Do you stick to your TX maker's RXs?

Advert

I started with 35 MHz Futaba and always used dual conversion Futaba Rxs - had the occasional glitch in the same part of the sky at one field.

Then moved to 2.4 and went JR as Futaba were taking so long to launch their module Tx. Used the JR DSM2 system (Spektum of course) and had problems using Speky 5 and 6 ch Rxs but none with the 9 Ch JR nor 9 Ch Spekky.r

Now moved to JR DMSS and use exclusively JR Rxs. Have an 11 Ch, 2 x 8 Ch and 3 x 6 Ch Rxs. So far, they have been bullet proof. I particularly like the speed of connection when you first switch them on (less than a second) - much better than the 3.5 secs on the DSM2 system.

Peter absolutely bang on, same experience here, jr dsm2 had problems and lost models with the 5 and 6 channel rx, never had a problem with the old AR7000s and 9000s though and the problems always seemed to be in busy skies, since moving over to DMSS the link is rock solid and binding on switch on is rocket speed and if you ever simulate rx signal loss (turn tx off and on again) spektrum could take nearly 5 seconds to re-bind whereas the DMSS has re-bound before i have removed my finger off the switch, they might have been late comming to the 2.4gig party but by golly it is very well sorted

I always use Futaba rx with the FF7 still on 35mHz. I had an orange 2.4 transmitter given to me as a present and use it for the electric foam planes (fly in field behind the house). All my ic planes are on 35. Would have bought a Futaba 2.4 set but not willing to pay the price for the receivers. Would need 8/10 to change the fleet. Never had problems with glitches at the club.Only problem after 15 years was a crystal vibrated out of a rx in a delta at full throttle! No more delta

Wasn't sure how to vote on this one, voted sometimes, but I use a JR 9303 with a Spectrum 2.4 module and have a mix of JR and spektrum rx's are they one and the same ( or were they ) And now different or what? have not had any trouble with either brand and just recently used a couple of the orange clones in my small electric's and so far no trouble, fingers crossed I guessdont know

• 3 weeks later...

I had 35mHz Futaba Txs and a Hitec Eclipse 7 Tx on which I used Futaba, GWS and Micron Rxs with no problems but since I converted to 2.4 I have stuck with Hitec throughout.

Why? Well 2.4 systems are far more complex than just matching a frequency so matched Tx & Rx combinations makes sense. Furthermore I have not had any problems that I can attribute to the radio system and being the most important part of radio control I'm happy to stay with this combination.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 25/09/2014 17:52:45:

When I was using Spektrum in the early days DX7 then DX7s I started off using only Spektrun Rx`s. And never had an issue.

Then started to use Orange Rx`s and started to have issue`s!! That kind of knocked my confidence in Spektrum, more than likely without good reason.

I then saw the light and converted to Frsky. Only use Frsky Rx`s now.

So my answer is Yes and No!!

Kev

So you were a happy bunny with Spektrum before you added orange RX, then had problems and lost confidence in Spektrum? Totally illogical when the only thing that changed was the Orange RX.... Why didnt you loose confidence in Orange? - Sounds like a bit of Spekky bashing to me to be honest

I was happy with my Ford until I fitted cheap remoulds and skidded, so all Fords are rubbish......

No Multiplex clones out there to go with my 2.4 Cockpit SX as far as I can see, so I keep my Mpx receivers for "best".

I also have a Dx7 Tx, (yes - it was cheap) and both Spekkie AND Orange receivers, mostly for my "disposable" models, my earlier Orange receivers were fine, but some bought latterly have been problematical and been disposed of. As I find the odd 2nd hand Spektrum Rx on BMFA classifieds at the right price, these are gradually replacing the Oranges, so far none of the re-homed Spektrums have let me down in any way shape or form. Shame really, but on reflection, I probably was thinking that the clone situation was too good to last.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/10/2014 08:17:20:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 25/09/2014 17:52:45:

When I was using Spektrum in the early days DX7 then DX7s I started off using only Spektrun Rx`s. And never had an issue.

Then started to use Orange Rx`s and started to have issue`s!! That kind of knocked my confidence in Spektrum, more than likely without good reason.

