Kev`s Chipmunk Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Firstly I need to say that I have not been doing this RC malarky as long as some, and certainly not up to the standard of most. I never built any Kiel Kraft or other such kits until recently. My very first building experience was building the plane that came with the book from the BBC series about 40 years ago. Can`t for the life of me think what it was called now.

I have no background in the ATC like a lot of you, and no flight experience in a Chipmunk., wish I had.

I started RC flying about 20 years ago. My first trainer was a Cosmo powered by an SC25 and it lasted four flights! My usual instructor was busy teaching another learner, so a helpfull soul said he would take me up. Keen as I was I took him up on his offer. Anyway from a great height and at full chat I made a great impression on the ground. Engine buried completely, airframe a complete write off. "I thought you were more experienced than that says he." My original instructor said it was the best thing I could have done as it was a pig of a plane. I of course at that time knew no better.

Got myself another trainer and proceeded to learn the basics.

Deciding that I needed another model, I bought a Flair Cub. Built it (my first ever build) flew it and still have it. I did my first full solo flight with the Cub. !

It took me a long time to learn to fly and I went back to a trainer,a Ripmax Trainer40, as the Cub I found was not the ideal model for me to improve on.

I was just about getting to grips with everything when life got in the way. I took a sabbatical and returned to flying in 2008. Having kept all my gear it was an easy thing to do. I joined my local club having moved in the mean time. Buddied with an instructor for the first three flights and was back at it like a duck to water. took my "A" in 2010 and have not looked back.

My fleet now consists of..

Flair Cub. Presently mothballed.

Flair Pup. OS52FS

Flair Legionaire. ASP48FS

Galaxy magician. Magnum XL 46 Took my A with this.

Mini Roo. Presently mothballed.

Mini Jazz. SC15

Maxi Jazz. OS40FP

Mini Jazz MKII. SC12

Chorus Gull. Lazer80

Dawn Flyer. My first electric build.

Kestrel Autogyro OS35 MAX

Farmhand 90. CRRC40GFI Petrol

Mitsubishi Zero. ASP 52

1/4 scale Fokker DVIII. 28 CC strimmer conversion

1/6th scale Sterling Models Stearman. Presently mothballed.

Parkzone Ultra Micro Mosquito.

Parkzone Ultra Micro F4U Corsair.

E-Flite P40 Warhawk.

Blade MCX Heli.

As you can see it is pretty varied, but there is a theme. I like to build.

So why am I doing the Chipmunk?

I attend quite a few fly ins and when I compare my "scale" stuff to others I think to myself, surely I could do that.

My object is to build the best model I can. One that I can take to the various fly ins and the club strip.

Do I want 100% scale? No.

Do I want a challenge? Yes.

I have never used glass cloth and epoxy, I have never done rivets. There is so much I have not done.

I hope to learn lots from doing this, and to possibly giving a little back.

Am I daunted by the challenge? No, I will do my best.

Chosen subject. WP964 Army Air Corps- Middle Wallop.

Why? It looks like a "Warbird".

0004 chosen scheme.jpg

I have started gathering a few bits together.

I have the engine, a lovely Laser80. I hope it fits. I am currently in possession of twenty sets of hinges, but think I may only need one.

Glass cloth and epoxy purchased.

I intend to add small scale details, nav lights and such like.

I hope also to load it full of telemetry. Another first for me.

I think I will go with the CNC cut kit as although I normally cut my own, errors can occur. planning on making that purchase in July or August.

So there you have it. Apologies for boring you all. If you got this far well done.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 03/06/2014 08:31:22

I do like your colour scheme Kevin, was one of my runners up. If I ever get around to the 1/4 scale JB Chippie in the cupboard it may well be that scheme. But we are fickle lot so I bet half of us change our minds half way through wink 2

Your story and sabbatical are much like mine and many others on here, I too would love a flight in a Chippy, and was not in the ATC sad

Thanks again for collecting the hinges, now you won't forget to bring them to GMAC will you

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/06/2014 13:16:00

• 3 months later...

OK then I have bit the bullet.

As you may know my employment status was, and still is under threat.

Today the cowl, canopy, and wood pack have been ordered from Traplet. Thanks to John I already have a copy of the plan and so that has saved me a few pounds.

Chosen scheme has not changed. Can a mod please put the picture at the top of my thread please. I think I will need the inspiration.

Kev

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 20/09/2014 21:46:38:

Nice choice of subject Kevin, it's going to be a good one!

Cheers Colin.

I partly chose this as it looks like a "Warbird", and partly because I have a hankering for an Auster AOP, which also has the camo scheme.

And who knows, they even have a Beaver in the same scheme.

Kev

Today when I got home from work there was a big brown cardboard box waiting for me.smiley

0006 unboxing the kit (1).jpg

Looks bigger than I was expecting.

So carefully cutting through the tape so as not to damage any contents.

0006 unboxing the kit (2).jpg

A box full of shredded paper bubble wrap and foam.

Buried in there was a Cowl.

0006 unboxing the kit (3).jpg

A canopy.

0006 unboxing the kit (4).jpg

And another cardboard box, with its end poking out the side.

0006 unboxing the kit (5).jpg

And inside that was.

More bubble wrap.

0006 unboxing the kit (6).jpg

And lots of lovely laser cut parts.

0006 unboxing the kit (7).jpg

0006 unboxing the kit (8).jpg

0006 unboxing the kit (9).jpg

First impressions of the cut parts is very good. There was however one sheet that had a small amount of scorching to the reverse face.

0006 unboxing the kit (10).jpg

The cowl will need some work as there are some small imperfections to deal with.

The canopy is a large one piece affair and I am looking at it wondering if I can get it to slide.

I have resisted temptation and have replaced all the wood back in the box until the 1st October 2014.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 24/09/2014 19:18:23

Posted by Danny Fenton on 29/09/2014 17:30:26:

Hi Kev, see if your copy shop will do a mirror of the wing plan I am waiting for a friend to source one for Chris and I. Will make life a great deal easier.

1 minute past midnight and you will be posting your first pics I can tell

As good and helpful as the local copy shop is they are unable (or were the last time I asked) to do mirror image`s.

No way will I be doing anything until others have made the first mistake`s cuts.

Kev