This Chip-monk will be praying for help

Nigel Day

Thanks Cymaz! crying

I'm actually building this quicker than I built the Barnstormer. Using cyano helps, that's for sure. wink

It's been great fun and very instructive too. I'm learning new techniques and building principles all the time. It helps having a Jedi Master to follow. As long as I don't adopt all his OCD tendencies. smiley

Here's the nearly finished elevators (not joined of course) and the half sheeted tailplane.

20141021_195435.jpg

You can see that I've added a small gusset next to each of the ribs where the hinge will attach.

The tailplane turned out nice and straight, not a warp in sight.

20141022_182206.jpg

Now I need to finish the hinge 'sockets' in the elevators, add the end blocks and sand it all. Then I can join the elevators - when I've managed to purchase the Flair thingy that was mentioned by Danny I think.

Oh yes, and I need to add the shrouds here too. blush

Edited By Nigel Day on 22/10/2014 18:35:48

Thanks for the sentiments Danny but let's wait until I've butchered the wing(s) and built two different sized halves of the fuse eh? wink

It's so much easier following in more experienced footsteps and not having to work everything out from scratch. If (sorry, when) I can do that and/or follow a plan myself I'll consider myself competent. smiley

The boy nodded his understanding. "Can I ask you something?" The Jedi Master nodded. "What are midi-chlorians?"?
Wind whipped at Qui-Gon's long hair, blowing strands of it across his strong face. "Midi-chlorians are microscopic life-forms that reside within the cells of all living things and communicate with the Force."?
"They live inside of me?" the boy asked.?
"In your cells." Qui-Gon paused. "We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians."?
"Symbi-what?"?
"Symbionts. Life-forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. Our midi-chlorians continually speak to us, Annie, telling us the will of the Force."
"They do?"?
Qui-Gon cocked one eyebrow. "When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you."?
Anakin thought about it for a moment, then frowned. "I don't understand."?
Qui-Gon smiled, and his eyes were warm and secretive. "With time and training, Annie, you will

So there you have it. Well done Cymaz

Popped into Plymouth today for a bit of 'retail therapy'.

Apart from buying a load more small clamps, glues and even debonder (not needed yet, thankfully), my wife spotted these and bought me 10.

20141022_201405.jpg

That's a £1 coin next to one.

I can't see a use for them at the moment but I'm absolutely certain that I will in the near future. Must go back and buy some more!

She's a Poppet. heart

Thanks Danny. smiley

I remember the conversation but can't remember which one of the three later films it was. Didn't Annie have the highest level of MDC's that had ever been seen/measured?

I see myself as more Chewbacca than Anekin Skywalker - but with continued guidance there's no reason I can't become the first Wookie Jedi.cool

Just got a little bit of planing and sanding etc on the tailplane and fin/rudder then it's onto the wings.

I've done them separately in the past and then joined them on the board, building the middle section where there is one.

Any reason that this approach shouldn't work for the Chippie?

Nigel this plan is not very clear as to how to build the wing. I have built wings the way you suggest and that's fairly normal. Unfortunately I am unable to get inside Dennis's head and understand how to do the wing. The problem is that to build the wing centre section you need more than one rib. In fact you only have a nose rib. R1 is part of the wing not centre section. You have to consider the allignment of B1,2, and 3. The outer wing panels have no ribs to help allignment from R1 to R4 because of the very deep doublers.

The chamfers on B1 and 3 need to be very precise otherwise your trailing edge will not fit.

If you can think of a way to do it and keep it true go for it, I am sure others will be delighted to see a better way.

Good luck, may the force be with you

I don't think Nigel is wrong to ask John, one of us that has now tackled the wing may have a thought of how better to have tackled it. You kind of have to go through it to think "why didn't I do that?" So far I haven't had an epiphany, just a sense of relief that I survived the Chippy wing. Perhaps we should do a t-shirt.... "I survived a Bryant Chippy wing!"

Cheers

Danny