I then saw the light and converted to Frsky. Only use Frsky Rx`s now.

So my answer is Yes and No!!

Kev

So you were a happy bunny with Spektrum before you added orange RX, then had problems and lost confidence in Spektrum? Totally illogical when the only thing that changed was the Orange RX.... Why didnt you loose confidence in Orange? - Sounds like a bit of Spekky bashing to me to be honest

I was happy with my Ford until I fitted cheap remoulds and skidded, so all Fords are rubbish......

I understand your point entirely.

Let me rephrase it.

I lost confidence in DSM2

And as I said "That kind of knocked my confidence in Spektrum, more than likely without good reason."

I was also at that time looking for a system that gave me more programming options and the Taranis fits the bill very nicely.

Kev

Posted by Tony Richardson on 16/10/2014 15:10:43:

I use a JR9303 with a Spektrum 2.4 module and use mostly Spektrum RX I do have a few Orange rx but so far have not had any problems, that said, I think over here in North America our transmitters put out a stronger signal than you are allowed in the UK, that may or may not be a factor with the orange gear. question

I don't know if there is any legal max signal strength between European and US Transmitters, I kinda doubt it as it would increase production costs to produce different versions, but then again I am not discounting it!

I personally think its more to do with Orange receivers using lower grade components and hence having more restricted operating threashold's especially on low voltage when fully loaded with servo's etc also the Orange RX seem to take a lot longer to regain signal lock on after a signal loss my (totally unscientific) test showed upto 3 seconds for Orange compared to sub 1 second for Spektrum RXs - not a huge issue if you are 200' up but if you are at low level......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use the Hitec Aurora 9 and generally use the Hitec receivers. But I do have an after market receiver, 8 channel that cost a fifth of what 7 channel Hitec receiver would cost. Does not have the telemetry feature so do not get the battery feed back (which I like very much). But money is money, and saving some of it is always worthwhile.

I am a confirmed Futaba flyer. But I must admit the Futaba receivers are somewhat expensive. However, the comparative cost of the receiver to one of the giant scale aircraft it is installed in is low and so I use genuine Futaba receivers in the big planes. The smaller, more disposable type of plane, I will use a clone receiver. I have caved and have a DX6 from Spectrum so that I can get some of the bind and fly type aircraft. This has lead me to buy some of the Orange stabilised receivers from HK. I have not had any problems with these at all over the last couple of years. I guess if they are going to fail they will fail early in their lives (or so an electronics expert has told me).

I answered sometimes to the poll for the above reasons.

Mark.

I always used to, but I bought a model that has 3 Frsky 8ch receivers in it , 2 were ganged together to give extra channels. I did intend swapping them out for my preference of Futaba, but since the seller was a good mate with reliable models I thought I'd give them a go. I copied the Tx settings from his to mine and bound the 3 Rx to my Tx.

I initially had issues in that each elevator servo would play up, weak power and bad centering, which is odd since each elevator is on a completely separate Rx and battery system. Everything else worked great, though I didn't try the ailerons as the outer wing panels were not on. I thought it was a long wiring issue, just before I started digging I tried the elevator servos straight into the Rx, with no extensions and it was the same. Tried a Futaba Rx and it was perfect. Getting a bit down, I phoned a friend who suggested rebinding. This seemed a bit of a long shot as the rest of the gear was working great, but nothing to lose I tried it and lo and behold it worked fine. Range check proved as good as, if not a bit better than the Futaba Rx. I've only flown the model once since but am itching to get it out again. I am still a bit sceptical, but I have range checked the living daylights out of them and they do seem to be great.

The beauty of these Rx is the ability to jump one off another and get 16 channels (I only need 14) but the Futaba equivalent costs £180 or so.

Ian.

To date I only use the FrSky receiver (with Turnigy 9XR, DJI module) and telemetry in my i.c glider because I feel safe at 1,200ft knowing it's not going to drop the signal.

And I only use Spectrum RX's with my DX6 as it controls my scale stuff, which I wouldn't like to lose simply by being a tight git & buying an Orange RX! surprise

I'd never stop kicking myself!