1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 03/04/2016 22:20:08:

Lovely work old chap. So..what was the reason for all the inspection holes? ( if that's not a dumb question ). Hinge maintenance etc?

Yup - From where they are located it seems they allow you to inspect/maintain hinges, compression struts etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jez,

I just discovered your excellent build thread. Your craftsmanship is truly outstanding. The Classic Scale Kit provides a real replica of the full scale Tiger Moth. Do you know on which 3-view drawings the kit is based?

The reason I ask is that I am unaware of any really accurate 3-view drawings of the Tiger Moth. I have used modified Cox 3-views my self in scale competition (modified by me, mainly in the shape of the cowl and in the LE slat housings.) I would attach my 3-views if I could work out how to do so in this post.

Many years ago I built a 30% Tiger Moth based on my 3-views. Although I did well in competition, the level of detail is no where near that of your model. I am currently designing a 1/3 scale version, with a lot more fidelity to scale, including fully functioning landing gear. Your thread is providing me with a lot of valuable information as well as inspiration. Fabulous effort!

I have attempted to embed a video of my Tiger Moth. Cheers, Gary Allen

• 5 months later...
Gordon while Mick does supply the inspection patches I suggest making the rings on your own. Some suitable card stock or even styrene of you wish to and a circle cutter like the Olfa ones will serve well. Get the patches first and then size your rings to suit. I think my album has pictures of the ones I made for my 1/4 scale Tiggy

Gordon ..It had been awhile since I posted, but I hadn't looked at the date of Jez' last post..Hopefully he will be posting soon.

Manish...thanks for the heads up on the inspection patches...I will get in touch with Mick...and will also look at your album...How is your Falcon Tiger coming ...I reached out to see if I could get one, but it looks like they are out of production....

Heyuuup jezzer

could you do this mate a favour, can you tell me how the cowl (top) is attached to the framework eg longerons etc on your drgs, I need to remove the one on this original, its a little loose and I need to replace/fix whatever is loosening, and I cant just see where the fixings, are so a good idea of where to look would help and avoid the hammer and chisel I have on me bench!!!

cheers

chris

Jez - Good to see that you're back on the case. Many U/C parts are missing, but I'm mostly managing with the help of your photos in this thread and a bit of guesswork. All the parts for the spring struts were absent and any dimensions for the ends/forks would be very useful. I'm also struggling to find suitable springs - I have some which might 'do', but won't know for sure until the model is almost complete, though they won't be the 2-stage type of the originals.

Chris - it would seem there are several variations of the cowling, so you really need to look inside to see what's holding yours on - have you tried using a dental mirror and a torch?