PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

Spent a bit of time in the garage this afternoon although most of it was sanding with little to show for it. I did get the rear top 3/8th sheet fitted to both fuselages, so that's the basic assembly finished now pending the spine and canopy, the fitting of the fin, tails and air intakes.

The top rear sheeting went on much simpler than the bottom as expected - the former shoulders are all perfectly co-planar in this region. The sheeting still needs sanding to length in the first photo having been rough sanded to the top and side profiles. Will look a lot more Tornado like once all the rads are sanded in...

rear top sheet 1.jpg

rear top sheet 2.jpg

I need to continue to build rear of F8 to fit the 2 engine exhausts at the right point too... the plan is not too specific in this respect, but I have some ideas which we'll no doubt cover later.

rear top sheet 3.jpg

Final shot shows the fin and air intake pinned into position for the camera... getting there slowly but still a lot to do, and only 9 weeks now until the first PSS event of the year!!

Advert

Thanks Mark... becoming more conscious of time (!) hence last night a very late nights modelling - painting 4 pilots and ejector seats until silly hours. Prior to that I did get some work done on the fins and the exhaust arrangement. Rez has very kindly modelled the complex exhaust nozzles and actuator in CAD for 3D printing, more on that soon.

To fit these accurately onto the model I need to build the fuselage rear from F8, forming effectively the thrust reverser bucket doors top and bottom - there's a big change in section and this will be created in 1/16th balsa - hence a coupe of guide formers are needed to aid the sheeting to conform to the shape required - and to mount the printed parts to. I found last night I needed to supply Rez a slight scale factor to get the width of his CAD model to match my fuselage build on width - 138.0mm between the elliptical fairings at the correct axial station.

exhausts 1.jpg

Still need to hollow out this former so when viewed from the rear the exhausts appear to have some depth to them, and mounted 13mm upstream of the rearmost part of the fus as shown the exhausts are positioned correctly front to back.

exhausts 2.jpg

Rez, many thanks for releasing the model files you've so skilfully created - I'm sure other Tonka builders will take advantage of the work you've done today with Sean at RealModelPilots and treat themselves a set of printed nozzles. They are going to look great!! thumbs up

I've built up the rear fuselage now to the former axially positioned for the nozzles. Before the curvaceous 3/32" sheeting could be added I created a little step on the rear of F8 using 1/8th balsa, like this on the top...

thrust buckets 1.jpg

and like this on the underside...

thrust buckets 2.jpg

These will act as a ridge onto which the sheeting could be glued.