How much do you have invested in your current models and kit?

Just curious as a new flyer myself. I only fly a couple of Radians, but boy has the investment gone up over a year! From one RTF plane to 2, upgraded Tx's, telemetry kit, chargers, on board camera, spares etc. I reckon from my startup cost of £170, I think I probably have spent about £600 in total now. This is probably small fry though compared to some, I'm sure! The main thing is, the missus should never know the true cost!

Advert

I daren't estimate. My euphemistic 'investment' (not a word even my very tolerant wife might use) is probably a lot less than it was when I first invested. The cost is probably well into 4 figures but that's spread over 20+ years. We also have quite an investment in pedal cycles, too - our tandem cost nearly £3,000 alone but we get a lot of enjoyment from it which is priceless (a bit of suffering, too )

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 30/04/2015 12:58:13

You don't have to be 'in the money' or as they used to say loaded to spend far more money than SWMBO need ever have even a hint of! I hade a mad spell in 2013 and spent just under £4000. It was my money not affecting the family at all but you know how they are, 'you spent how much?' All the planes hang from the ceiling of my workshop, I haven't bought a new model or finished a project for some time as she knows what is hanging up! Shame really as there is another £2000 worth unfinished and semi hiding!

Much the same as Bob

I think that being a builder I possibly spend less because I am not interested in ARTFs and glitter so don't get the urge to buy lots of new shiny toys.

A decent build takes me about 6 months and costs about £250-£300 including second hand engines but (usually) new (budget) servos and receivers. I have only been back flying for 5 years so I would estimate that the intrinsic value of my shed is about £3000 in models, plus £500 is transmitters and idle radio gear plus about £500 is my collection of second hand engines.. Say £5k all in. Perhaps add another £500 in write offs - I don't get that many

However, it is worth a damn site more than that to me.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 30/04/2015 13:53:08

I suppose it's all relative to your financial status to a point, but still seeing how much you have invested in your kit shows your passion in the hobby. I am quite poor, so £600 for me in one year shows a very promising continuing interest in this great hobby.

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 30/04/2015 14:16:42

In todays society you work hard save hard for a happy reiterment then you fall ill because of this ethos then the government takes all your savings and your house off you all in the name to pay for your care. While some malingerer who's done nothing all their life apart from collecting their social cheque gets everything.

spend it, enjoy it, you work hard for it, you can't take it with you when you curl your toes up and go to meet your maker

Edited By Sam Wragg on 30/04/2015 15:34:21

**edited for language**

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/04/2015 17:35:53

Ever since I bought my first trainer I've invested in paints and balsa and depending on what colours I chose I can replicate warbirds, sports planes & semi scale stuff , I've managed around 20 remodels so far 😉

Sam Wragg ! I am sorry for everyone else but I agree with you totally, it's a shame we are not allowed to swear on this site but I can think of many words to use. I worked so hard all my life, now I am a little more than comfortable to say the least, but every model I have no matter how expensive I can afford and price is not really an issue....but I have never borrowed or stolen or whatever. Is it a nice feeling if everything you have was paid for by someone else? And I do dispute the word 'benefit' can anyone on this forum explain to be how you deserve this 'benefit' ?

My wife knows exactly what I spend, have not hidden anything, ever. Must be doing it wrong.

As regards amounts, well, I buy conservatively, am prepared to wait for the "must have's" to buy at full price and test the stuff for me, and so am usually able to find end of line or past their peak sale bargains in quality gear. As a result I have seven multi-memory 2.4 GHz Transmitters, inc a Taranis and a 10CG with max size CAMPAC memory card, and they are all full and used....................

And that does not include the small stuff that comes with their own TX, like Hubsan X4, Twister Quad, etc, etc, etc.

Posted by Steve T on 30/04/2015 17:55:16:

And I do dispute the word 'benefit' can anyone on this forum explain to be how you deserve this 'benefit' ?

Not on this thread, ta - start one in Chit-Chat if you must but I'll not guarantee its longevity.....wink 2

Pete

I'm not sure about the use of the word 'invested' in the thread title. Doesn't an investment expect to make a profitable return? smile o

Anyway, as a (paid) model designer, I need to keep all my receipts to offset against my tax bill, so I know that in the last financial year I've spent just over £1300 on my daft hobby.

tim