Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth

Manish,

Yes, I forgot to mention the hand grips, these were milled out from solid aluminium block. Machined a recess around the backside to create the mounting flange, then put it into the mill the other way around and cut out the hand slot with a ball end mill. Here is a close up photo. I did not take any before they were glued in.

The rods on the controls are just styrene.

dsc05132.jpg

Advert

Manish,

I hope you have calibrated the spring so that it is accurate.

For this sort of thing I have laser printed onto adhesive vinyl previously. I have bought the sheets of printable self adhesive vinyl sheets from ebay.

• 4 weeks later...

Peter

I managed to hook up my ailerons closed loop and run into a problem. While I am getting the desired throw on either side, the aileron do not return to neutral. I have tried the following

1. Tightening and loosening the cables to vary the tension and see if it works

2. Loosening the idler bar to ensure that it is not binding

But despite these there was no improvement. Could you take a look a the video and see if you can spot that is causing the issue

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 19/06/2017 11:57:25

Manish,

I am with engine doctor on this one, the servo may not be centering properly. Is there any slop in the connection from servo arm to the crank, is the crank pivot sticky or very loose, is the crank in perfect alignment with the servo output arm. Is the crank pivot in line with the axis of the servo output arm. Is the position of the servo output to the crank sufficiently far from the pivot to get a full range of movement on the servo output arm. Finally, I am not sure that the servo is robust enough, it claims high torque, but it is still a mini servo the plane was designed to have one of these for each wing. Now you have one servo for both wings plus a complex multi stage scale rendition. I will check my servo specs.

My aileron servo is a Hitec HS-7955TG and running on 6.0V as my plane is set up for produces up to 333oz.in. of torque. I have also set the crank and output arm geometry to give maximum servo arm rotation which maximises leverage and minimises servo torque.

Posted by PeterF on 23/05/2016 22:04:36:

Here is a video of the ailerons all working very nicely if I may say so myself. The down going action is pretty close to full scale I believe, perhaps it does not quite return to neutral, but I can live with that. To try and make it return to neutral would require me to strip down th gear boxes and change the flats filed onto the shafts, and I am not planning on doing that now everything is so good. The up going movement is 2.5" which is 25% of full scale and the down going is about 3/4", which again is scale.

Peter

I see that even your ailerons do not return to neutral, what do you think is the cause? And if you do not fix that, will it not affect the flying?

• 4 months later...

5 months since I last put some time into the Moth, partly due to work commitments and holidays and more recently a downturn at work and the offer of an early retirement package. I now have more time to put into getting this plane finished. To make a start I have covered the tail plane, elevators, fin and rudder.

I am covering with natural Solartex and that has gone on well. For the rib stitching I have used the products from "Scale Rib Stitch" of Canada (Click). This is a very thin and sticky tape with thread attached at intervals to the glued side. I have tapes with the threads at 1/2" and 3/4" spacing at 1/4 scale for 2" and 3" stitching pitch at full scale. The tapes are about 2" wide and you slit them down to the width you need, tease the backing layer off and glue them down over the ribs. A thin coating of ClearCoat is then applied to make sure that everything adheres well on the next step. For the tapes I am using Mick Reeves Models laser cut tapes (click) of the correct number of pinks per inch cut from natural Solartex. These get ironed down over the stitching and the ClearCoat holds everything together. The sheets of pinked tapes come with some wider tapes for finishing the circumference of the components.

Scale Rib Stitch tapesdsc05405.jpg

Mick Reeves Models pinked tapesdsc05410.jpg

Rib Stitching added plus ClearCoatdsc05414.jpg

Pinked tape added to ribsdsc05416.jpg

Close up of completed rib coveringdsc05417.jpg

Close up of edging tapedsc05423.jpg

Completed tail plane and elevatorsdsc05425.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter.

I've been watching your progress for some time on and off and seen lots of great idea's that I'll carry across into my 1/4 Stampe restoration. But I was wondering, do you have a link for where you got the U/C from on your TM? I found the site 'falcon-aviation' but could not find the U/C nor the TM kit for that matter.

Regards,

prop

Edited By propogandhi on 10/12/2017 21:03:00

You might find a unicorn first...surprise. They have been off the shelves for several years. I managed to find one 3 years ago but had to supply my own springs. I may have the non scale drawings somewhere.

ECOMRC and Phoenix models did produce a Tiggy,, there may be u/c spares somewhere.

Edited By cymaz on 10/12/2017 22:19:55

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 11/12/2017 04:46:28:
CYMAZ ECOMRC U/c are just wires and the Phoenix one to me looks like a diseased variety. Hideous is the word.

I know, just clutching at straws. Otherwise, you could post on BMFA Facebook page or the UK-RC-Flyers for sale or wanted. Ken King of King Designs might help. Engineering apprentices at your local college might take it on as a project.

Edited By cymaz on 11/12/2017 06:29:19