Shuttleworth/Old Warden first timer

Phil Green

SWMBO has had an idea to take me to Old Warden as a birthday treat, which is a great idea - I've always wanted to go but never made it.

My main interest would be to see a flying display of the very earliest aircraft and the WW1 biplanes.

Looking at their schedule for the year, there are only the briefest of descriptions as to what happens on the day - the only event that actually mentions WW1 aircraft flying is the "Military Pageant With WW1 Commemoration Airshow" on Sun 5 July. Or maybe the finale "Shuttleworth uncovered"? or "Wings & Wheels"?

What do the regular OW visitors think please?

http://www.shuttleworth.org/whats-on/

Ta v much,
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 22/01/2015 12:57:59

Advert

Yes, I went to a Saturday evening event some years ago. There was only a light breeze but it was too much for them to fly the really old stuff. Still a great evening, though. Arrive late afternoon with a picnic, wander round the museum then watch the display. If they can fly the Edwardian aircraft, treat it as a bonus.

Now then you are in for a real treat here, pick any event, as has been said the evening displays are so good, I do have a personal reason for the recommendations of the following two events

**LINK**

with its WW1 theme

and for me THE best of all,

**LINK**

this event is unique in that aircraft taking part are not behind a fence but out in the paddock where you can walk around them, picnic amongst them and see them being prepped for flight,

Oh! my reasons Well as an added bonus the Dawn Patrol (to which I am privileged to be a member) have been invited to display, both statically and with some flying pre main show, especially the uncovered event where our models will be on open unfenced display alongside their 1;1 counterparts.

but whichever show you choose you wont be disappointed

chris

Fantastic place to watch aeroplanes Phil, in the past it felt like I lived there because I use to go so often. I filmed this video at Old Warden in Sept 2005. Enjoy. Wow my hits are 125,665, and I was just messing about.

Just to say also - I've received emails from veterans who had watched the video who worked on said Spitfire in the war. Polish guys etc.

I was there is May last year. I've been to a few airshows but Shuttleworth beats them all, The wonderful variety of aeroplanes and the close proximity to seeing them fly.

On the day that we were there - there was the biggest dark cloud ahead of us and bright sun behind us, the lighting was epic!