PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

Hi Phil I was well please and chuffed with the turn out of Tonkas on display, and all successful maiden flights just annoyed that I never managed to have mine finished on time but will be ready for the June event.

Nice to meet Pete and Steve in person, and find out the truth in the weight loss on his Tonka must have been all the micro balloons used must try that stuff some time. wink

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed a week or so OFF modelling since the first event 11th April which has done me good but with only 7 weeks to go now until the next event it was well time I finished off the MRCA and got cracking with the GR1 40 degree sweep version, which I think still needs ~40 hrs work to get it flight ready for 13th June.

finished and detailed 1.jpg

Having flown twice it's needed only a little adjustment on the radio set up, a little less movement on the ailerons and a bit more expo all round. I've added a few more details like walkways and key panel lines, the air intakes have been painted inside and a bit more detail around the engines has been added to emphasise the reverser buckets. If time allows I may still add a bit more prior to the next flight, but I really must focus on the swept wing version now...

finished and detail 2.jpg

7 weeks and counting...

finished and detailed 3.jpg

Matt and I got the opportunity to see the full-size up close lately so I took the model to meet its big, bad brother... purely by chance the a/c we inspected was the 40th Anniversary special paint - so I thought perfectly suited to round off this blog. The photos have been used here with permission.

40th 1.jpg

40th Anniversary Special Tail thumbs up and the PSS model prototype looking like a Dinky toy next to that huge fin.

40th 2.jpg

40th 3.jpg

1974 to 2014 - 40 years of the Tornado!! cake

Are those two people standing next to the Tornado actual pilots who have flow the full size all this time, or just plane spotters? Am thinking of taking the canopy off my Tornado and changing the livery of my pilots to check shirt and black jacket?

Should have resisted....thinking

Edited By Peter Garsden on 27/04/2015 09:04:02

• 1 month later...

yeah sorry Pete, I've been unable to get the second Tonka finished in time for this coming weekend - I did my best, including taking the wing on holiday with me last week to cover, and that IS now covered, as are the tailplanes, the fin is all sanded and detailed - but there is still too much work to do on the fuselage spine, cockpit and wing sleeves - so I'll be honest, I've already stood it down.

Instead of busting my gut this week on the run up Ill just ensure all my other models are fit to go and that any other prep work for the event is dealt with without any panic. The MRCA has been fully finished and detailed since the last event, so some progression at least...

The swept Tonka will be maidened on the Lleyn in August I'm sure.

• 3 months later...

Sorry Steve but no, the swept Tornado won't be finished for the Orme, things have moved on quite a bit from the last photo, but what limited modelling time Ive had this past few months I've dedicated to the 2016 mass build effort, drawing plans and building a prototype A4 which you should see test flown at the Orme instead.

I will get round to the swept Tonka...

and the A-10.

(Andy - no!)

Mach Loop was brill today, the Mirage 2000's were phenomenal - I still cant believe they were low level in Wales, unannounced!