Three-way

Tony Bennett

Advert

Tony'

The nose of the float needs to be half of the prop diameter in front of the prop. I have just looked at Lindsay Todd's discussion on his Mallard and there is a link there to quite a prolific 'boat designer who has a page dedicated to just that. Have a look at the images that are on view on the Grumman duck, This has a narrow hull as it has tip floats whereas the 'Icon A5' I mentioned previously has not but has a wide 'boat' hull to keep it upright I admit you have put sponsons on the model but I would guess you would need the bottom max width of the hull to be closer to that width.

• 2 months later...

I met up with Tony at Old Warden last Sunday, as most are aware he no longer is a member of a club and hasn't flown for over 12 months.

To cut a long story short the 3 way ended up coming home with me with a promise of getting it in the air with the possibility of some video footage to help a fellow designer out.

Being a man of my word I can confirm that it took to the air in all 3 configurations today in quite a breeze. I had to add a significant amount of church roof to get the CG somewhere near but it is still a light machine.

First flight was with the high wing version, just a few clicks of down trim was all that was needed. Nice and easy to fly but I am sure it will be quite aerobatic in the hands of someone who has the ability.

Second flight was in the low wing configuration, no trim changes at all flying basically the same as the high winged set up.

Third flight was as a biplane, it leapt up into the air with a little more down trim needed. It was noticed instantly that roll rate was marginal and I had to use a lot of rudder to turn to initiate a turn, it was quite a handful. I would suggest that larger ailerons on both wings would maybe suit the bipe version.

All in all it is a little cracker and was good to see one of Tony's models in the air, he is an inspiration to us all.

Here is the video, please bare in mind the camera was strapped to my transmitter so I was trying to point and fly.

Well done Tony!

• 1 year later...

it is about time i dug this out of the shed and got it flown again.

i did some revisions on the design and altered the fin and tailplane a tad to make them stronger.

i also altered the u/c mount to make it a little bit tougher.

i am not sure if i can add this bit (mods can remove if needs be) but the plan pack is available from Traplet plans now.

**LINK**

thank you for watching

Tony B

• 2 weeks later...

On an impulse I ordered the plan-pack. I've never built a Depron model and I've always wondered if any of my bi-planes would fly without the top wing but never dared try, so I thought might be an amusing and fairly quick build. It arrived today and I'm trying to square the contents to the drawings and the included build article.

Still thinking but it seems the wings are each in 2 pieces of 6mm Depron which I guess need to be joined at the root. There's no upper wing sheeting supplied but I guess it's 3mm Depron which I have in stock. As far as I can see there's no spare material to make the 6mm Depron/balsa laminated spars so it looks like I'll be making them out of doubled 3mm sheet. Balsa is no problem.

It looks like I'll be 'winging' the build The plan pack is certainly different from the build article. I'm also not sure how powerful the servos need to be.

hello

hmmmmm bit off about the plan pack, but i guess that have only offered a short kit, but why they left out the wing spars i do not know

upper wing skins are 3mm Depron and the wings do indeed need to be joined at the root using the ply braces come wing mount parts.

for servos i just used mini servos with a 3kg torque.

thank you

Tony B

Thanks, Tony. There are a few more shortages as well, but I'll get in touch with Traplet for those:

Depron: No 3mm upper wing sheeting and (as mentioned) no spare 6mm Depron to make the spars. Not a serious problem as I have a lot of 3mm Depron I bought years ago intending to have a go at Depron construction so I can overcome that fairly easily.

They only supplied 1 pair of dihedral brace and I assume both wings need them. In fact the CNC sheet 3D is labelled as 1 per pack. Again, not beyond my ability to make another pair but in 3mm birch ply as I don't keep much liteply. I only have 2mm which I bought to deck my Thames barge - another Traplet plan/wood pack with errors which were much, much more serious and resulted in my getting a full refund! Both plan and the CNC wood parts were wrong.

More difficult is sheet 3C which has the battery tray and F2 and F3. The formers need to be 6mm and it actually says to laminate in pairs but only one sheet is supplied. Obviously the battery tray is OK as it's only supposed to be 3mm

Note: I'm not criticising you, Tony. I'm writing this so that any other buyers of the plan pack are aware of potential difficulties. I'm sure this will fly in all its 3 guises thumbs up

Geoff