This Chip-monk will be praying for help

Nigel Day

Although I built a lot of Airfix kits when I was a kid I didn't make it to RC seriously until a year ago.>>

I too spent a short while in the ATC but a move away to rural South Wales meant that I never got very far. I did get offered the chance to become an RAF officer straight out of university but as they wouldn't let me fly (asthma as a kid), I said no thanks. Although I've always been interested in flying, I've never had the time and the money at the same time to do anything about it. The closest I've come is a few business trips in helicopters (Copenhagen to Malmo) and one on my own in a 12-seater jet from Farnborough to Strasbourg (on a windy day!)

Although my Dad was a great DIY-er and woodworker, he didn't go very far with balsa gliders or RC. I dabbled briefly 5 years ago but my Junior 60 got started and then put into a cupboard. It stayed there until a year ago when I found that I had more time on my hands. Having always loved building things during my childhood (Lego and Meccano) it seemed natural to have a proper go at building . Since then I've completed the J60 (but not flown it) and got over 3/4 of the way through the building of a Barnstormer.

Not having got seduced by IC, the ease and cleanliness of electric has drawn me to the dark side.

Now I've (nearly) got two basic builds under my belt and the usual desire to build some 'proper' models (read Spitfire, Mosquito, Lancaster etc), the Chippie project sounded good. It'll be beyond my current skill-set but that's what I want. I can learn as I go and there will be plenty of expertise and guidance here. What a great opportunity!

Living not far from Newquay and the Classic Air Force museum, their Chippie seemed an appropriate subject. It's mainly black, which will make it a little cheaper to paint/cover (I hope) but there's still plenty of detail that will be visible. I visited the plan last week and the guys there were kind enough to let me get up close with my official photographer (my wife) so we've got plenty of detailed shots. It won't be difficult to get more if needed either.

The hinge set, canopy, cowl, plan and wood pack are already waiting. I may already have a suitable motor and ESC so all I need are the 101 other things that seem to be needed to make this beastie a proper scale model.

Roll on October 1st.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/08/2014 21:43:24

Obviously I was coming from a theoretical standpoint John.wink

Heaven knows what I'd have done if I'd tried to get the Junior 60 going with a 4-stroke engine! Mr. 'Oops, I seemed to have blown up my workshop' perhaps?

Here's what's underneath:

13778065194_ced3d37aa0_b.jpg

I hope that helps?

Edited By Nigel Day on 11/08/2014 19:34:52

Nigel. I don't think you will be the only "newbie" to scale modelling on this build. I'm not far behind you ! I'm going down the Airsail route, so it should be interesting (same size and shape, but different).

Message to mods. Is there any chance we could have a single place for us to download photos of the real aircraft, so that we can all have easy access during the build without having to refer to each others albums ? Just a picture library rather than a thread. It would probably lead to less duplication online and not clutter the build threads up as much. Then we could all refer to the same photos in our build logs. Thanks.

smiley

Posted by kevin b on 11/08/2014 21:25:33:

Message to mods. Is there any chance we could have a single place for us to download photos of the real aircraft, so that we can all have easy access during the build without having to refer to each others albums ?

There is already a thread as you describe, Kevin - it just needs to be used!teeth 2

I'll make it a sticky so it's easily found...thumbs up

Pete

Posted by Glenn Stratton on 11/08/2014 22:51:43:

Found it Kevin B, and anyone else that has else has forgotten about it or hasn't seen it! teeth 2 In Chip Shop, page 5, Chris Bott-Moderator, posted at 15.53 a piccy that you click on that takes you to a 'library' page of the full size. And I see it has been added to. thumbs up

You mean this album Glenn, thanks for pointing that out again.

I've set it up so others can contribute to it too.

I've added a sticky thread to the Chip Shop area, purely as a pointer to the album.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/08/2014 07:54:18

Thanks Martyn. I might go slightly 'off-scale' and put a marking underneath - but it doesn't have the registration letters on the top of the wing so that might be enough.

Besides, heresy I know, but I doubt that I'll be doing many aerobatics with it. blush

Edited By Nigel Day on 12/08/2014 10:29:43

Edited By Nigel Day on 12/08/2014 10:30:02

• 5 weeks later...

I'm treating this as an introduction to scale R/C so I won't make a faithful reproduction but I would like to have a go at most areas in some form or another. There have already been a lot of useful posts with various ways of approaching different bits of the detailing and I'm following most/all of the individual build blogs already.

An order for wood (mainly 3/32", 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" (soft, medium and hard) will be going in soon plus other bits as identified. I don't yet know what linkages and servos will be needed and I'm certain that there's other areas and items I haven't thought of yet.

Roll on the 1st Oct. smiley

Hi Nigel, I put my order in to slec on Tuesday night and it arrived today, so no panic. Good stuff too, like you soft 3/32 & 1/8 and medium 1/16 sheets. I also got some piano wire and beach for the undercarriage rails to spread the postage. So I think with what's in the cnc pack, that's more than enough to get stated. I just need to sort out a bigger building board.

Nev.

When you said that you lived a mile from the museum John, I thought you meant Yeovilton.

You've fooled me by (usually) talking sense. Most Yorkies I know talk out of their bottom. cheeky

Thanks for the reminder Nev, I noticed that I'll need a bigger board too. I know SLEC are pretty good but I'm not taking any chances so my order will be going in this week. Haven't done it before as I'm on hols in Shropshire and Wales for the next week and a half.