PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

I agree they might be a little more draggy than they would if the blanked face was outermost - but only a little - there's still no where really for the air to go and once a little bit of flow is stagnated the rest will have to go around the edge just like it would if it was blunt faced. I'm no aerodynamicist, but at our speeds/pressures I'm sure this wont cause any problems.

As ever in PSS - time will tell. thumbs up

Advert

Air intakes finished tonight with the 3/8" balsa sheet on the bottom sanded to 2D profile and a 1/16th balsa veneer on the outer wall, the L/E face of which is chamfered in like the full size. Once attached to the fus they will receive a radius on the 2 bottom corners.

intake lip 5.jpg

Couldn't resist a dry fit cheeky

intake lip 6.jpg

Thanks Mark, I'm chuffed with how they look and fit, I'm not so keen on the prospect of covering them though the internal faces are going to be challenging whatever I use, film or tissue. Can't stick these on yet I need to make the splitter and finally sand the fuselage to profile before they are glued in place.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 22/01/2015 23:49:43

I have been puzzling as to where the edge of my side fuselage profile should be for my cardboard template. I couldn't work out, where the edge should be under the wing, and then at the edge of the jet tube. I just couldn't work out why there were cuts to the balsa which were sealed up.

Thanks to Phil's great photos earlier in this blog, I have sussed it, so big thank you. Sorted now. I have marked up the plan with little arrows ready for tracing the outlines onto cardboard with carbon paper.

Think I can finally make a start.

I have been puzzling as to where the edge of my side fuselage profile should be for my cardboard template. I couldn't work out, where the edge should be under the wing, and then at the edge of the jet tube. I just couldn't work out why there were cuts to the balsa which were sealed up.

Thanks to Phil's great photos earlier in this blog, I have sussed it, so big thank you. Sorted now. I have marked up the plan with little arrows ready for tracing the outlines onto cardboard with carbon paper.

Think I can finally make a start.

I've cut the 2 intake splitter fairings from 5mm balsa altering the shape a little from the plan to give a better blend to the underside of the main intake fairing, as per the full size.

intake splitter 1.jpg

These will be glued in position once I have covered the curved edges and the fuselage wall 'behind' where the air intake will sit.

intake splitter 2.jpg

A dry fit with the splitter fairings in place - flush with the top and bottom fuselage surfaces.

intake splitter 3.jpg

And from the underside - the shadows in the air intakes show the benefit of the offset blanking faces nerd

intake splitter 4.jpg

Eagle eyed Monz!! Nothing special to report on the Diall C/A - truth be told it's only a stand in from B&Q since I ran out of my preferred ZAP Thin CA last week, my local model shop has closed down and I've not got a requirement to justify a mail order at present...

It appeared runny in B&Q when I bought it, but having used it now its a 'runny medium' at best, and doesn't wick easily like I was hoping. Also the nozzle is designed not to accept a zap end fitting and capillary tube so my ability to apply it where you need it is currently 'down the pan'.

Hi Phil, coming along very nicely you could use them as classic book endswink 2 you will have a comparison with my intakes as they will be fully open purely for the fan.

Still to make a start on mine I'am bit under the weather with a heavy cold and as the tempetures up here have been Baltic so have told no working in the attic by one who knows best.

Thanks for putting up the link for colour schemes gives me a fair choice so there should be no copycats.

Got the rear underside sheeting all done today, although before I could fit that, I remembered to make up and fit the elevator pushrod whilst I still had half decent access. I elected to rotate the elevator horn to the top side, giving a better clearance in the fus top to bottom, and sized the pushrod to suit a standard sized servo mounted flat just ahead of F6 in the wing bay.

I've gone for a decent SAVOX SC0252MG servo for the elevator, this gives a 10kg pull on a 6V Rx battery and will be plenty 'man enough' to manage this large AMT.

ele servo.jpg

ele servo 2.jpg

There's no adjustment at the elevator end, that M2 clevis is fixed, the ball connector is on a threaded rod up front if I need any fine mechanical adjustment beyond the servo arms capability.

So onto the rear 1/8th sheeting. Despite me using soft balsa I still needed to soak the panel in ammonia to enable it to form the complex double curvature required - I glued it firm with epoxy at the front where it is flat then used medium cyano and kicker to bond the skin to the formers concave form. A bit of a 3-handed wrestle but it's in place and conforming.

rear sheet 1.jpg

rear sheet 2.jpg

This forms the curves between the twin RB199 engines nicely on the underside. I now need to sand the top and bottom sheeting to the angles of the former chamfers, to enable the four 3/8" soft balsa shoulders to be glued in place. This will then effectively complete the basic fuselage assembly.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/02/2015 20:23:53

Not a great post, but I've struggled to add the 3/8" corner sheeting on the underside exactly as per the plan - having angled the fuselage sides and bottom sheeting to allow the sheeting to sit flat on the formers shoulders, it wouldn't bend and twist to sit flat on the bottom of F6 as I think the plan suggests (I could be misreading the plan!)

Anyway, only a slight deviation, I added 3/8" sheet between F7 and F8 as drawn, then 'block filled' the cavity between F6 and F7 with 3/4" soft balsa, dropped into the fuz by a good 1/2" and left proud ready for the razor plane and sanding block.

The top side corner sheeting is simpler as formers F6, F7 and F8 all have co-planar shoulder chamfers so a single piece of sheeting will sit nicely with no fuss or working required. thumbs up

FYI, I seem to remember that I used a Hitec HS-205 elevator servo on the original, it didn't have very much torque at all (~2 kg-cm?) but I never had a problem with it - the stabiliser pivot point appears to be pretty close to optimum.

