A reminder to all

Pete B

Can I remind everyone that this forum exercises a low level of tolerance to bad language and the use of substitute characters to express 'strong feelings' smile

I've sent no fewer than five PM's to members this weekend after editing their posts, asking for their co-operation. I could understand it if they were all newbies but some have been here long enough to know what is, and what isn't, acceptable.

We keep the rules tight because this is a 'family-friendly' forum and letting some comments go unmoderated would soon open the flood-gates, make no mistake, so it is easier to set the bar low in everyone's interest. If you wouldn't say it to your granny, vicar or a youngster, please don't say it here.

The Code of Conduct is clear on the matter - and it also offers mods the option of deletion of a post, rather than an edit - which, frankly, would save a lot of our time. It also wastes the time you've spent composing your post, too.

We mods are reluctant to arbitrarily delete posts - but our patience is limited.

As I wrote to the PM recipients, your co-operation is appreciated, thanks....

Pete

Advert

You haven't met my granny wink

I think sometimes we forget ourselves and 'sink' (if that's the correct word) to the level of conversing/mickey taking at the patch. It's all to easy to do just that, but yes I'm afraid it's a very public forum and must be contributed to as such.

Notwithstanding it has a major modelling magazine associated with it, watched my many. I have been involved with others that allow such things and they were a nightmare to moderate. 

So, just as speeding fines pop up every now and then, we need to be reminded...

Edited By Stevo on 25/08/2014 17:57:28

Thanks, gents - there's no doubt you make the job very much easier than it might bethumbs up

Sorry if I've bored you, Matt - I do appreciate that not everyone can adjust their literary style to fit in here - but the forum's bigger than any individual, so we'll carry on doing it the way it is preferred by the majority.....wink 2

Pete

I'm one of the culprits and in my admittion it won't happen again. I have to admit that I did that stupid Ice Bucket challenge tonight and contributed to Macmillan Cancer Support and there was quite a bit of bad language spoken uncontrollably ......DUE to shock lol...

My fingers will behave

BEB, understand your job and stance but I've largely stopped posting here due to over zealous modding. I've moved to another site and you don't want to know the names they call this site and the mods, many users there moved specifically for a more liberal forum and I have several PM's supporting that view.

It's a tough job for sure but I've got over 20k posts across many forums for my 3 hobbies and this is the only placed I've been modded. A few weeks back I had a whole thread deleted without explanation. Too intrusive for me sad

If we accept that one of this forum's aims is to encourage youngsters to take up the hobby then we should presume they are visiting here and behave appropriately. If kids come to our flying sites we don't swear or talk inappropriately so neither should we here.

I know that sounds a bit old fashioned but better that than having parents concerned that our forum is not fit for their children.

Dear Pete, I agree and support your effort.Visiting of many forums in the English-speaking area, as far as allow to me my knowledge (ignorance ) of English . I think this is a wonderful, polite and smart place, that I can recommend to all  people by 7-77 years in my Country.Thanks to all moderators and most beloved Mr. David Ashby,who does his job with patience and and understanding.....as befits the great conductors.thumbs up

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/08/2014 10:30:23

In my case, I had a pop at myself for being a complete idiot, but used the dreaded number substitution blush

Yes the response was a wee bit heavy handed considering the mild word I inferred, but the infringement was mine nevertheless.

But in terms of moderation, in my line of work, I am moderated, by a QA process, and then the QA is moderated externally. It would be interesting to know what the process is on here, there must be an appeals process, surely?

Posted by Matt Jones on 26/08/2014 07:40:04:

BEB, understand your job and stance but I've largely stopped posting here due to over zealous modding. I've moved to another site and you don't want to know the names they call this site and the mods, many users there moved specifically for a more liberal forum and I have several PM's supporting that view.

It's a tough job for sure but I've got over 20k posts across many forums for my 3 hobbies and this is the only placed I've been modded. A few weeks back I had a whole thread deleted without explanation. Too intrusive for me sad

Matt - I think it was "Pete" you meant as I didn't post. But I do wholeheartedly endorse what Pete has said.

Re your thread - You have mentioned this three times now - and twice I have invited you to provide me with details, via a PM, so I could investigate. On both occasions you have failed to do so. So there isn't much I or any other Mod can do about that.

With respect to other forums and their language policies. Well its a wide world and each to their own and all that. We often suggest to those who do not find the language policy on here to their taste that they do indeed consider using other forums with a more "open" language policy. And that's fine, solves their problem and ours. But I would share with you the story of one forum - not this - that decided to have a completely open policy on language - adult content and all that. The policy didn't last very long! In a short time they found that they had to moderate what some people would post.

