sad

During the process many people seemed to adopt a sort of gallows humour. The Great Escape theme started appearing as the ringtone on several phones...

I hope it works out well for you, whatever happens.

Edited By Nigel Day on 22/11/2014 08:04:09

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 21/11/2014 19:33:35:

Cheers Danny.

Nowt you or I can do about it so I am just going to deal with it as best I can. I have seven months employment guaranteed.

I am not going to let it bother me. Life goes on.

Kev

Read about your troubles at work.....my sympathies. I used to work for dpd, artic driver, going along lovely. Then my shift and my whole world turns on its head....much upset. Anyhow work for Jewsons now and life is soooo much less stress.

Keep your chin up bud. Life has a way of kicking you now and again but I'm sure it will be ok in the future.

Hi Guys.

Cymaz. I was also a class 1 driver and worked with some pretty nice guys, and earned good money, at DPD - until I told the agency I didn't want to go back!! If you want, I'll tell you why if you PM me.

Kev. I was amazed when I read your earlier post regarding the upcoming procedures. No wonder the company is having to downsize when people, probably petrified of making some sort of process error, are allowed to set up such a long winded, cumbersome and expensive selection/elimination process. Like Nigel, I got extra dosh because someone made an procedural error, but, it wasn't really that much and I could believe that your lot won't, potentially, save that much, if anything. with all this costly covering of tail feathers. Meanwhile you and the other guys are having to live with it. I've been there - 4 times - it ain't nice, but don't let the beggers beat you down!!

Good luck Kev.

So after a frustrating week or so I managed to do a bit more.

First off I offered the plan up to the window and traced the relevant lines and notes.

0033 wing reversal (2).jpg

Onto the board and the second wing was soon under way.

0034 2nd wing.jpg

Progress I find is usually quicker on the second wing due to knowing the procedure.

Today had me joining the two halves.

0036 wings joined  (2).jpg

0036 wings joined  (6).jpg

To cap it all I am coming down with man flu, so cyno fumes and balsa dust are not going to help me right now.

Kev

Posted by AlexJ on 27/11/2014 23:26:14:

Hi Kevin,

i thought you had brought the mattress into the den build from your sick bedwink!

i hope you feel better soon.

Regards

Alex

The mattress is my daughters who retuned home for a short time nearly two years ago!!!

Fingers crossed she will be moving out again middle of December, then I can get the rest of my workshop back.

Kev

Posted by Terry Walters on 28/11/2014 08:18:47:

Hi Kevin - are you sure the man flu isn't really CA flu? It certainly gets me like that - just lijke a mild flu.

Anyway - hope you are back up and fighting fit soon!

Terry

Could well be Terry.

This is the first time I have used CA as the main glue in a build. Have previously only used it for tacking the odd bit whilst the Aliphatic dried.

I had no effects from building the first half of the wing though.

Should be able to do some odd bits over the weekend between work.

Kev

• 1 month later...

So did everyone enjoy Christmas? I had one day off over the festive period, just Christmas day.

I am also working tomorrow, New Years day. That did how ever enable me a day off today. Normal days off should resume from this weekend.smiley

After doing my man chores for the day, I decided to get back into the workshop.

Sheeted the top and centre sections, also at this stage I have inserted the wiring for the port and starboard wing tip lights. Nothing fancy just a cheap set of lights from HK.

Added the undercarriage beech blocks with lots of lovely epoxy.

0038 wing wiring (2).jpg

Laid up the parts for the flaps and aileron`s. I think I need to go back over Danny`s build because I think I remember reading that he had to redo part of them.

0037 flap`s and aeliron`s (2).jpg

Good to be back in the workshop and doing stuff again.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 31/12/2014 16:02:08

• 4 weeks later...

As I said in a post in the Chip Shop thread, I am still slowly plugging away.

Flaps and aileron`s built..

0039 flaps & aeilerons (1).jpg

Also the rear centre section has been sheeted (badly), but I am hoping that I can disguise that later.

0040 centre section (2).jpg

Now I have decided to go with separate sevo`s for the flaps and aileron`s in each wing. Has any one elso gone down this route, and if so how have you fitted them? I should of course have decided this before the wing was built, but hey ho.

0041 wing servo`s (2).jpg

Using thin wing servo`s. Never tried them before.

Kev

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 22/01/2015 18:37:48:

Next on the agenda is the wire bending for the undercarriage. A job I hate.

Kev

Been there done that Kev - only had to make three to get two usable ones!! LOL Tip: Make sure you know which way the legs are orientated before you bend - it's either not as easy as it looks or I'm just stupid! surprise!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for asking Nigel.

As you may know my work future is hanging in the balance at the moment. I have undergone all my interviews, assessments and tests, and I am waiting to find out if I have scored enough points to get a "provisional" job offer.

That is week commencing 16th March 2015. (Strangley enough that is the week SWMBO and I are going to Malta for a week, cheap as chips, sod it all kind of getaway from it and forget the real world for a while. I hope to drop into the Malta Model flying Club whilst I am there.)

Then if I am successful week commencing 6th April 2015 I will be offered a position, a position that could be my current one or one that I have never worked in before, and someone who has never worked in my position may get mine. If not I am facing redundancy.

So my mojo has taken a bit of a knocking and I can not face anything that requires a lot of effort.

To that end I have had a bit of a cheat and bought these.

dscf0323.jpg

dscf0336.jpg

The quad was fun to build and great fun to fly.

The Radjet is yet to see air under its wings.

So the Chipmunk parts that I have built so far, tail and wings are languishing in a corner of the workshop.

I will return to them as I do not like to go onto another project until I finish the last one.

Kev