workbench

Phil 9

Advert

Phil

I would, if it were me, bolt some 6mm MDF inside the angle at the back and sides, this would increase the rigidity no end. It also has the added advantage of preventing things falling down the back and sides. We all have the under bench gremlins that steal things and hide them under the bench, don't we?

It does not look bad for the money, but it does not state the bench height only overall height. Depends whether you are tall or short what bench height suits. Having a high top might get in the way of the tailplane, something you can pull away from the wall might be better for aircraft. It might be a good idea to fit a back piece to brace the lower section - either metal straps diagonally or a solid MDF back. Same at sides. Filling in the back and sides might increase rigidity and provide useful weight too.

It does not take much work or timber to make your own sturdy bench exactly to a height that suits you. Dexion can make a bench easily if you dont like woodwork. Or an old kitchen unit might make a suitable base for very little outlay. An old desk etc might be equally good and have some storage........

The wooden carpenters bench with 2 vices for 59 pounds seems OK too, depending on quality of joints and material size. Again beefing it up could make it more rigid and add useful weight. An opportunity to see one would be necessary to decide if it was solid enough or just useless, however it seems to come from Germany which is a good thing usually.

I made one of mine up out of an old internal door (plain flat type) and knocked up a frame and legs out of some 3'x3' timber. Fits in the shed a treat and is very sturdy for building on. My other bench is solid wood and is fitted with a vice, grinding wheel etc.

Mark.