Kev`s Chipmunk Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

A slow start from myself.

I have decided to take a look at a few of you other builders threads before I "chip" in.

There is however a couple of bits I can do like laminating F1 and B3. So the parts are cut from the sheet waiting for tomorrow so that I can mix up some epoxy.

0009 laminating parts (2).jpg

I may have had a slight change of heart on the engine choice. Instead of the Laser I was intending to use, I am thinking of going petrol.

Kev

I mentioned early on in the thread that I was interested in the Evolution 61 petrol for this project, thinking about fuel economy and the power characteristics being perhaps suitable. Bob Cotsford said in his thread on the Mustfire that he'd fitted one, so I asked him about it. He had some reservations though, which left me uncertain. Apparently a lot of the apparent fuel saving is offset by the very expensive oil that you have to mix with the petrol. In a way I'd like to try one, I don't know if Bob is following the thread and whether he has got more experience with the Evo yet? Otherwise my decision will be between four stroke glow or electric, but definitely not two stroke. No rush though, I'm not ready to start on it just yet.

So after five days what have I done.

Well not a lot actually.blush I had planed to use last Thursday as a building day, but the weather was to good so I went flying instead.yes

That has only left me a few hours each evening after work. So dividing my time between "house duties" and building this is where I am at.

I started by changing the rudder core to the MKII version.

0011 rudder modification (3).jpg

0011 rudder modification (6).jpg

Would you believe it actually took me two days to pluck up the courage to cut the part and add the extension!!

The result was worth it though.

And I laminated the two F1`s and B3`s

0010 parts laminated.jpg

And that`s it.blush

In a way I am rather glad to be following others. I learn from watching and absorbing information.angel

I hope to be able to report more progress soon.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 05/10/2014 21:12:12

Please help me guys.

I'm a virgin builder. Can I make a couple of observations - without getting sued, hopefully!!

With this build only just beginning I am surprised already at how many problems and inaccuracies have seemingly been found in the plans. I can't help wondering how these plans were allowed out to purchasers without first being thoroughly tried and tested. Is this normal?

Hi Andrew.

It is a bit of a case of "lost in translation".

20 different builders often have 20 different approaches to the same problem.

The plans were drawn many years ago before the advent of CAD. I guess somewhere along the line some inaccuracies may have crept in during the conversion to digital format.

Fear not though we will overcome the small issues.

Kev

In a way these 'inaacuracies ' have made me feel a lot better about my Dennis Bryant Turbulent build (On hold now due to the Chippie) as I began to feel that I was identifying too many faults with the plan and the laser cut parts and that it was me that was not building correctly!

It's all part of the education process and that's why the retailers always say "Not For Beginners!" i.e. only take this on if you know you'll have to work things out for yourself!

So enjoy the journey and the learning experience - I am! smiley!

Terry

Progress has been painfully slow.

All I have managed to do is laminate the fin leading edge.

0013 fin lamination (1).jpg

And hand assemble the fin post and formers.

0014 fin and lamination (1).jpg

Twice I managed to break the fin post at R4 where the hinge goes in. crying 2

I am sure once it is sheeted it will be plenty strong enough.

The main reason for my slow building is that I use Aliphatic throughout where wood to wood joints are require.

So in a total break with tradition I have ordered some ZAP. Never used CA as main glue before. Any one got any pointers?

I did also order some of those fine tips that Danny talked about in his thread at the same time.

Kev

Well done Kevin, if you are happy with aliphatic then stick to it, scuse the pun I think you will love using CA but if you haven't used it before be careful it does like to stick flesh to..... well just about anything. The Z-Tips etc are great for making the application of small amounts. The thin CA will soak through a nice soft balsa and stick your fingers to the wood even though you didn't get it on the outside, it wicks through like crazy, which is a GOOD thing.

If you use a plan protector such as sold by balsa cabin, have a small square of the plastic to loosely put over the joint while you apply pressure with your fingers, it really does stop you sticking to the model.

Also CA takes much longer to set if the surface isn't porous, so dont try and stick say ply with thin CA, medium works better for this.

Love the laminated leading edge wish I had done that

Cheers

Danny

So after another week what do I have.

One completed rudder and fin.

0016 fin and rudder (2).jpg

I need to go back and revisit the rudder as the top is not scale and I was a little heavy handed when it came to the rough sanding. blush Also need to add the shroud, but I have no 64th ply in stock, SLEC here we come.

Today`s progress has been much quicker than previously thanks to CA. This only took me 10 minutes where as before each rib would need 10 minutes before I could move onto the next using aliphatic.

0017 tailplane (2).jpg

I have moved the hole for the hinge as per everyone else. I do not think I would have noticed this working on my own. There is much to be said for following others. yes

The tail former is now glueing to the sheet. I am using aliphatic for this as I like the security. I will then drizzle CA along each rib whilst bending the sheet ala Danny.

Kev

After sheeting the bottom half of the tail plane and waiting for further sheeting to dry, (joining two sheets to make one) I decided that next was to be the elevator`s. (following in Danny`s footsteps!!!).

0018 tailplane half (2).jpg

Any how I cut them from thee sheet`s joined the 4 bits and came up with this.

0019 elevators (1).jpg

Look closer.

0019 elevators (2).jpg

So is the plan wrong or the cutting? I carefully lined both up and there is a small discrepancy in the two halves.

0019 elevator discrepancy (1).jpg

???????????

Kev

Try the left on the right on the plan Kevin. You cant apply modern cad accuracy to these plans. If its still out you will have to adjust things accordingly. Make sure the gap to the tailplane at the tips is right. The gap that remains at the root wont matter as much
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/10/2014 20:14:41