Field charging without torching your car

gangster

Advert

YepThat picture is exactly what I had in mind. Never seen the model in the car but the have seen the lipo sitting nect to the charger too often.

Wow that post certainly caused some excitement. And I should have added that I only use it for 3s and 4s and no more than 3amps

- The leads on my charger are long enough to place the charger on the ground.

- If you charge too many big batteries from a car, you could deplete the car battery enough that the car doesn't start, or even damage the battery because car batteries are not designed for deep discharging.

- Many cars have tie down points in the boot. At least my old Audi A3 does. Also, transporting some awkward objects, I might put the rear seat seatbelt through, or in front of, whatever the object is.

Posted by Dickw on 24/01/2015 11:56:44:

This thread is dying down a bit, so time to up the controversy with another photo devil

Two 4s 5000 lipos being charged from two 12v batteries - works just fine.

Dickcharging station.jpg

Edited By Dickw on 24/01/2015 12:14:25

No Lipo sacks whilst charging?

If one of those unattended batteries were to go off there would be very little chance of extinguishing the resultant fire.

Mark Wood's original Lipo Sacks work absolutely perectly, when the Lipo burns, and Mark will replace it with a new one if it is ever used in anger.

You;ve seen the videos of a lipo burning in an original Lipo Sack - like the one sitting in the back of Dick's car, on the left hand side there?

Can't vouch for the cheaper knock offs though.

I'm back to working out of my car, having worked from a set-up table for several years. When I used to work out of the back of the car it was pre-Lipo days, so I have had to modify my operation -using the Liposack for charging. Setting up away from the car for charging isn't really an option. - here's the main reason

That particular little feller just got bolder and bolder as the season went on. There's a new fence onsite now though, so they may not have access to the pits and I might look at a change in charging arrangments, once the ground dries up a bit. It'll be a few months before that happens though.

Posted by Phil Green on 24/01/2015 16:34:02:
Posted by john stones 1 on 24/01/2015 14:54:11:

Go nice with chips n mushrooms though.

'fraid I disagree John - completely tasteless, a horrible texture, indigestible and probably toxic.

Change your butcher Phildevil food did taste better when I wor a lad thoughwink

John

Sneaky teeth 2

Edited By john stones 1 on 24/01/2015 16:43:51

Posted by Andy48 on 23/01/2015 12:42:15:
Posted by Cuban8 on 23/01/2015 11:42:03:

Only potential problem with using the caravan socket or long extension leads, is the considerable voltage drop across them when charging at the higher currents taken by say six or eight cell packs.

Really? The permanent live connection is 10amps.

Do the sums. Allowing 5 metres of cable between the battery and charger, at 10amps the voltage drop is 1.25 volts. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I use a pair of extension cables...i have done a couple of times, i thot it was a good idea to get charger and batteries away from the car. Im i still ok to do this then?.... I charge 3&4s lipos at 1c when i can but may up to 2c in these colder times.....?

Posted by leccyflyer on 24/01/2015 13:19:39:
Posted by Dickw on 24/01/2015 11:56:44:

This thread is dying down a bit, so time to up the controversy with another photo devil

Two 4s 5000 lipos being charged from two 12v batteries - works just fine.

Dickcharging station.jpg

Edited By Dickw on 24/01/2015 12:14:25

No Lipo sacks whilst charging?

If one of those unattended batteries were to go off there would be very little chance of extinguishing the resultant fire.

I take all necessary safety precautions.

I don't park close downwind of Dick's car!

Very sensible Martin smiley!

Leccyflier

That photo was actually taken back in 2007. I have “improved” my charging setup a lot since then.

As well as getting new chargers with built in balancers I have a new kit box that has a 12v 30 ah LifePo4 built in so have got rid of one of the 12v lead acids.

I find that at my normal charge rates the 30Ah Life lasts longer than a 75Ah Leisure, and the Life is lighter so less weight to carry or to fly forward in a crash! (price is the downside)

The new kit box also has “heater compartments” for the Lipos, so they are now contained while charging yes.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 25/01/2015 09:54:26

Even the best vent gas - and it's the gas that combusts! I've seen many examples on You Tube where the fire is uncontained although the bag stays intact. An improvement to the design might be the incorporation of a fine mesh inner liner to act as a Davy Screen - perhaps something to suggest to your friend, Leccy?

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/01/2015 12:12:57

Posted by Cuban8 on 25/01/2015 10:57:40:

**LINK**

Are lipo sacks actually any good?.................expanding hot gas in an enclosed space...............bomb?

Got the BBQ going quickly thoughlaugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/01/2015 11:09:51

Lipo Sacks -the genuine ones - are excellent. They are not an enclosed space, they are vented. The sack contains the flames, and the gases escape out of the vent at the top of the sack. The videos in the link in my post show what happens.

Now, the original design has been copied and offered as budget versions manufactured n the Far East. I can't vouch for those and have read some reports that some of them are even flammable. I do have some, but I wouldn't trust them when charging.

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/01/2015 12:11:24:

Even the best vent gas - and it's the gas that combusts! I've seen many examples on You Tube where the fire is uncontained although the bag stays intact. An improvement to the design might be the incorporation of a fine mesh inner liner to act as a Davy Screen - perhaps something to suggest to your friend, Leccy?

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/01/2015 12:12:57

The gas is vented by design Martin. When Mark was developing the Lipo Sack one of the major items of discussion was in the build up of pressure - since folks were using sealed ammo cans as Lipo storage - and the Lipo Sack was envisaged to contain the flame front and not explode. The videos show the Lipo Sack expanding with ignition, and the gases, removed from that ignition source, venting vigorously out of the gap left in the corner of the flap.

The beauty of the Lipo Sack was that it was portable and lightweight and effective - the ceramic battery bunkers, and homemade devices of concrete breezeblocks with polythene bags of sand worked, but were not all that portable. For charging at the field they were a bit of a non-starter and, of course, charging at the field removes a very large part of the risk of severe consequences of lipo fires - as pointed out earlier, just letting the lipo burn it self out on the grass is another option.