This Chip-monk will be praying for help

Nigel Day

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 26/10/2014 20:59:22:

I don't think Nigel is wrong to ask John, one of us that has now tackled the wing may have a thought of how better to have tackled it. You kind of have to go through it to think "why didn't I do that?" So far I haven't had an epiphany, just a sense of relief that I survived the Chippy wing. Perhaps we should do a t-shirt.... "I survived a Bryant Chippy wing!"

Cheers

Danny

Nor do I Danny, Nigel nor anyone else will stop thinking for themselves because of a comment I make.

Question for me is, where is the logic in not building this in three sections ? same result and much simpler to achieve a true wing. Replace R1 with an 1/8 rib and build dihedral angle in.

My tea shirt will have to read "I altered one"devil

John

Thanks John.

I'm not sure that I've ever thought for myself so it might be a first!smiley

I'll build both halves, minus the inner rib, and then take it from there. As I go, I'll be re-reading the plan and the various build blogs and I'm sure that a cunning plan (surprise) will present itself.

After much umming and ahhing, I've finally started the right wing.

I've decided to have a go at building the right and left halves/sections and then building the centre section between them on the building board. Luckily my 'workroom' (aka my office) has a couple of wide desks and one should hold the whole wing just about.

I decided to forego the rib tabs/jigs and go for one big jig. Going from the plans (is that a good thing with this one? frown) I measured a 3mm gap between the bottom end of rib 18 and the datum line and a 6mm gap for rib 2. I therefore cut one big piece of 1/8" balsa tapered from 3mm to 6mm.

20141030_180707.jpg

Seems to work well.

I then put 2 or three ribs in position using some wooden 'tumble' bricks as jigs and supports - checked with a square of course.

20141030_180615.jpg

They were glued and, after a couple of minutes, I moved onto the next 2/3.

20141030_180557.jpg

Before starting the rib gluing I'd marked the fore and aft of each with a mid point. This then lines up nicely with the centre line drawn down the pre-cut trailing edge and the tapered-cut 1/2 thickness leading edge.

Last job this evening was to glue the 1/2 l/e and the t/e in place.

Danny mentioned that the width of the cutouts on the ribs varies so that a 1/8 square strip doesn't fit properly. I've been having a bit of a 'mare with my SLEC tool on these strips AND quite a few of my rib cut-outs don't seem to be 1/8" in size or square.

I'm therefore opting to cut individual fillers/joiners for each rib. They'll be chamfered so that I don't introduce lots of potential weak/break points. I can't see that the 1/8" 'spars' are designed for strength, more for greater attachment for the thin ribs. Am I completely wrong here?

Padawan! Young jedi you have done really well, making the leap to that solution is excellent, you have been doing your homework. Really impressed!

The tapered 1/8 strip under the rib trailing edges is actually the way to do this, I should have seen it embarrassed

Lego blocks also make excellent squares, just don't let your kids see you nab em. Especially the Star Wars bits

Cheers

Danny

Hi Nigel in some ways i am glad i am waiting for my missing sheet's of ribs so i can see how other's are tackling the wing, and i like what your'e doing here, well done. i think i have a plan of how to do it in three sections too i.e. with a center and then the two wing half's similar to how the Tiger moth wing is put together, but i need a bit more thinking time and will be watching your method closely, thank's again

Thanks chaps.

The tumble bricks were 99p from a charity shop. There were over 30 in the box, all solid hardwood with sharp, true edges. Ideal!

Here's the starboard wing with ribs, t/e and first half of l/e.

20141031_150412.jpg

Now onto the fillets for the rib & t/e joins then sanding and sheeting.

Other wing completed to the same stage. I've part shaped the B formers and added Rib 1 to each half. Now I need to face the sanding of the ply former (B3?). I've made myself a nice long sanding block from a piece of wood I had handy. One side is 80 sanding sheet and the other 120 (I think). I may use this for the ply brace. I'll certainly use it for the sanding of the leading edge prior to sheeting. The wing tips also need to be planed and sanded to fit.

