Traditional Wot 4 Mk3 Build - Suggestions Please

Scruffmeister

Just started the build of my Wot4 Mk3. I've not built one of these before nor am I an experience builder so please feel free to chip in.

I do have a few questions to get things started:

1) the instructions say the bulkhead (firewall) is in two pieces that need to be joined, but a single 1/8" part seems to have been supplied. Presumably this is a change since the instructions were last updated, but the real question ... - is 1/8" sufficient for the OS 81 FSa engine I will be fitting?

2) Has anyone got any info on mounting the elevator servo in the rear. This seems like a viable option with an engine at the heavier end of the scale?

Fuselage sides

Edited By Scruffmeister on 02/05/2015 20:44:37

Advert

Hi scruff,
I recently built one of these, and I'm also quite an inexperienced builder, so I'll hopefully be able to give you the beginners perspective. I can't advise about the firewall as I think mine came with a 1/4" one, and only has a 46 2st in it.
To get my engine to fit in the cowl I had to set the firewall back 1/2". With the battery just behind the firewall I didn't need any lead.
I made a carbon tube pushrod for the elevators, as the wood supplied was a bit flexible. Do you have to decide about the servo early, or could you see how it balances before covering then make a decision?
Rob

I recently built one of these as a first build and I have to say that I don't have a problem with the firewall, especially when you see how it all fits in. Just make sure you use plenty of epoxy both sides, when gluing it in... I fitted a 46 2 stroke, but have since flown (and slightly crashed it) numerous times, where the engine and firewall have taken the full impact and nothing has come loose. I wouldn't worry about it, just build it and enjoy!!

I think the instructions refer to the two light ply firewalls glued or laminated together on some earlier kits . If its apropper ply fire wall it will be OK. The kit used to use light ply for the U/C mounting , if your kit has that dump them and make them from proper birch ply. With heavier engines there was an option to set the firewall back ; this also helped to accommodate the rear carbs on four stroke engines without lengthening the nose.

Small thing, but the undercarriage plate is thinner than the prong nuts used to secure the glass fibre undercarriage version, and it needs a couple of eight lite ply washers glued in so the nuts secure properly. Don't worry about beefing it up, Mr Fosse has some competence as a designer. Use nylon bolts to secure the undercarriage, so the bolt breaks before the plate.

Thanks all, judging by the number of responses there is clearly lots of experience out there for this design as I'd expect!

I'm not committed to engine choice yet, so I'd be interested to know what would be your ideal currently available engine for the Wot4 I'm building and why? I'm looking for something that can do big loops, tall stall turns at around 3/4 throttle but doesn't have to be a speed daemon!

Edited By Scruffmeister on 03/05/2015 13:50:36

Sc 52.perfect ( although i did say it was a 53 earlier ). power is spot on and cheap, Personally I think your 81fs is too big and heavy. you know the next 10 answers are all going to be different...smiley.

An Irvine 53 with a 6 inch pitch prop on mine, performs as you describe Scruffmeister. Built with the firewall recessed 5 mm back from the front edge of the fuselage, every thing balances out, servos installed in the under wing bay,no lead. Closes loop used on the rudder. Tend to agree about 4 strokes in these being heavy. Remember the design is older that 4 stroke model engine technology. An ASP 75 powered example I once knew, had it servos on the tail. Ballistic performance. But it clapped its wings, albeit after severe provocation.

I'm starting to think an OS 46AX might be just the ticket. I had one of the ARTF Wot4s a while back with an OS 55AX and it was overpowered (although great fun!). My only concern is that the ARTF will probably come out lighter than a kit built Wotty due to foam wing so perhaps the 46AX could be underpowered on the one I'm now building!?

Edited By Scruffmeister on 03/05/2015 16:44:41

My Dad's one with a 30 year old fuselage and a very light wing now has a Saito FA62A four stroke. Sounds too small, but the engine has a very good power to weight ratio and it therefore flies brilliantly with loads of power. It has had many engines (2 and 4 stroke) and the Saito is the best.

CS

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 03/05/2015 17:00:52

• 1 year later...

Hi all I just wanted to resurrect this thread as I am soon starting to build a mk3 for my son and I , which I have just bought from Chris Foss. The shops don't seem to have the traditional kit in stock . I didn't want the ARTF with the front hatch for electric , plus I think I will build a much more durable model if it's anything like the kit Acrowot I built last year. There are a number of very experienced flyers on this site and their views would be appreciated. My first question concerns air brakes option. Has anyone had experience of these? Some of my larger planes have flaps and it sounds a fun thing to add some interest? Is it worth adding them or do you think it reduces aileron size and adds too much weight? We are powering it with an OS55ax and tuned pipe so want  it to be "fun". Opinions appreciated. ..Tim

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/10/2016 09:08:43