This Chip-monk will be praying for help

Nigel Day

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

I've not been completely idle but have forgotten to post updates.

20150210_165227.jpg

20150210_165308.jpg

20150210_165404.jpg

20150130_141342.jpg

The fuselage has been trimmed and sanded and the cockpit section cut out. Didn't need much filler. smiley

The fairings were fun, but I got there. They're neater and smoother than they look. A little filler and another sand and they look fine.

20150130_141443.jpg

20150130_141454.jpg

20150210_164321.jpg

20150210_164348.jpg

20150210_164408.jpg

There's a small difference in the levels between the wing and the fairing sections but a bit of 1/16th sanded should do the trick.

20150130_141411.jpg

I've built, shaped and sanded the tail bit too. All seems to fit nicely.

The mounting for the servos has been made so I just need to add the snakes, finalise how I'm going to control the rudder and then I can think of assembling the fuse halves, the tailplane and the fin.

I guess first though, I should cover them. I think that's where the glass cloth and ezecote/varnish etc. comes in. I'll read back over the bits where you guys have already done this and find out how to do it. Another new technique to learn. smiley

Any suggestions for the materials to use and good stockists? I may try the Ronseal varnish thing mentioned in another thread if there's precious little difference but a lot less cost.

Edited By Nigel Day on 10/02/2015 17:12:25

I've seen the first part of Danny's video on glassing and have read various threads and articles.

Danny uses glass cloth and resin. I've heard epoxy used too. I've also seen varnish/polyurathane paint recommended.

Are they all realistic options and what's the difference between them? I'm not looking to produce the mutt's nuts, just to try the glassing technique for my first time.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Hi Nigel the resin I use is Epoxy resin. You can also use polyester resin its smelly and goes off a bit too fast for me. The other products I am not familiar with. They all have their champions. Resin I am pretty sure is the toughest finish. Several excellent modellers use G4 Pond sealant to great effect. Try the various products on bits of 1/4 balsa sheet, see what you like
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/02/2015 20:21:10

Nice one Nigel, I thought when it had gone quiet I was catching up a bit but no chance. You've done a really good job.

I've made my battery box and fitted all the formers to the bottom half tonight so maybe a start on the planking tomorrow. Still a long way to go.

Nev.

PS. I've used glass cloth and Poly C before and it's very easy, Ronseal is probably just as good but will take quite a few coats to fill the weave. I'm Thinking of trying cloth and resin this time.

Edited By Nev on 10/02/2015 21:23:39

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done - and the glasscloth and varnish have arrived.

20150220_134556.jpg

20150220_134606.jpg

Snakes in place from the rear linkages. I'll be connecting the other end to the servos by a clevis and threaded connection. I've ordered some M2 threaded rod for this so it'll have the same, adjustable, connection at at the rudder and elevator end. Only just over £1 for 10cm so the three I've ordered will last me for another model or two.

20150220_134654.jpg

I'm going for a simple, fixed tailwheel so I've kept the rudder connection simple too. It's just a piece of 16swg wire bent to go along the bottom of the rudder (and sealed in with a 1/16th bit of balsa and bend to take the clevis pin. There's a little play so I'll need to reduce the size of the 'ring' neatly at the end somehow.

The fin and tailplane sit nicely on the fuse so when I've finalised the other bits on the fuse, the connection order and whether I will cover the fin and tailplane before assembly, I'll be ready to put it together.

Note to self - don't forget to fit the tailwheel BEFORE putting it all together. blush

Thanks Martyn.

Thanks John (T). Spotted the deliberate mistake eh? embarrassed

Thanks John (S). I could do better, but do I need to? 16swg wire is bendable with pliers - but only just. It's not going to be under great stress - is it? Surely it's no weaker than an ordinary (not silver) soldered joint?

(and I expect my Jedi master to be a little horrified too.....)

Edited By Nigel Day on 20/02/2015 16:00:25