Also - on my plan, anyway - the top and bottom 3/8" corner sheeting is all flat, all the rear formers show the same angle. Does the sheet just butt up against the back edge of F6?...

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 03/02/2015 12:57:14

Thanks Andy - maybe I have misinterpreted the plan here looking at F6 - maybe the angled 3/8" sheet IS supposed to butt joint up against the back of the former but I'm still left confused by the plan F6 assembly view in that case...there appears to be a rectangular stock (hatched) that engages with the former and the fuselage side that just doesn't appear on my build at all?

Here's F7 showing clearly the angled 3/8" shoulders on the left - you can see how you have to sand the fuselage sides and top/bottom sheeting to suit that chamfer angle...

f7.jpg

And here's F6 - the same chamfer angle on the top - ok - but looking at it again now as I type you can see the fuselage sides at this section (bottom left) ARE NOT sanded with the shoulder angle - so that sanding must in fact end immediately rearward of F-6 - ok that begins to make a bit more sense now... embarrassed

f6.jpg

Here's my build showing the angled 3/8" sheet as the plan intended running between F7 and F8 - forward of that I've just dropped a block of 3/4" balsa in up against a fuselage side wall extension - once sanded the end result will be the same of course on the outside at least, but I've made the build more complicated unnecessarily.

rear sheet 3.jpg

Well, as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect... So having learnt my lesson on the first one, I'll attempt to build this part on the second one exactly as the designer intended. Here we go again...secret secret devil

rear sheet 4.jpg

TWO!!! WOW!! Will they both be ready for the Orme?? We can get some formation flying in!!! -......do you remember typing the same last summer?

Hey Phil building two at the same time is my trick, anyway excellent Phil, are they going to be the same mark? (so did use that other AMT rod on the strength test in the second build)

Hiya Mark - Yes! I remember writing those very words on your EPP Vulcan thread a while back!

Two Tornados, yes indeed - it's a bit silly really, I know - the second one was going to be a secret reveal in April but I've had my cover blown so I thought I'd go public and explain why the build rate on here has been slower than you'd probably expect! wink

I started out with the 2 wing sets of different sweeps and my aim was to have a single fus with interchangeable wings finished in an early RAF GR1 scheme. I'll still finish the model with the swept wing in these RAF colours, and I've set my heart on finishing the forward swept airframe as the 2nd prototype MRCA flown from Warton, there's a few differences in tailplane, intake and fin design that I can model to differentiate between the two a bit later on.

I must admit having studied the plan I thought the fus was going to be a simpler, quicker build than it has actually turned out to be, and with such pressure on time I must admit there have been moments when I wish I hadn't started the second one now - but they're nearly done - they are both at the same state of play, I've been doubling up on each stage of the build for weeks now - In fact I've had to be careful with the camera for the blog, ensuring I always photograph the same fus and that the other one is out of shot... I can relax now.

As a comparator, I'll finish the red and white prototype model in film and trim, whilst the RAF GR1 will be tissue/dope and spray painted. Will be interesting to see the delta in weight gain at that stage.

Oh and my second attempt at fitting the 3/8" shoulders on the bottom still didn't go to plan - I found it impossible to sand the fuselage sides to the required straight line without taking out an excessive amount of fuselage side as it approached F6 - due to the curved underside in profile. I ended up going the same route as the first attempt - adding the 3/8" sheet between F7 and F8 no problem, that's all co-planar there - then filling in the gap between F7 and F6 with a tailored block of 3/4" soft balsa.

Andy C - if you're reading this - when you get to this part in your Tornado blog you'll have to show me how this bits done, I cant seem to replicate what the plan is suggesting.

Oh Cookie what a dark horse you are. What I want to know is how your cover was blown because you had me fooledwith all that "my wife won't let me do any building and I am just so slow at it behind all you lads" - see honesty is always the best policy son! I will hear your confession in June.

I must admit that the fuselage build is more complicated than I would have realised from looking at the plan. I am really glad you went first.

As I am also doing the prototype finish we can fly in convoy! The only difference will be that mine will be fibreglass and yours balsa. I will be very interested to see how the weights compare if I am much more careful with weight of resin this time.

I spent the day with Matt 'Poirot ' Jones last Friday when we met up for a days spotting with the cameras at RAF Lakenheath... it was my pesky pilots that gave it away ultimately - Matt knew I had bought 4 in total and he knew I was up to no good behind closed garage doors...

On Friday whilst waiting for the jets to return to base, Matt delivered a 'ruthless and relentless' interrogation which broke me to the point where I had to confess... wink

Hi Phil sorry this section is giving you so much grief, but it's twenty years since I last built a Tornado and until someone points out a problem I assume there builds have gone okay.

So I have started a build on the F3 version which is the the same as yours other than the changes you have made to suit the GR1 version.

I have made some slight changes that make aligning the front and rear fuselages easier to keep true on the build,but have not reached the section that is causing you so much painface 16, I will show these when I start my blog on GR1 version which will be in foam and balsa for EDF/PSS.

Thanks Andy, I'll look forward to seeing how it's done. I've blocked that section in all ok now here, on both fuselages, and they've sanded up a treat, so we move on...

You must be a very proud man right now seeing all these Tornados being built from your plans in parallel... I can't wait to get them all together in April, that should make a belting photograph!!! laugh

Had a little break from the balsa bashing last night and instead started to put some paint on the little pilots and seats I'd bought previously from RMP.

I've found a few decent pictures of the Mk10 ejection seat to aid the painting - I thought I'd attach here to help anyone else add detail as they wish to the office furniture. All photos credited.

mk10 1.jpg

mk10 2.jpg

mk10 3.jpg