PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

Is that a big Blue Steel Stand-Off Bomb for your Vulcan!?? wink

Will look forward to seeing how you go about making your foam Tornado Mark - looking good!!

A bit more progress to report in that I've blocked in the canopy edges between F2 and F3, added the cockpit 'bathtub' and started to fill in the nose cone with 1/2" balsa. The forward fuselage is fast approaching completion of the basic assembly...

noseblock3.jpg

I temporarily added F4 (below) which forms the air intake cross section at the front of the wing bay - it needed a little fettling to slide down over the doublers and flush behind F3, I was about to glue it in position when I realised I would need to plane and sand the 1/2" balsa on top of F3 flush with the fuselage sides first to aid shaping - so out came the razor plane.

f4 fitted.jpg

I've started to block in the nose section too, it's consuming quite a lot of 1/2" balsa up front but not too much to sand off to achieve the required shape - she's beginning to look like a GR1.

noseblock4.jpg

Yes chaps, I thought it was feeling a little underweight so I added the washers as ballast! devil

Rest easy, she's cleared for +7G and -3G now these are in place.

Danny, my dad picked the wing bolt blocks up from Tony Hills Models in Talke, near Stoke-on-Trent

**LINK**

I can't see them listed on the website but they definitely have them in stock. thumbs up

Well Uncle Phil I have been trying to resist the temptation to have yet another project but have given in
I am going to do a lost foam fuselage in fibreglass with a pair of your foam wings.
So I need contact details for the plan and your wing supplier. Can you oblige please Sir
Just hope I don't get divorced.
My P51D Mustang will just have to take a back seat

Well you'll be glad to know the consumption of 1/2" balsa sheet has finally drawn to a close!

noseblock5.jpg

and following a quick session with the razor plane she's starting to show her characteristic curves smiley - still plenty more to take off with the block and paper but other than sanding, with F4 now fitted ahead of the wing LE that's the forward fuselage effectively complete.

noseblock6.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 14/12/2014 15:59:30

Started to think about the rear fuselage construction. It's fairly simple, a pair of doubled 1/8th balsa fuselage sides set on 3 formers and sprung out at the front around F4 to form the air intakes.

rear fus 2.jpg

It houses the elevator servo and the all moving tail actuation on ply bearers - Andy shows the servo hard mounted to the rear of F7 - effectively building it in and leaving it inaccessible - I may elect to mount this further forward at the back of the wing bay if space allows.

rear fus 1.jpg

Before the 3D jigsaw can begin I need to cut out some more parts...

hehe Andy I know the feeling - best to start another part of the model if you can - I find that helps to keep the variation and interest going - then go back and finish the last 3rd after you've completed another job. Get some pilots painted - or make the mould for your canopy - a few hours sanding that will soon have you wishing you were cutting formers again I bet

Edited By Phil Cooke on 15/12/2014 15:35:24

Only thing I can move onto really are the wings....which require 6 templates to be cut to make them! The problem is all the builds are in this state now - they all require stuff to be scroll saw cut, sanded to shape and put in a parts bin. I'll get there I guess.

I was having a panic (OK not really a panic, just a worry) that the 2015 season would be here and I wouldn't have anything new to fly. Then I remembered the flippin great big Viggen sat there (unflown), a part finished F4 (unflown) and a Hunter (needs some sanding then finishing..but unflown). Should be OK at this rate till 2017!

Edited By Andy Meade on 15/12/2014 15:38:40