Taranis Software updates

Geoff S

While we're discussing Taranis updates, please consider this.

I've come into possesion of a Taranis X9D (not Plus) type B, together with a D4R-II receiver.

I've got it all up and running and I've updated to OpenTX v.2

However, this is where it all gets as little confusing!

I understand that there is a new EU firmware protocol for all current transmitters and receivers. I assume that OpenTX knows nothing of this as I can't find any reference to it on OpenTX.org.

So the question is this, if I buy an EU version X8R then, presumably, I need to install, from the FrSky website, the EU firmware v.1.8.1, which then moves away from any 'advantages' of OpenTX, and, the D4R-II receiver won't be compatible.

So as I see it, OpenTX and flash the receivers with non-EU firmware, or, EU firmware and EU receivers.

Your comments please!!

Thanks GDB

Incidentally, I had a nightmare trying to flash the transmitter (windows 7 and OpenTX). I kept getting an 'DFU util executable not found' error. Eventually found the answer on RCGroups, dfu-util.exe is either in:

On Windows: In the companion9x installation folder (by default C:\Program Files\companion9x\dfu-util.exe on 32-bit systems, and C:\Program Files (x86)\companion9x\dfu-util.exe on 64-bit systems).

On both my Companion 9x and OpenTX installations the path to dfu-util.exe was c:\users\ME\ so it couldn't be found. The remedy is to browse to the right path in OpenTX under 'Settings/Configure Communications' and in Companion 9X under 'Burn/Configure'

If anyone else is having problems this may help.

Advert

Geoff, I had the same issues with Companion last night but it was quite late & I've been busy with household chores plus gardening (brownie points now well into surplus) all day today so didn't start trying to suss out the problem until an hour ago. - Glad I spotted your post before taking any action smile it's saved me a bit of unnecessary grief.
Now updated to version 2.0.17 & problem solved. thumbs up

I'm in much the same postion as you regarding the RF firmware, I don't have any of the new firmware Rxs yet & several that would need upgrading are buried in models.
If the current weather forecast is accurate I might find time in the next few days to bring the Taranis & all the Rxs up to the new EU regs using Mike's firmware.

Thanks Chris, I think I see it now!

OpenTX passes the commands to the RF section, which then passes the message to the receiver.

So the system firmware is OpenTX, and the RF firmware is FrSky (EU or non-EU).

Just to clear up my confusion, if I update the RF firmware to EU are you saying that a non-EU 4 channel receiver (D4R-II) will still work?

Conversely, if I don't update the RF to EU, will it still work with an EU X8R receiver?

Sorry to ask these questions but I would like to be sure what I'm doing!

Thanks GDB

I'm in the same boat too - receivers buried in the depths of a couple of models that will need accessing to update.

I did update the tx and one receiver as an test earlier this year - and obviously then 'downgraded' back to the original firmware. I'll repeat one thing I found when doing that, in case anybody has the same issues;

After upgrading both tx and rx firmware I didn't initially rebind the rx. I found that it worked, but with a lot of 'jittering'. Rebinding cured this. I found exactly the same when reverting back to the original firmware. This was with an 'X' series rx.

Pat, thanks for that chart. If I read it correctly, the only receivers that will need to be updated are X series ones used on D16. Does that mean all my other receivers will not only not need to be changed but will remain bound? Or will I need to rebind them all?

If I read the list properly there's no reason for me not to update the RF section because I only have 1 X series receiver which I'm running on D16 so I can connect my vario to the S port which doesn't work on D8 for some reason.

Geoff

If you don't have any X Receivers then there is no need to do anything until you get one. You then have a choice:

1. Downgrade the firmware on the new X receiver to a pre January 2015 version

or

2. Upgrade the transmitter module to post April 2015 (new version came out 2 weeks ago). You need the EU version of the firmware

Either way you will need to make up or but the Firmware upgrade leads. Personally, I would upgrade the transmitter and get it over with, you are then 'future proofed'. If you are local to me (Cheshire), I'll do it for you, its not difficult and I have done a few now.

Martyn

Thanks, Martyn but the only reason for my reticence is that I wasn't sure how much I'd need to do to my existing receivers if I updated the RF software to the new EU standard. As I only have one X series receiver it seems it won't be too difficult.

I've successfully downloaded Mike's Maintenance Mode update for ver 2.0.16 which also seems happy with ver 2.0.17. It seems to work OK. At least switching on with both lower trims held outwards brings up theMaintenance Mode screen which offers 3 options

1. Update Bootloader

2 Update Int XJT

3. Update Ext SPort

Obviously the first 2 are internal to the transmitter but the last needs a link from the transmitter to the S Port of the receiver to allow it to be updated. The updating uses a cable from the JR module bay pins to the S Port. Some care is needed because the ground and +ve pins are reversed in the module. It's all shown quite clearly in Mike's instructions.

