Wild Thing

Advert

Cheers, next problem is my servo install. Wanted to check movement before fixing only having no luck figuring out model type on my Spektrum. All the models have tails and can find no mention of Delta wing crying who would think this is harder to do than a 5 channel setup.

Thanks chaps, that Dx6i looks totally different. Found some elevons in the aircraft section on my Dx6, got them working and will set throws. Could find nothing in my sailplane section though. I'm now debating weather to fit an on / off switch or not.

Edited By trebor on 29/04/2015 07:24:37

Here's mine finished yesterday [and a 'Spike Special'... which I suspect yours is too! ]

img_1450.jpg

Went with a bit of velcro to hold the hatch shut, and decided to not use a switch.

img_1451.jpg

The only thing I would say is that the Yellow tape supplied was not very opaque, but hey ho its not for looking at is it?

Oh... and I got the tail supports round the wrong way didn't I? Doubt it will make any difference, but I will have to put up with being told all the time!

Edited By GrahamC on 29/04/2015 08:26:55

Tail supports = the bits of triangular stock.

The movement issue might be one of the joys of Spektrum. I've seen this back in the days of a DX6i and its to protect the servos from over movement. To do this it reduces individual throws when you have Elevon mixing switched on.

You might be able to get around it by setting up a mix of Aileron into Aileron. Start with 50% [50% Aileron mixed into Aileron] and change the figure until you have the throws you want. This fools the radio into increasing that component of movement. Works on a DX6i, don't know about new DX6.

Edited By GrahamC on 29/04/2015 10:54:04

I see you've kept the horns well inboard - I didnt and had to chop some fus away:

wt_horns.jpg

Wildies are fantastic models, more long-term fun than anything I've ever had. Part of this is that you will happily chuck it off anything, no risk of damage. Fast & aerobatic, yet with a light touch on the sticks it will stay up on a gnats f4rt.

Cheers
Phil

I have to say I'm not as impressed with this new shape of wing. My Thing is 3 years old and has the broader, more diamond shape wing, which seems to keep the model in the air better in lower wind speeds. A flying buddy has this new design and on Sunday when the wind was dying off between thermals, his Thing was dropping out of the sky like a brick, whereas mine kept flying.

I had some hazard tape I got cheap, thought it would suite my style of flying but had to take it off as the weight started to build up. Couldn't tell when I bought it how thick it is.

img_2111.jpg

Used the blue tape that came with the kit, it was allot better than HK stuff. That has coloured glue there`s not much chance of moving it once its touched as the colour comes off.

Just weighed mine as it feels heavy. 651g surprise What`s yours weigh ?? I still need more tape on too.

img_2112.jpg

Posted by trebor on 29/04/2015 19:19:19:

I had some hazard tape I got cheap, thought it would suite my style of flying but had to take it off as the weight started to build up. Couldn't tell when I bought it how thick it is.

I was going to use the same style hazard tape but, My fear was I think it shrinks in the sun and leaves glue marks everywhere, so have abandoned that

Bert