Any way Matt - if the grass looks greener elsewhere well that's fine. But Modelflying isn't about to change. It's a club in a way, and as such it has a few rules. By and large we believe that the membership like the rules as they are. If those rules don't suit - then don't join the club. Simply really.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/08/2014 10:51:15

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 26/08/2014 09:36:37:

If we accept that one of this forum's aims is to encourage youngsters to take up the hobby then we should presume they are visiting here and behave appropriately. If kids come to our flying sites we don't swear or talk inappropriately so neither should we here.

I know that sounds a bit old fashioned but better that than having parents concerned that our forum is not fit for their children.

It's not 'old fashioned' in the least. Just because certain individuals on TV these days seem to think it's funny to use bad language doesn't mean it's right. Very sadly, one of the clubs that I belong to had to warn members to watch their language whilst on the field.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/08/2014 10:45:40:
Posted by Matt Jones on 26/08/2014 07:40:04:

Matt - I think it was "Pete" you meant as I didn't post. But I do wholeheartedly endorse what Pete has said.

Re your thread - You have mentioned this three times now - and twice I have invited you to provide me with details, via a PM, so I could investigate. On both occasions you have failed to do so. So there isn't much I or any other Mod can do about that.

With respect to other forums and their language policies. Well its a wide world and each to their own and all that. We often suggest to those who do not find the language policy on here to their taste that they do indeed consider using other forums with a more "open" language policy. And that's fine, solves their problem and ours. But I would share with you the story of one forum - not this - that decided to have a completely open policy on language - adult content and all that. The policy didn't last very long! In a short time they found that they had to moderate what some people would post.

Any way Matt - if the grass looks greener elsewhere well that's fine. But Modelflying isn't about to change. It's a club in a way, and as such it has a few rules. By and large we believe that the membership like the rules as they are. If those rules don't suit - then don't join the club. Simply really.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/08/2014 10:51:15

Well said BEB, This forum for me is great and the advice is great. Its linked directly to the RCM&E so what more would you want lol.

Posted by Stevo on 26/08/2014 10:41:47:

In my case, I had a pop at myself for being a complete idiot, but used the dreaded number substitution blush

Yes the response was a wee bit heavy handed considering the mild word I inferred, but the infringement was mine nevertheless.

But in terms of moderation, in my line of work, I am moderated, by a QA process, and then the QA is moderated externally. It would be interesting to know what the process is on here, there must be an appeals process, surely?

We are always happy to answer a PM questioning why a particular action has been taken Steve. In practice clear infringements of the CoC are simply dealt with by one Mod. More marginal cases are usually discussed between us in the Mod chat room before a decision is made.

BEB

Posted by Prop Nut on 26/08/2014 10:33:50:

The problem, as always, is who censors the censor?

Edited By Prop Nut on 26/08/2014 10:37:33

Me, the buck stops here, it has to stop somewhere I guess although I trust Pete, Dave, Chris and Steve implicity.

The point I think many miss is that our policy is very easy to manage. There's no subjectivity required on the moderators behalf - we don't have to stop and think whether 'old Joe' is a good sort despite his poor language or other diversions. We don't have to worry whether the self-important troll or forum junkie is a 'big name' in the hobby.

It's a level playing field and everyone is treated the same - we simply issue Stage 1 warnings when folks can't use the forum properly followed by a Stage 2 suspension if they're really keen to waste our time. It's all very simple and benefits the vast, happy, model flying majority, of all ages.

Have you noticed there's never a problem when we talk about model flying wink 2

I should have added thanks for the supportive comments too, much appreciated.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/08/2014 11:27:47

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/08/2014 12:07:27

Sadly language continues to be a problem for us. It is well known among regular users of the forum that so-called "adult language" is not allowed on here. The vast majority of members support, respect and accept that position. But a minority do continue to use unacceptable language.

The CoC provides for such posts to be simply deleted without warning. But as we have said on many occasions we do not take deleting posts lightly. In the recent past we have tried being very lenient on this issue and have edited posts to remove or replace unacceptable words. But this does not seem to be having the desired effect of getting those who use inappropriate language to stop doing so.

So, we have decided that use of bad language will now automatically be a "Stage 1" disciplinary offence. A Stage 1 is the most minor of disciplinary sanctions and has no result other than to advance the user through the disciplinary process and so is felt by the moderating team to be a proportionate response. Although it must be borne in mind that any subsequent use of bad language after that would result in a Stage 2 penalty which carries with it the sanction of a period of suspension. For a full description of the disciplinary process see here.

We appreciate that all this has no bearing on the majority of members. But if you are someone who has in the past had posts edited for language, please think carefully from now on before using such terminology, it will not be met with the sort of leniency it has been in the past.

BEB - On behalf of the moderator team.