Not actually tried to use it yet but it looks promising.

Geoff

I've just tried to rescue a receiver, a desperate attempt to revive it by flashing the firmware. The SPort flashing process is simplicity itself. I used an SPort cable with + and - reversed at the transmitter end, put the .frk file in 'firmware' on the SD card, fired the Taranis up in maintenance mode and Bob's your Uncle, it does what it says on the tin.

Didn't help the rx though, I think a dodgy sbus decoder killed it as it still refuses to bind crying

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/05/2015 23:16:29

I've been downloading the .frk files form Frsky's site and loading them into a firmware folder on the SD card. What claims to be the final version to update the EU XJT module isn't an frk file it's a .rar file which doesn't show as an option in the Maintenance mode. All the other files do and the old internal XJT is also an .frk file. Is there an error on Frsky's download page?

The receiver firmware files show up as options OK but they're .frk files too so I'd expect them to.

What .frk files are other people using? I assume they're from the Frsky web site.

Geoff

I'm in a similar position but I did manage to down grade an EU spec RX to pre EU spec. Next step for me will be the FW on the taranis, I'm reading all the post's so I'm familiar with the process, I have about 5 or 6 X6 RX's and I can not decide weather to up grade those yet, although I will probably end up doing the new EU spec upgrade just to save any fuss in the future. I might do the total upgrade to EU spec towards the end of the summer just in case it dose'nt go well.

Thanks, Martyn. I knew that ... once upon a time I need reminding these days. My brain seems to be full of holes rather than information - or even data.

I now have all the necessary .frk files ready to update my Taranis. I've backed up my firmware. I just need the courage to do it. indecision Though I've no need to right now, I'm covering a new model for which I'll need either to steal a receiver from an existing model or buy a new one. Although I do have a number of very good Multiplex IPD 35Mhz receivers I think I'll continue down the Frsky path.

Geoff

Geoff

I spent some weeks/months trying to ignore the issue then some days reading the "how to's" then finally decided to update my Tx and existing (3) receivers to the latest EU compliant firmware.

After all the delay tactics, the updating was a complete non-event as the whole process took only a few minutes!

I used Mike Blandford's code and instructions which are very helpful and this video also helped me. Also, if you make your Tx-Sport lead a decent length, it is easy to take the Tx to your model and "do" the rx in situ.

Needed or not, I also re-bound and reset F/S on my Rx's - it's so easy to do just to make sure.

I have flown the upgraded systems since just to confirm..................... now on to version 2.0.17!

Thanks to the wisdom of those who contribute to this thread, I've just successfully upgraded my Taranis XJT to the EU spec. and have confirmed that it works, at least with the D4R-II receiver I have.

I've both X6R and X8R receivers on order, from T9 Hobbysport, which should arrive shortly, so I'll be able to confirm all is well then.

Just a query, is there any way to confirm which firmware is present in the XJT module? I can't find anything in the menu structures.

Thanks again for all you ssistance, GDB

Caveman: Yes. Go to the Radio set up menu (Looong press of the Menu button). Then just page through to the Version section (page 4 of 8) and it's all there.

Like you, I've learned a lot since I started this thread as well as got back up to speed on what I once knew. Some very helpful replies.

Geoff

Be AWARE that if you update the receiver "in situ", and power it from the Tx, you will supply 7.5 to 8 volts from the Tx to the Rx and ANY ATTACHED SERVOS. Make sure anything connected to the Rx is rated for 8 volts. The 'X' series receivers are, I believe, rated for 10 volts.

Mike.

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Taranis Plus and during this current weather decided to have a go at installing the EU firmware. I think/know I've messed it up because I can't now bind to any of my three X8R receivers. They were quite happily working in my models until now!

Anyone in the West Midlands prepared to help? I'm at Maxstoke near Coleshill and will happily pay a guru for assistance.

Keiron

From what I've seen on RCGroups the T+ only does D16 mode using the EU firmware so Keiron will need to upgrade his X8R receivers to EU firmware too.

Keiron, I travel up the A45 to Coventry every day and fly at Maxstoke Lane. I could put the receiver firmware on my transmitter SD card and drop in on my way home from work or at the weekend to update your receivers if you like.

You haven't filled in your profile so I can't PM my phone number!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/05/2015 21:27:02

ps - no pay needed, just a cuppa, 1 sugar and milk ta!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/05/2015 21:36:05