I've fitted a false leading edge (1/8" and will sheet to the edge of it then add the second half of the leading edge at the front. Before I do that though I want to dry fit all the braces etc so that I can see how the centre of the wing should be shaped. Then I can sheet the leading section of each wing whilst they're in halves. I'll also fit the flaps and servo linkages (if possible) before the big join.

I'm off to start the flaps and ailerons. I'll do these in one piece, as I think John did?

I'll be even quieter for a few days next week. Off to visit the Mother-in-Law from Tuesday to Saturday. sad Still, I've stocked up on R/C mags so I'll have a decent bit of reading while I'm there. I'll also have the wing build doc with me (updated) so I can plan ahead for the faffing around with flaps and ailerons.

She's in Morecambe so I hope I don't get a nosebleed going so far North. wink

Edited By Nigel Day on 09/11/2014 19:49:32

Posted by john stones 1 on 09/11/2014 23:04:55:

Been with Donny Rovers a few times to Morecombe, good day out and 3 points as well teeth 2

Jim Bowen was/is on board of directors there (bullseye) it's a smashing loverly super place wink

John

....".look what you could of won"......FA Cup?

Seemed like a nice place when I was there last time. Couldn't understand anyone of course. cheeky

Thanks for the warning about the warp factor Nev. I'll keep an eye on it.

Sorry Charles, I should have given you the credit it seems. Memory's going. blush

Edited By Nigel Day on 10/11/2014 08:21:08

• 2 weeks later...

Just to show that I HAVE finished the framework for both wings, and the ailerons and flaps, here's a pic.

20141119_201931.jpg

Now to fit the hinges, bellcranks and control rods before joining the two halves.

I'll be re-reading the various blogs to find out more about the fun and games you all had getting the flappy bits to fit. At least mine seem to be the right size so hopefully I won't need to redo them.

Hi Nigel that's how i did my wings and to join them i simply slid the ply dihedral brace parts into the wing carefully and fanny's your aunt, it's tight but that's a good fit for gluing, just make sure you have the same measurement at both wing tips, not like me 10mm difference and be careful not to crack the ribs, not easy as it's tight

Thanks guys.yes

I'm not moving as fast as I'd like - but then I'm a lazy old git. I am enjoying what we're doing very much and learning a great deal. I'm trying hard to both assimilate what others are doing AND to think for myself about the best way to do things.

Whilst I'm not going to be arrogant/stupid and plough on my way regardless, I know that most things can be undone/redone. So if I see a way to do something that looks as though it should work, or suits my style/experience better, I won't be afraid to try it. As I go along I'm trying to understand why certain approaches & techniques are used AND how I might do something with no forum experience or advice to hand.

So today/tomorrow it's fitting the hinges & horns and generally faffing around with all the bits around the ailerons and hinges. I've seen several 'gotchas' mentioned so I'm on the lookout for the various problems (sorry, opportunities and challenges) that will come up.

BTW, the 'clean' bench is because I have 2/3 of an old dining table that I share with my wife in our 'family room'. Not only is there not a lot of space (but enough to be able to spread a plan out almost fully) but I have SWMBO's beady eye to contend with making sure that I don't take up too much space. I don't have a workroom/workshop but I am fortunate enough to have a good-sized office upstairs that's becoming more of a workroom every day. smiley

I'm going to check the other blogs but I don't recall off-hand anyone mentioning the angle of the inboard hinge point on the flap.

If I put it where it looks as though it should go according to the plan (frown) then it sits along the end of R1 - but it's at an angle to the end rib and hinge point of the flap. It also seems to push the end of R1 out a bit too for it to fit through the shaped end of the t/e.

It looks as though the outer block in B3/B4 has an angle so I'm thinking that the hinge point could be fitted against this and partially embedded into the rib.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

When I line the flap and aileron up against the t/e with hinge points clamped in place, it looks as though the gap between the aileron and flap needs to be larger than the width of the joint hinge point - or else the end of the aileron doesn't line up with the end of the wing. All the other hinge points look fine this way - and the slots for the horn connections are perfect too.

Am I wrong here too?