Rescued, restored and electrified Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300

Hi ladies and gents. Just some pics of my Ultimate Bipe which was rescued from the patches 'spares or repairs' corner after the previous owner had a mid-air with it. The top wing was ripped off with most of the mounting points for the cabane and interplane struts, and there was some ominous rattling from inside the wings. I had a 4Max motor and Esc around from a project that I did not get around too, so I though why not? I intended a quick fix just to get her in the sky in her original blue and yellow livery, but on closer inspection a full stripdown and re-build was called for. Most of the ribs were damaged, so were replaced or fixed as needed. Also the cabane mounting points were repaired and re-inforced with brass shim and light ply. I also built a battery bay right behind the firewall at an angle to accomodate a 6s lipo before replacing all the sheeting. It took longer than I anticipated, and could have built one from a kit quicker! Not as cheaply though - all servos and power train were already in the workshop so the bits I had to buy were a few sheets of balsa and new clevices etc. All ready for covering again.

_mg_9558 (copy).jpg

_mg_9560 (copy).jpg

Looking good! Oh, I also put two aileron servos in the wing instead of the original one servo with the bell crank system. Next was covering material. I normally use Solarfilm, but when I priced it up it got a bit scary. So I took a gambleand tried the Hobbyking film that is just over £6 for a five meter roll!!!

How bad can it be? 20 odd quid for 15 meters of covering?

_mg_9561 (copy).jpg

I love it! The perfect temp seems to be aound 128 - 135 degrees on the iron, it shrinks tiqht as a drum and sticks like billiho - even on the bit where I ran out Balsaloc. Having used Solarfilm for a long time I was suprised how much I love this stuff. The only draw back is that if you patch onto the coloured one with the iron too hot the adhesive shows as a thin cream line around the outside edge. The backing film was eisier to remove too! So a fifth of the cost and dead easy to use. I will be using this again!

_mg_9711 (copy).jpg

The power train is a 4max 5065 motor with an 80 amp esc and seperate ubec for the rx etc. Power comes from a 5000 6s lipo which slots into the top of the cowl. I fitted one of my 'role your own' pilots and also used some of the free instruments that were stapled to RCME last year to make a consol of sorts.

_mg_9705 (copy).jpg

The holes in the cowling from that smelly thing that was previously installed were filled with glass and epoxy and looks pretty good considering how much was missing. I thought I was going to struggle to match paint to the odd orange colour of the film, but a peruse around B&Q came up trumps with some small hobby rattlers that is a pretty spot on colour wise. The graphics I laser-cut onto solar trimat work.

_mg_9772 (copy).jpg

_mg_9740 (copy).jpg

Aint she pretty!

_mg_9741 (copy).jpg

He looked a bit worried before the maiden..

_mg_9742 (copy).jpg

And so did I behind the smile..

_mg_9743 (copy).jpg

I did not need to worry though, after holding her down on the take off run to get a nice bit of speed she pulled away strongly and was completely rock solid. A few clicks here and there and then tried some loops - she just powers through them, inverted no probs and rolls and knife edges the same. I am dead chuffed and I am glad I took the time and effort to restore the ultimate as she is so rewarding to fly.

She is my heaviest leccy plane and comes in at just over 9lb with the c of g hitting spot on without need for any ballast. On the meter she gives 1600 watts at 60amps turning a 16x10 prop - giving flight times of 6 minutes with 33% left in the ' tank' at the end. Not bad at all.

Cheers to you all, Simon

Advert

I love these types pf repair and renovation, in the 70s when I started R/C I would be doing this every week with trainers. I too have had excellent results with HobbyKing film so I am not surprised that you found it good to use. It is nice to know that the skills to 'do real aeromodelling' are not completely lost. More power to your elbow!

I have an old Vero Velox F/fF Pod and boom pusher. Nylon covered but needs a new skin on flying surfaces. i would also like to fit a small Rx and a couple of servos but there isn't much room in the pod. any suggestions welcome.

John

It is true that I have to keep interupting my builds due to the telephone and door bell constantly ringing with supermodels and fashion houses wanting advice for red carpet events......... Which is why I have to escape down the patch so much to get some peace. The club incidently is ARA at Sellindge near Ashford in Kent. Beautiful setting and very well kept strip. We do share with sheep though so dont wear your best shoes!

I had planned to make some spats as it jars me too with them missing. I have however got a Great Planes Cosmic Wind awaiting repairs to both wings and fuse due to the uc folding back on landing and punching very large holes which has put me off of them a tiny bit!

Thinking about it though I think I will knock some up and put a spinner on as it will finish her off nicely. smiley

Just as an aside we have an 82db noise limit at the club, and she came in at 72 which is lower than many other smaller electrics which is great.

Thanks for the positive comments, Cheers, Simon.

Ps. the fashion advice I give is free, so please feel free to try to emulate my style if you are brave enough. It does cost you more in sun tan lotion for your ankles though.