Kev`s Chipmunk Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

After much thought and mulling over all the comments about the true "scale" of the plan I have decided to go with push rods for my ailerons and flaps. With the effort gone into getting the hinges from SLEC via Danny an the going into will it won`t it territory, I bottled it.

So push rods and bell cranks!

Never done them before!! All previous models have had servo`s in the wing.

Q1 How on earth do you work out where to mount the plate, height wise.

Q2 How do you then determine where the hole`s need to go in the rib, again height wise. I want to put the hole`s in place before commencing the build!

Q3 I am going to be adding a small scale feature in the wing tips. Lights! These will obviously need to be routed through the ribs also. Where would the best place be to put a third set of holes, without destroying the strength of the ribs?

Kev

That was my thinking also.

3 rulers.

Top one shows lights.

Middle one aileron route.

Bottom one (small ruler) flaps.

Nothing glued yet, still getting my head round this!!

0029 wing rod runs.jpg

Not going anything silly in the light department. Just some cheap ones from Hobbyking. Wires will need extending, but for this ex TV engineer no problem.

Turnigy R/C LED Lighting System.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 01/11/2014 21:04:55

Kevin if you are not comfortable with bellcranks then don't use them. Unless you are really spot on they are difficult to fit without too much slop. With modern lightweight servos then don't feel you have let yourself down by not using bellcranks. I wish I hadn't been so pig headed in wanting to use them embarrassed Try them on the flaps and see how you get on. Having said that if you cannot get them to work you can always rip the cranks out and fir a pair of servos

Basically with the cranks you generally fit them so that the link to the control is as perpendicular possible. On mine, because of the height of the bellcrank "stack" that meant fitting as low as i could in the rib. Remember I have 3/16 hard balsa wood rails under the ply plates.

If you look at my ribs the permagrit needle files have had to be used to alter the holes in the ribs to alleviate any binding, but then filled in with small scrap pieces to slop the piano wire flexing and "bouncing" with Vibration.

If you want the dimensions I have used then I can let you know what they are exactly

Cheers

Danny

It is Wednesday so it must be weekly update time.

Following on from my decision to go with the plan with respect to control links I have finally put glue to wood.

0030 wing construction (2).jpg

Well actually quite a bit of glue to wood.

All the above is glued and drying as I type.

Nice and straight.

0030 wing construction (13).jpg

0030 wing construction (11).jpg

Used aliphatic for the centre section and trailing edge and CA for the ribs and false trailing edge .

Kev

There will be no weekly update this coming Wednesday!

Why?

Well SWMBO and I find out on November 21st of one or perhaps even both of are to be made redundant. November the 21st is the date set for us to be told our fate, (but we could still remain in our current positions for anything from 3 months to a year!!)

So we have said sod it and have booked a late deal to Madeira for a week.

See you all a week Monday.

I suspect by then that Danny will also have converted his to RTP. laugh

Anyway this is where I am at.

0031 centre and sheer webs (1).jpg

0031 centre and sheer webs (2).jpg

Mulling over the centre section and the possibility of adding sheer webs.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time away. Thanks for all the positive comments, cheered me up no end.

Going to take me a couple of days to read through all the threads to catch up, but am aiming to do that soonest.

Then on with the build.

If you have never been to Madeira, then put it on your list.

Stunning landscape and rugged terrain.

Kev

D Day today.

The basics are as follows.

In my department there are two managers. One of us will no longer be required. However there will be vacancies in other departments.

The process for selection will start early January 2015. We will have a one to one with the top boss man and HR.

We will then have to do several on line assessment and technical aptitude tests.

Following that we will go for another one to one to find out how we did in the tests and discuss which job we would like (if any).

This whole process will take until late April or early May 2015 to complete. Any one not getting (or wanting) one of the offered jobs will not be able to take redundancy until late June 2015.

So as I see it, I may remain in my current position - 50/50 chance. I may be offered an alternative position, or I may be made redundant in June 2015.

There are possibilities that I may even get a better higher paid job (but not sure I want all the "effluent" that goes with it.)

So still none the wiser I am going to crack on with the build. Albeit at a slightly slower pace as we approach the silly season that for us is Christmas. I think I have told you all before NEVER EVER work in retail.crying

First things first though I am going to invest in a larger bench.smiley

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 21/11/2014 18:56:07